Has anyone seen a real difference using 30 day shred?

Options
If any of you are doing the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, I was curious if you are seeing any real changes in your body by doing it? I have it and have done it a few times and want to get started doing it everyday, but want to know if I will see a difference just doing these at home workouts? What do you think?

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am going to start that in Jan-working my way up to it-but I have only heard great things about it. Hope it works for you! Every little bit helps-and there is nothing wrong with working out at home! I personally will only be getting my workouts from home.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 10 of the 30 Day Shred.....I am seeing a huge difference in my body composition! I have lost 1/2 inch in each of my waist & thighs, and 3/4 inch in my hips! I am not seeing the scale move, however. BUT, losing inches, and building muscle, and seeing a difference in my own strength and endurance is as important!

Do the program......You'll love the way you feel about yourself afterwards!
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    i'm starting level 3 today after 20 days at levels 1 & 2. Just last week I fit into jeans I hadn't worn in awhile. My weight loss wasn't huge right away, but apparently I lost inches - now the scale is starting to move, too.

I also do zumba @ the gym, but i'd say i feel a lot stronger from the strength exercises in the shred.

go for it!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I will be honest since I wanted people to be honest with me.....I did the 30 day shred faithfully every single day for 30 days. I didnt lose any pounds, and I think I MIGHT have lost one inch in my arms, but nothing meaningful or noticeable. I think I need more than 28 minutes a day to help me shed real pounds and inches. I was REALLY disappointed around days 17 and 18, but thought I would keep going since it had ONLY been 17 days, but alas...nothing. In fact, I ended up so discouraged that I gave up exercise and weight loss completely for 3 months and ended up gaining 10 more pounds :( (Not The Shred's fault...but still caused by my frustrating experience and feelings of failure when the shred "didnt work".)

Thats just my experience though...I just know that my body responds more effectively to running or workouts that are more cardio-intense.
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I have not yet found out exactly what my body responds best to, but the Shred is something that is totally do-able for me, so I want to keep doing it. I will do it for the 30 days & see what happens, but also like to hear what others have been able to accomplish with it. I also have the Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones, and it is a kick butt workout. Maybe after I do the Shred I will go back to that for a longer more intense workout.
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred will always have a place in my heart. It was the beginning of my journey of workouts with my coworkers.

This is how I begin gaining strength and then I went on to P90X. Life's circumstances got in the way and I gained back my weight and then some. So in January, I went back to my first love (30 Day Shred) and it prepared me for Insanity.

30 pounds later, I still believe 30 Day Shred is great. Its good to start your journey with and its also good when you can't do intense workouts. I plan on using it when I have foot surgery in January.

So, yes, I did see a real difference using 30 Day Shred.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was coming back here to add that it really is only 30 days, and if you already won the DVD, then it certainly doesnt hurt to give it a try! If it doesnt work, then youve only devoted 30 days to it :)

I have really nice success (weight loss and inches lost) with the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout and Cardio Max DVDs....they are longer than the 30 day shred workout, but really give me results :)
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day 3 but I already feel myself improving when I do the strength exercises - the first day I followed the "easy" version for every exercise, today I did the harder ones for a few of them, it felt great! I weight myself weekly so haven't even checked for changes yet, but I like the way I feel after it so I'll keep up with it. I mix in some other cardio every other day as well - so I do the shred every day, and every other day I ALSO do 30-40 minutes fast walking, or a different 20-minute cardio fitness video. I'm sore most days but it goes away once I start moving.
  • txchic_73
    Options
    I was coming back here to add that it really is only 30 days, and if you already won the DVD, then it certainly doesnt hurt to give it a try! If it doesnt work, then youve only devoted 30 days to it :)

I have really nice success (weight loss and inches lost) with the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout and Cardio Max DVDs....they are longer than the 30 day shred workout, but really give me results :)

I also have the Biggest Loser game for the Wii. It has some pretty tough workouts on it, and those are like 30 mins or more depending on how long you want to workout. I like those too, but don't often have that much time to dedicate to it. Maybe I should just switch things up every now and then, like do the Shred in the morning, and at night do another workout. Surely I will lose weight working out an extra 2-3 times a week right?
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes, you just have to work on your diet too. What are your exercise and diet goals? Are you planning to change your lifestyle? These are some of the things you need to ask yourself when starting this journey? Once you know what your ultimate goals are then you can plan accordingly.

