H2Oh dear

Options

Replies

• lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink only water with my meals. 16oz each with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and at least 8oz mid-morning and mid-afternoon (with snack.) If I want a different beverage (wine, soda, etc.) I still have to have my water first, and I don't count the other beverage (except unsweetened hot tea) into my water count.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It must have been amazing watching all those cavemen with their water bottles...

Seriously though, it's sad how easily everyone has fallen for the marketing gimmicks of the bottled water (and water bottle) industry. Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you're not. Everything you drink counts. Food you eat counts also. This obsession with people constantly carrying water with them for fear of dehydration literally came from a Gatorade marketing campaign.
  • AbbyDrav
    Options
    Being a stay at home mom, it is a daily battle. I have learned to fill up a Pampered Chef quick stir pitcher with water, lemon, and limes. I should drink one and a half of those babies and it is definitely difficult. My weight is not budging but 10 inches off since September. Slowly but surely.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I drink only water with my meals. 16oz each with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and at least 8oz mid-morning and mid-afternoon (with snack.) If I want a different beverage (wine, soda, etc.) I still have to have my water first, and I don't count the other beverage (except unsweetened hot tea) into my water count.
    Why does water that has something in it in solution not count as water?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    "I drink less in winter because it's not as hot out and I need less. "

I could be wrong, but I've heard that we actually need more water in the winter months than the summer because the air is dry and we don't absorb much moisture through our skin. (hence chapped lips, dry hands and other body parts).
    Possibly, but I live in Fresno where summers are routinely over 100º for weeks on end, and even going to the grocery store is a sweat-fest. :tongue:
    It must have been amazing watching all those cavemen with their water bottles...

Seriously though, it's sad how easily everyone has fallen for the marketing gimmicks of the bottled water (and water bottle) industry. Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you're not. Everything you drink counts. Food you eat counts also. This obsession with people constantly carrying water with them for fear of dehydration literally came from a Gatorade marketing campaign.
    Marketing gimmick? :huh: My city water tastes like crap. Filtered water from the fridge is good, but everyone uses a glass, then no one knows whose is whose halfway through the day, and it spills if I take it in the car. Colored water bottle solves these problems for me.

As for thirst, my problem is I don't feel thirsty until later in the day, and by then I'm suddenly parched and sucking down tons of water right before bedtime. Needless to say, I don't sleep real well after that. :smile: So I'm conscientious about drinking all throughout the day, as well as keeping an eye on pee color. Having my water bottle with me is convenient.

I don't live in a cave, club my food, or ride my dinosaur to my friend's cave. Just because cavemen didn't have water bottles doesn't mean I shouldn't. :wink:
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    In response to the cavemen didn't have water bottles.

I understand your sentiment however cavemen were not eating processed foods, except maybe the occassional stop at the local fast food drive through.

I think some people need more/less water than others but I also think most people in this country are walking around dehydrated for one reason or another. I would bet that half of the time someone is suffering from headache, fatigue etc. they just need to increase water intake for a few days.

But if you stick to a strict whole foods only diet you may not need so much water. I eat only whole foods. Nothing at all that is processed and I couldn't imagine starting the morning without a pint of water first thing.

As for the original question. at some point I got in the habbit of that pint of water in the morning and now it is second nature. Try a smaller amount to start if that is too drastic for you. Good luck.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work in an office that's always freezing, so I never feel like drinking water. I downloaded an app that reminds me to drink.

When it reminds me, I have a sip. Usually that sip shows me that I'm actually pretty thirsty and I'll drink some more. You log the amount you drink, and the apps continues to remind you until you've reached your daily goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I don't know how much water cavemen drank. I predict they drank when they were thirsty and had access. I bet they didn't have to watch their sodium levels, nor were they counting calories and macros and weighing and measuring their foods. I'd also venture to say they weren't drinking whey protein drinks in bottles with little metal balls either.
    :smile:
    I'll keep drinking my water. Don't know about gatorade. Do know I started with a bike bottle in the early 90s. Been drinking it since, instead of soda as my go to drink.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Maybe the cavemen had access to water all day long. However, I find that I'm usually running around during the day and, if I didn't carry a water bottle on school days, I wouldn't be drinking between 9 am - 6 pm except from a water fountain - and water fountains suck. Also, I use my 24 oz. water bottle at home because I don't have to fill it up as often as other glasses and it has a lid so I don't need to worry about spilling it on my laptop. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Help!

My new years resolution is to drink more water. So far I am sucking at it. I don't track it but on average I get in maybe 4-5 glasses a day on a good day.

How do you get down enough water?

