Oh...Greek Yogurt...Got it.

Options
When I first started eating Greek Yogurt, I recognized that I wasn't eating the real stuff, because I ate Greek Gods Traditional Plain, which contains Pectin (a filler, I suppose). I thought it tasted nice, was low calorie for 4 oz., and it had the "healthy bacteria" without the added sugars.

So, then I started watching my protein, and do you know what I realized?

I can eat twice as much Kirkland's (Costco) Non-fat Greek Yogurt (8 oz.) and get SIX TIMES more protein than in GGTP.

That's a substantial difference!

So, if you are watching your macros and eating a low protein Greek Yogurt, you might take note that there are other brands loaded with protein AND you can eat twice as much.

PSA over :tongue:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The old saying comes to mind "read the labels"
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The old saying comes to mind "read the labels"

I did read the labels, but I was looking at calories, only. haha!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    oh try Siggi's if you can find it! it's also a much better calorie/sugar/protein ratio than even most greek yogurts. it is so rich. and the fruit ones aren't very sweet at all, just enough to be tasty, but with MUCH less sugar than other brands.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Pectin is a gelling agent which is why it's one of the main ingredients (besides sugar) in jams and jellies. Without it you'd just have a runny mess.

But that's not to say it belongs in yogurt.
  • steveramz
    Options
    When I first started eating Greek Yogurt, I recognized that I wasn't eating the real stuff, because I ate Greek Gods Traditional Plain, which contains Pectin (a filler, I suppose). I thought it tasted nice, was low calorie for 4 oz., and it had the "healthy bacteria" without the added sugars.

I can eat twice as much Kirkland's (Costco) Non-fat Greek Yogurt (8 oz.) and get SIX TIMES more protein than in GGTP.

So, if you are watching your macros and eating a low protein Greek Yogurt, you might take note that there are other brands loaded with protein AND you can eat twice as much.

Yes! I love the Costco stuff! Way cheap, and way beneficial!
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about in the US but in the UK they deceive people by calling it Greek Style yogurt. There are so many around that it's sometimes actually difficult to find the Greek yogurt, and that's if the store even stocks them.
    Unfortunate really, IMO.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Not too sure about in the US but in the UK they deceive people by calling it Greek Style yogurt. There are so many around that it's sometimes actually difficult to find the Greek yogurt, and that's if the store even stocks them.
    Unfortunate really, IMO.

Well, I think that they can't call it "Greek Yogurt," if it doesn't fit a specific criteria, which is why American Cheese is called "Processed Cheese Food," which doesn't fit the criteria to be labeled as cheese.

I have a marketing degree; I know their tricks, and I'm not buying into them. haha!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Yes! I love the Costco stuff! Way cheap, and way beneficial!

Yes! Costco rocks!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Pectin is a gelling agent which is why it's one of the main ingredients (besides sugar) in jams and jellies. Without it you'd just have a runny mess.

But that's not to say it belongs in yogurt.

Makes sense. I read up on it, and at the time, I didn't care, because it filled me up and was within my calorie budget. Now, I know it's cheated me of my protein! :angry: haha!
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    yes not all Greek yogurts are created equal...the term "greek" is not regulated by the FDA which allows anyone to throw a label on it and call it greek when indeed they are using fillers like pectin and cornstarch.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    oh try Siggi's if you can find it! it's also a much better calorie/sugar/protein ratio than even most greek yogurts. it is so rich. and the fruit ones aren't very sweet at all, just enough to be tasty, but with MUCH less sugar than other brands.

It appears comparable to Kirkland's yogurt? The serving size is 6 oz., though, vs. 8 oz. for Kirkland's, which makes it appear less caloric, sugary, etc., than other brands. I'll keep the brand in mind, though. Thanks!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    yes not all Greek yogurts are created equal...the term "greek" is not regulated by the FDA which allows anyone to throw a label on it and call it greek when indeed they are using fillers like pectin and cornstarch.

Well, yeah, and I knew that, but I'd say even eating Greek God's Plain vs. some of the popular brands is still a good step, in the right direction. You just don't get as much protein, which, you might WANT less, if you have trouble processing protein.

Marketing ploys, however, are something to be aware of, which is why I do look at the labels, and the ingredients list, when I'm focusing on calories, or protein, or fiber, or whatever happens to be my thing, at the moment, as I develop a proper diet for myself.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Well, yeah, and I knew that, but I'd say even eating Greek God's Plain vs. some of the popular brands is still a good step, in the right direction. You just don't get as much protein, which, you might WANT less, if you have trouble processing protein.

Marketing ploys, however, are something to be aware of, which is why I do look at the labels, and the ingredients list, when I'm focusing on calories, or protein, or fiber, or whatever happens to be my thing, at the moment, as I develop a proper diet for myself.

For me, non fat Greek yogurt isn't yogurt at all. I eat full fat (approx 10% mf) Greek yogurt. That stuff tastes amazing!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

For me, non fat Greek yogurt isn't yogurt at all. I eat full fat (approx 10% mf) Greek yogurt. That stuff tastes amazing!

Yeah, I like them both. I guess, it depends on what nutritional aspect you're concerned with. Some things, I do full fat, others I do part-skim, or non-fat. Just depends on how they taste and how they fit my goals. If taste is sacrificed, I just eat a smaller portion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Full fat taste's bitter to me- I don't like it- I prefer low or 10% honestly- I've tried both. I don't get the full fat thing... I'm all about fat - but that one just does not resonate with me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is why i switched from trader joe's greek yogurt to fage. the calorie amount are about the same, but fage has about 2.5 times the protein!