Tendinosis, long term shoulder pain

Options
Have any of you ever had Tendinosis and long term shoulder pain? What did you do for it? Did you have other complications with it? How did you get rid of it, or do you still have it?

Replies

• KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • no1dragn
    no1dragn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hope someone has an answer for this question. Same problem here. So far all the doctor has done is give me drugs. All that is doing is masking the issue.
  • Dan_Lifts
    Options
    Several weeks of physical therapy did the trick on both the tendinosis in my forearm and a partially torn labrum in my shoulder. Various angles of wrist stretches to loosen up the muscles in my forearm, eccentric negative curls with both wrist and forearm to strengthen the tendon. PT did massage and cross-friction massage on my forearm. For the shoulder, mostly rotator cuff strengthening stuff. When I went back to the gym from the shoulder injury, I found that Facepulls really helped finish fixing and bullet-proofed my shoulder against more injury...so far. I recommend PT, it really helps to have some direction & not just take on rehab yourself.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I do!

When it first started bothering me:
    Physiotherapy, anti inflammatory drugs, and rest/limited movement of the shoulder.

Now (months later... I still have problems and need to be careful):
    Strength training, continuing with the exercises I learned at physio, watching that I don't over exert myself with that shoulder.

I have very limited pain now. I was in horrible pain when it first was bothering me.

ETA: I have bicep tendinitis, with tendinosis of the supraspinatus muscle.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I suffered months with this finally after about 18 months i am getting some releif. i have had cortisone injections & i bought s shoulder support which really heleped.
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    \I hope someone can answer that also. I was just diagnosed with Tendonitis and Bursitis:( I am frustrated and discouraged because I feel like my progress is slowing down at the gym with my workouts. So many things I am unable to do now. It started in August and is now worse:(
  • grammagie
    Options
    My Dr. really doesn't want to do a cortisone injection, but I think I may insist on it. How painful is getting the actual shot?
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've had both

Best thing I did was rest it for two weeks - no exercises that put any stress on the arm or shoulder for two weeks, then slowly started back on it.

Maybe it was a placebo affect, but I used KT Tape on my elbow for about a month when I started working it out again and it seemed to help. Most days I have no problems, but if it is feeling stiff or tight in the morning, I put an elbow support/sleeve on before I hit the gym.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    initially nothing then it was a dull ache for 2 days after then releif i would defo recommend x
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Have you had an MRI?

Tendinitis and tendinosis are vastly different creatures.
  • KBGAgent
    Options
    Several weeks of physical therapy did the trick on both the tendinosis in my forearm and a partially torn labrum in my shoulder. Various angles of wrist stretches to loosen up the muscles in my forearm, eccentric negative curls with both wrist and forearm to strengthen the tendon. PT did massage and cross-friction massage on my forearm. For the shoulder, mostly rotator cuff strengthening stuff. When I went back to the gym from the shoulder injury, I found that Facepulls really helped finish fixing and bullet-proofed my shoulder against more injury...so far. I recommend PT, it really helps to have some direction & not just take on rehab yourself.

Dan,
    I think finding PT as good and focused as yours is hard. My PT has regained range of motion. But not strength or removal of pain. My gut tells me that I'm not doing the right stuff, that they have me doing light weights, but, I shouldn't be doing them at all. I'm really interested for you to tell all about about eccentric strengthening and trans-friction massage. Can you spill all about what that helped with and how long it took and what you did or was done to you?

Anyone else on those subject, brain dump it, please !
  • KBGAgent
    Options
    My Dr. really doesn't want to do a cortisone injection, but I think I may insist on it. How painful is getting the actual shot?

Depending on how long you've had it, over 2 weeks, its a good chance your tendonitis is turning into tendinosis. You may not want the cortisone shot at that phase.

Best writeup I've found on the difference. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312643/

I took the shot, I didn't find it that painful. It did not fix the problem either. My shot was about 2 months after injury onset.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ever had Tendinosis and long term shoulder pain? What did you do for it? Did you have other complications with it? How did you get rid of it, or do you still have it?

De-load
    Physical therapy
    ART
  • grammagie
    Options
    \no I keep hearing it is only a temporary solution and that it comes back and probably will. I think I will get on Monday..see if it helps, even for a short time:)