If you are haven't been working out, 30 day shred is the best way to begin. If you have been working out for awhile, I would do 30 day for one of my workouts and then do something else another part of the day.

It is convenient when you don't have a lot of time to workout. But ultimately, for the maximum results, you may want to have at least 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength and abs, maybe 3 times a week.

Just write down your goals and how you plan to achieve them and what tools you have to help you achieve your goals. Then you can make your workout schedule based on all these items.

Good luch.
  • groucherella
    Options
    Is there alot of jumping around? I have been interested in this too, but I live in a 2nd floor apt.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I did "The Shred" last month and noticed some big differences. Day one it was huffing and puffing and resting to get through the workouts. Now I intermediately do a day here and there on whatever level and can get through without any difficulty. I do still sometimes have to step back and do the modified moves, but the point is to just never stop moving!

I also think I'm at a point in my weight loss where I need to have a lot more sustained cardio than "Shredding" offers. I plateaued for a bit as far as poundage; but as soon as I switched up my routine and started running, the weight has started coming off again. This leads to another indication of improvement for me: Before shredding, I was having a hard time running for any sustained amount of time. Even a simple one or two minute stint of jogging was difficult. Since shredding, I have been able to run for 8 or 9 minute stints with moderate breaks between. I think the stagnation in weight loss was a transition of fat to muscle because I've noticed more mass in my legs and chest. All those squats and planks really work!

So to make a long answer short, "Yes" Shredding has yielded some very nice differences for me.

As far as it being noisy. I live in an apartment as well. It does involve a lot of jumping moves, but I was able to keep it light enough that it didn't bother my neighbors enough for them to complain.
  • jfarmer1118
    Options
    Not to sound negative, but I tried the 30 day shred and couldn't get through it after trying for several days. Mind you, I seem to be more out of shape than some of the posters here. My plan has been to lose about another 10 pounds (I've lost a little over 20 so far) and then try it again. Probably after the new year.

If someone wants to start a group for the 30 day shred after New Years, I'd love to join. :)
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Is there alot of jumping around? I have been interested in this too, but I live in a 2nd floor apt.

Yes the 30 Day Shred does have a lot of jumping jacks, butt kicks, and jump rope in it. At least level one does. Maybe you could find a time of day that wouldn't upset the people below you?
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Not to sound negative, but I tried the 30 day shred and couldn't get through it after trying for several days. Mind you, I seem to be more out of shape than some of the posters here. My plan has been to lose about another 10 pounds (I've lost a little over 20 so far) and then try it again. Probably after the new year.

If someone wants to start a group for the 30 day shred after New Years, I'd love to join. :)

Did you try to do the modified version of the exercises? If I have a hard time getting thru one or 2 of them I just slow down, and walk in place, to keep moving, then get back after it. If you persist, you will get thru it - I promise. Just keep moving, no matter what exercise you are doing!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS and blogged about it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KarenBorter/view/30-day-shred-ongoing-41985 that's the link. I logged a bunch of stuff there. I lost 8.6 lbs in 30 days and 8.5" over all BUT I was also doing Cardio for 45 mins to an hour 5 days a week in addition to logging everything I ate and watched my sodium and drank my water.

Results are ultimately up to you :)
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Thanks Karen. I will have to check out your blog. I am just so tired of how I look when I am naked. You know? I am not pleased with how I look to myself in the mirror. I do not feel attractive anymore which has put a damper on my self esteem and my marriage. I need to do something to get the spice back in my life, and part of that for me is to slim down some so I will start to feel better about myself. My poor husband is getting neglected because I just do not "feel" attractive. Anyway, TMI, I know, sorry about that. But it is time to get serious and begin to make a change here!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    just bought it tonight....
    do we do 30 days straight with no break??
  • txchic_73
    Options
    just bought it tonight....
    do we do 30 days straight with no break??

Yes it is meant to be a 30 day workout routine with no break. I plan to try to do it for 30 days, 10 days on each level. But if I cannot do it, then I will take a day off to rest and then get back after it. We will see how well it works! I feel great after I do the workout though. Tonight my daughter who is 8 did it with me, well mostly. :) Good luck to you!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I did it with 1 day rest every week.