Honest truths, maybe a bit harsh (this is a tad long)

Options

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    to lina1131
    I was 195 when I had my daughter, and through breastfeeding, lost that weight. I wasn't exercising AT ALL, and I gained back ten pounds. So, the 37 lbs was pre-MFP.

You're still doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Thanks!
  • blel0906
    Options
    Great post-posts...I actually did join this sight as part of an effort to lose weight but I think losing weight if your heavy like myself is a great way to get healthy...I see some people do still buy into the fads and magic weight loss potions on here, I don't #1 I can't afford it #2 I've done them before and now I'm fat..LOL I wasn't fat when I tried out my first magic solution. I actually am trying to get healthy and change my bad habits...I'm sure I have a long way to go but I've already made 2 major improvements that regardless of weightloss can only benifit me #1 I gave up diet soda 15 days ago and #2 I have not hit one drive thru in the last 15 days. My meal/snack choices could probably use a little work but I'm staying within my calorie range and I feel satisfied with what I'm eating..not deprived like I have on other diets.

Ah Mcdonalds...I admit I am a regular...to the point that the drive in crew now knows me...you know you hit Mcdonalds too often when the guy at the window notices you are driving a different car one day. I've vowed to not grace them with my presence again for some time...Are they the Devil...No they were around when I was a kid remember the good old days when a trip to McDonalds, Burger King or Wendys was a special treat? They were there and just as convienient and cheap yet somehow my parents managed to only indulge us once maybe twice a year. I also have the choice when I do go not to choose a lard buger and fries...They do serve salads and grilled chicken sandwiches as well.

Truth is you can eat healthy on a budget! Shocking I know but its true...
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Especially liked #5. I think that all the time when I read some of these posts. I just have to laugh :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

5) If you can't laugh at yourself, then you need to lighten up. Smile, smiles focus people on your face, if nothing else, that'll keep them from looking at your flab (I really HOPE that's true at least).

Appreciate the TOUGH LOVE! :laugh: Thanks for the reminder: while we're all here to take our health more seriously, doesn't mean we need to take ourselves so seriously that taking care of ourselves becomes drudgery... :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    3) Stop making excuses. I see it on here constantly and it's just weakness. Sorry for being blunt, but it is. Toughen up a little will you?
    Amen.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post! It may seem harsh, you're right, but it really is the truth. And while many come here for weight loss I truly believe what they gain is insight on how to be a healthier version of themselves while losing weight. This is important in adopting new ways to remain healthy. As far as fast food goes- we all have a choice. SO TRUE. If so many people did not go in on their own free will to buy the stuff then they wouldn't be doing so well and have a store on every corner. A lil' off subject by I complain to my boyfriend about how sports players make way too much money. I think it's crazy that they get paid what they do. His reply? We are the ones that make it so. We are the ones that buy the game tickets, souvenirs, etc. We are the ones putting money into the industry and subsequently into their pockets. Anyhoo, thanks again for the honesty!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Take the time to reach out to someone else at the gym or when your working out and smile - say hello, ask them how their workout is going and most of all PROVIDE ENCOURAGEMENT.

I try to say hi or ask people at the gym how it's going, but usually only other guys. It feels weird saying it to the women and I don't wanna be 'creepy guy'. That's sad tho really 'cuz there's lots of times I see women killing it on various equipment and would like to say something, but I don't. I've been going to Lifetime Fitness here in the Twin Cities for over 14 yrs now and I've been seeing many of the same people during all that time. Dangit, we ought to be able to say Hi, you know?! I feel like I spend more time with these people than with my wife sometimes. Heheh But it makes me want to have a shirt made that says something to the effect of "Just cuz I say Hi doesn't mean I'm hitting on you." :-/
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    personally, I think there's a big difference between sending someone a message or talking to someone and complaining, and posting a complaint on a public board. I mean, I wrote this, fully expecting it to be criticized by some. That's fine, but a lot of people post messages on the board and are truly shocked to find that other people don't always give unwaivering support. I guess it's just me, but if I post something in a public forum, I expect the worst before I hit send, that way I'm never over emotional about the negative comments (I.E. alternative viewpoints). That doesn't mean I expect to be personally savaged, but there's a difference between differing opinions (even if they are heated) and flaming someone.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Take the time to reach out to someone else at the gym or when your working out and smile - say hello, ask them how their workout is going and most of all PROVIDE ENCOURAGEMENT.

I try to say hi or ask people at the gym how it's going, but usually only other guys. It feels weird saying it to the women and I don't wanna be 'creepy guy'. That's sad tho really 'cuz there's lots of times I see women killing it on various equipment and would like to say something, but I don't. I've been going to Lifetime Fitness here in the Twin Cities for over 14 yrs now and I've been seeing many of the same people during all that time. Dangit, we ought to be able to say Hi, you know?! I feel like I spend more time with these people than with my wife sometimes. Heheh But it makes me want to have a shirt made that says something to the effect of "Just cuz I say Hi doesn't mean I'm hitting on you." :-/
    Word. I am from the Twin Cities and I'd say hello, but I go to Anytime.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Excellent, excellent post! Thanks again for stating something so well. I totally agree with you!
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    This is a great post and I thought you made your arguments thoughtfully. I agree with you 100%.
  • HOPEful27
    Options
    I really don't have an opinion on your post either way, I just thought it was funny you said MFP is about health & fitness, and is NOT a weight loss site. Below is the message on the first page whenever someone comes here.................

Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goal
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    not really sure about the point of the above statement. I thought I was pretty obvious about this being my opinion and impression of the site. What does this have to do with that? Are you trying to say that I can't have an opinion that is different from the original intent of the site?
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I :heart: your posts. Just sayin'. :blushing:

I think a lot of these things are issues that new MFP members face. When you've been here a while, they become common sense. Unfortunately, I don't think a ton (hehe, no pun intended) of people read the sticky threads that scream "Read Me!!!!!!!"

Maybe we should have MFP bootcamp. :wink: Required before being able to ask a question!
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LVOE THIS POST. Honestly, I sit and read the posts when I'm bored at work (don't tell my boss!!) and a lot of times I'm thinking the exact same things stated in the original post here. Thanks for saying it in a much nicer way than I'm thinking it!!:wink:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :heart: this.
    Thanks again Banks, you always know what to say and how to say it.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Great post Banks, as per usual! Some people need it put out there for them without sugarcoating, it IS about being healthy, and the weight loss is just a bonus! Thanks again for a super post!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    bump for later.