Thanks!
    Rachael

I just make myself drink water. I have a glass at my desk, I take my 24 ounce water bottle to the gym with me, I have a glass sitting on the counter at all times so I can grab some water.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Maybe the cavemen had access to water all day long. However, I find that I'm usually running around during the day and, if I didn't carry a water bottle on school days, I wouldn't be drinking between 9 am - 6 pm except from a water fountain - and water fountains suck. Also, I use my 24 oz. water bottle at home because I don't have to fill it up as often as other glasses and it has a lid so I don't need to worry about spilling it on my laptop. :D
    They didn't. This whole, must carry water everywhere and drink constantly thing is a totally modern American concept that's about 20 years old. Before that, people pretty much drank at home, or at bars/restaurants. Maybe the office if the office had water. If we needed to carry water around with us constantly to stave off dying of dehydration we never would've survived as a species. Hell, if we NEEDED to drink water and only water we never would've made it out of the 1600s, as sanitation was so bad that no water in urban areas was clean, so the population subsisted on beer, as the alcohol killed the bacteria and made it safe to drink.

Funny how the human race didn't die out of dehydration while drinking almost no plain water. Kinda makes this whole water obsession rather silly, especially when taking into account the millions of people in third world countries who don't have access to water at all, as we literally waste gallons of the stuff every day.
  • tigersword
    Options
    In response to the cavemen didn't have water bottles.

I understand your sentiment however cavemen were not eating processed foods, except maybe the occassional stop at the local fast food drive through.

I think some people need more/less water than others but I also think most people in this country are walking around dehydrated for one reason or another. I would bet that half of the time someone is suffering from headache, fatigue etc. they just need to increase water intake for a few days.

But if you stick to a strict whole foods only diet you may not need so much water. I eat only whole foods. Nothing at all that is processed and I couldn't imagine starting the morning without a pint of water first thing.

As for the original question. at some point I got in the habbit of that pint of water in the morning and now it is second nature. Try a smaller amount to start if that is too drastic for you. Good luck.
    People are not dehydrated. Americans consume more fluid today than at anytime in history, based on historical research. This "everyone is dehydrated" thing came directly from a Gatorade marketing campaign, where they trumpeted a "study" showing 75% of people were dehydrated. The part they left out of this "study" was that it was conducted on people at the gym who just finished a 60 minute workout, before they had anything to drink. It was 100% advertising, 0% science.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Help!

My new years resolution is to drink more water. So far I am sucking at it. I don't track it but on average I get in maybe 4-5 glasses a day on a good day.

How do you get down enough water?

Thanks!
    Rachael

That actually *is* enough water ...
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    as far as I am concerned, if it is liquid and non-alcoholic, it counts as water!

At the risk of TMI, I don't log my intake. I just set a goal to have clear pee by the early evening. If it is clear, I drank enough water, obviously. (and I never drink plain water!)
  • Cjbiobaby
    Cjbiobaby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a Contigo too and it is great. Just sucks that mine doesnt have any measurements on it
    you can buy a sharpie and measure out your liquid and mark it off on the bottle.... that may help you. i want to know where to get these spill proof one hand to operate contigo bottles.... my bottles always leak....
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Easy to do. A pint = 2 glasses

1 pint before I go for a run in the morning
    Another pint when I get back, to have with my breakfast
    A pint of water in work in the morning
    A pint in the afternoon
    A pint when I get back home with my dinner

That makes 10 glasses...where's the problem?
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    #1 tip: get a container that's the size of your minimum water goal for the day. Fill it up each day and set it on your desk at work (or somewhere you see regularly if you don't work at a desk). Make your goal to finish that before leaving work and you'll be set for the day... even if you dont' drink any more!

I want to echo a couple other points too: get a water bottle for sipping that is 20 ounces or so. Fill this bottle up with your big one to make the portions more managable and think of the big jug as a guage for the day.

Crystal light really helps me out on days when I'm struggling to finish my water quota. I try not to use it all the time because of the sugar alcohols but if you're not watching your carbs/chemicals this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Try to have a few gulps of water before you do anything. Need to pee? (If you don't yet... you will!) Have some extra water on the way to the bathroom. Need to run to the copier? Grab a sip before you leave. Need to make a phone call? Grab a sip before dialing.

Good luck and drink up!
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't carry a bottle everywhere with me, but I do drink water at every meal (ever since I gave up soda).

I have a 32oz water bottle at work, mostly because I'm a klutz and I don't want to get water all over my desk and keyboard (I've ruined two that way already, thank you very much). When I first get to the office, I fill it with water and ice, try to make sure I finish half of it by 10am-ish, the other half by noon. Refill, then have half with lunch, and the last half washing down my meds and supplements.

64oz there.

Note that I said *TRY*. Some days I get so caught up in stuff that I realize I haven't had nearly that much, so I try to drink more at dinner.
  • MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A glass before every single meal and a glass with meals. It also helps you eat less...I felt like I was going to blow up after eating a three ounce pork chop yesterday. That's almost exactly how I've lost most of my weight - drinking water before meals!
  • JackiSto
    JackiSto Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally relate to the freezing office, and when I drink a ton of water I get so much colder!

I'm lucky in that I'm constantly thirsty and drinking something, but unlucky in that I'm completely addicted to Diet Coke and my office provides unlimited free soda and coffee. Making the decision to walk past the soda cooler to fill up my water bottle is a conscious one each and every time! I detoxed when I had time off over the holidays and now have been averaging one soda and 12 glasses of water a day! Woot!