Booze, Brews, and Shine!

Options
I like to drink on the weekends sometimes! I'm sure you guys like to cut loose too. I don't overdo it. Sometimes I find myself skipping out on a party because I don't want to take in too many calories and that is no fun for a jovial, young college student, so help a girl out? Usually on a day I know I'll be eating dessert I just eat a little less at my meals or skip a snack but nobody wants to shave their calories on a day they know they will be partying because booze on an empty stomach is extremely unpleasant.

So, share your most calorically responsible drink preferences here!

I'm gluten free over here, so sharing gluten free drinks would be cool but certainly don't limit yourself. Also, I prefer mixed drinks that involve vodka. Mmm screwdrivers. I drink woodchuck(hard cider) sometimes but it is loaded with sugar and calories. So I try to avoid it.

Thanks party animals ;)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    flavored vodka and soda
    hendricks gin & tonic
    jameson and diet ginger ale
    spiced rum and diet cola or ginger ale
    maker's and diet cola
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Man, I always seem to reply to the booze threads 'cause they seem to get less meaningful advice. But I am not a total boozehound!

I would not skip out on any party due to calories - I would figure out a way to have some fun. Some ways to do so involve changing drink choices, restricting drinks, or just flat out not drinking but having fun at the party.

I don't know anything about gluten-free and drinking, so my content may suck.

* Liquor / spirits straight up (including flavored vodka) with some water on the side. Drink it neat; no need to take shots; imagine how cool you'll look sipping your highball of vodka. Have a glass of water with your double shot in a highball glass.

*Spirits with low cal mixers - diet coke; low cal tonic; flavored water; etc.

* Glass of wine (yeah - not happening at a party nor with your expressed tastes).

You can make it work - just think it through!
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I go out I scan meus for Skinny Margaritas (you may be able to ask if the bartender can make a margarita of just tequila, lime, and agave or simple syrup?) and Skinny Mojitos, on the rare occasion Skinny Long Islands, but I'm not huge on getting crunk. If it's a house party or just get together, I'll buy Mike's Lite or a bottle of wine and try to stick to a glass or two. All of those options should be under 150 calories. You can also check out the Skinny Girl brand. They have wines, liquor, and already mixed drinks that are all pretty popular, though not so cheap
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I was always lead to believe it isn't so much the alcohol but all the crap you mix with it and the crap it makes you eat afte drinking it that are the real problems. Spirits have the most bang for buck but wine has very little residual sugar and beer not a lot of hidden carbs either, these low carb beers might be low carb but the alcohol in the beer adds up to more calories than the hidden carbs do.

You can drink enough hard spirits neat over ice to get you pretty happy for less calories than you would probably have for dinner but mix those spirits with coke or something and you have doubled your caloric intake from your drinks. Then you get the munchies and hit McDonalds and the real problems begin!

Also, if the party is cranking and you are on your feet and moving most of the night then you are burning most of those calories anyway, just think about it like drinking back your exercise calories...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Also, if the party is cranking and you are on your feet and moving most of the night then you are burning most of those calories anyway, just think about it like drinking back your exercise calories...
    i dunno about that. i was just on vacation and drank 2K + worth of calories in about 2 hours (damn those hurricanes and hand grenades in go cups :explode: ) . even though i was walking around and doing stuff, i most definitely did not burn 2000 .
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    tequila. I wake up weighing less in the morning. Just drink it straight, though, no margaritas. Although Skinny Girl is not bad if you must have margaritas...
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm gonna investigate the skinny girl situation and see how that goes.

Also bump.
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A shot of Tequila mixed with tonic water! Low calorie whole drink that won't break the bank (unless you get patron!)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like mixing with water or seltzer and trying to have just a plain water or seltzer in between alcoholic drinks. I also love to dance so if there is music I will be working off the calories on the dance floor.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    vodka or gin mixed with soda water and a splash of lemon or lime juice is actually quite nice. Though I still opt for beer, but you want gluten free
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Get a 44oz Big Gulp cup from 7-11. Fill it with ice. Then fill with Grey Goose vodka. All it takes is one... This was my dinner for 20 years.
  • jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Vodka is my go-to also, but mixers are usually loaded with sugar and cals so I mix it with Crystal Light lemonade. Yummy and low in cals.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My normal routine is to drink so much that I forget the majority of what I drink and eat. That way the calories don't count because who knows if they even really happened??? #science
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Vodka and soda water. Sometimes I'll get grape vodka and it tastes like grape soda.

If I go for anything, like a cosmo, margarita, appletini I always ask for it to be not sweet.

My main thing that I typically drink though is wine.