Is my routine correct to lose weight?

Options
I'm 27 years old guy (weighing 195 lbs and I'm 5'7'' tall) and I've been exercising for two months now. (Only Cardio). This is my routine:

30 mins - Stationary Recumbent Bike (other bikes give me back pain)(I have back issues)
10-15 mins - Treadmill at 2.5 to 3 mph
10 mins Elliptical

Sometime I change the routine to not do the same thing all the time.

3 days a week.

How does this sound? Will I see benefits from this? For now I only want to lose weight, once I lose weight then I can do strength exercises.

I'm also having 1800 to 2000 calories a day and I don't usually eat my exercise calories back.

Please advice and let me know if I can improve my exercise routine.

Replies

• sjaykay13
    Options
    I tried your routine for a while and only saw small results. It wasn't until I shortened my workouts and ramped them up that I saw the scale move. If you have back issues, I suggest doing 15 mins on the bike and 15 on the elliptical but do some interval training ie. 3 min warm up, 1 minute high intensity, 30 seconds rest, repeat, move to next machine, then a 3 min cooldown. Also adding in weight training, even if just the machines at your gym and slowly venturing to free weights. I did strictly cardio for 3 months before I tried weight lifting. The first time my boyfriend put me through his routine (even with small small weights) I was ready to puke and pass out. Which meant that all my cardio work wasn't exactly what I thought it was. The goal shouldn't be to push yourself too hard but adding in weight training, even 15 mins, will help out so much more than 15 mins on the treadmill!

Good luck!!
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    BTW, your calories seem right, try keeping to 1800 though and only eating 2000 if you really feel like you need it
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If all you're trying to do is lose weight right now, you don't need to over-think it too much. Anything you do that burns extra calories will help.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 years old guy (weighing 195 lbs and I'm 5'7'' tall) and I've been exercising for two months now. (Only Cardio). This is my routine:

30 mins - Stationary Recumbent Bike (other bikes give me back pain)(I have back issues)
    10-15 mins - Treadmill at 2.5 to 3 mph
    10 mins Elliptical

Sometime I change the routine to not do the same thing all the time.

3 days a week.

How does this sound? Will I see benefits from this? For now I only want to lose weight, once I lose weight then I can do strength exercises.

I'm also having 1800 to 2000 calories a day and I don't usually eat my exercise calories back.

Please advice and let me know if I can improve my exercise routine.

If your TDEE is higher than your caloric intake, you will lose weight. Make sure you are accurate on the calories burned, as well as the calories consumed. As long as you are eating less than you are burning, you will lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Exercise routines aren't for losing weight they are for fitness and health. One could lose weight without exercise. Calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight and that has more to do with your total eating habits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no reasonto wait until you've lost weight to start strength training. start now and that way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

it makes absolutely no sense to skip strength training to lose muscle mass and then go back and try to rebuild muscle that you lost. just strength train now to keep the muscle you already have and you wont have to rebuild afterwards
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Table push aways and fork put downs should be a regular part of your weight loss routine.

All the rest of the working out is just to make you feel better and be more fit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    no reasonto wait until you've lost weight to start strength training. start now and that way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

it makes absolutely no sense to skip strength training to lose muscle mass and then go back and try to rebuild muscle that you lost. just strength train now to keep the muscle you already have and you wont have to rebuild afterwards

This^^^

Your calories are close. I would eat closer to that 2000 than the 1800 though.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the typical CALICO (Calories In, Calories Out) idea holds true. However, like one of the posters mentioned, I would do some HIIT (high intensity interval training) and some weights. I used to think just like you, I will lose and then do weights. However, weight training will actually up your metabolism for a longer amount of time, which means you are burning calories for more of the day vs. what you are burning in the moment with cardio (that is the simplified version). Anyhow, IMHO, do a bit of both, watch what you eat, move more/eat less, and stay with it! :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to make sure your calorie intake is lower than your calories burned. You can achieve this by eating less, or by exercising and eating more. Enough sleep will also help you lose a few pounds.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to make sure your calorie intake is lower than your calories burned. You can achieve this by eating less, or by exercising and eating more. Enough sleep will also help you lose a few pounds.

Enough sleep will make you less tired, and maybe feel better, but it will not help you lose weight. Eating fewer calories than calories burned will do that.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Enough sleep will make you less tired, and maybe feel better, but it will not help you lose weight. Eating fewer calories than calories burned will do that.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.. Sleep affects your hormones which has an effect on.....your metabolism. ;-) Sleep deprivation can also change your basal metabolic rate, slowing down how many calories you burn just doing basic functions.

Back in college the trainers stressed how important sleep was.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/sleep-more-weigh-less
  • bsnpr24
    bsnpr24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I will take them in consideration. Apart from doing Cardio, what Strength exercise should I do? What do you recommend?

I would like to do a minimum of 50% to 60% cardio and the rest strength. I would like to do from 45 to 60 minuntes.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have a look round the gym and see what types of equipment they have, Kettlebells, Free Weights, Machines? See which you like the look of and Google routines for what you choose. Don't forget about Bodyweight training either, no equipment necessary other than maybe a pull up/chin up bar and you can progress an awfully long way with using nothing more than your own bodyweight as resistance.
    The best routine is one you enjoy and therefore carry on doing, anything you consider a chore or boring will ultimately be dumped.

Good luck.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I will take them in consideration. Apart from doing Cardio, what Strength exercise should I do? What do you recommend?

I would like to do a minimum of 50% to 60% cardio and the rest strength. I would like to do from 45 to 60 minuntes.

Look up starting strength or strong lifts to find a good basis for a lifting routine.

Soooooo.....any reasoning behind those ratios you're setting for lifting vs cardio?
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options

As someone with back issues myself, I suggest staying away from the free weights. There are a lot of good machines you can use that will give support to your back. Just try out different things with low weight first to see if it affects your back and then increase the weight to what you can handle.