49, female, tried everything

Options
1235»

Replies

• drizzlesugar
    Options
    I also struggled to lose weight. I have lost 28 lbs so far in a little over 4 months with myfitnesspal. I try to exercise 6 days a week and have been eating a vegan diet. I would love to add you as a friend. Don't be discouraged, there are a lot of helpful, positive people on this site.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I am also 53, short, and hypothyroid.
    I'm female, 53, short and hypothyroid. I refer to this as the trifecta of crap getting in my way. I'm down 50 pounds (with a bit more left to go). It can be done,even when you think you have stuff working against you.

Start, as others have suggested with logging it all: the good, the bad, the ugly. This will give you a place to start. You can start making adjustments to what you're eating. Then, once you are in the habit of logging, start other stuff. Adjust the kinds of foods you eat to get more nutrients shoved in your face, start to walk on a regular basis. Then walk more. Then ponder the joys of other "moving stuff" you could be doing: yoga, lifting, running, slinging hay bales, whatever seems like it would be sustainable for you.

While you're doing that, start searching the forums for the often quoted and referred to messages (a guide to start you on your way to sexy pants) is one I can think of off the top of my head.

Start reading the forums and look for posters who seem to make sense to you. Then start watching for all the stuff they write. There are an incredible number of generous and helpful people here who share their knowledge. It won't take long to separate those who are offering up snake oil from those who offer up solid advice.

Build your own friend list of supportive people. If you can, gather them from all different experiences. I'm convinced that my FL is one of the biggest contributors to the success I've had so far. They encourage me, they redirect me when I start to go off track, they listen to me, and maybe most importantly, they make me laugh. On a regular basis.

It's not complicated, but it is hard. Some days harder than others. But it is doable. If I can drop 50 pounds and actually learn to love running, anyone can. Really. Just take a step in the right direction and the next day, take another step.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Looks like we've been losing at about the same rate.

I also struggled to lose weight. I have lost 28 lbs so far in a little over 4 months with myfitnesspal. I try to exercise 6 days a week and have been eating a vegan diet. I would love to add you as a friend. Don't be discouraged, there are a lot of helpful, positive people on this site.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Already replied. :smile:
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump