HELP! Supplements and Stacking Nitrates

Options
I'm kinda new to supplements and just wanted to know if anyone can offer any input.

I'm currently taking:
GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active Dietary Supplement (2 Scoops When I Wake Up)
GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ Platinum Edition( 1 Scoop 30 Minutes Before and 1 Scoop Right After Work Out)
Cellucor® C4 Extreme (One Scoop 15-20 Minutes Before Workout)

I also purchased GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Maxertion N.O.™ which I have not started taking YET.

My main question is about the N.O.
Is it safe to stack it with the C4 (which contains creatine nitrate) if I take the N.O. 60 minutes before my workout?
Or should I just take the N.O. first thing in the morning. (I've also read it's best to take N.O. right before bed, opinions?)

Thanks Everyone!

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    When I was talking C4 and 2000mg L-Arginine before working out all the time. Though I stopped with the C4 I still take the L-Arginine preworkout.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I can't believe some of the names GNC think up for these supplements! :laugh:
    I think you're over thinking things way too much.
    If you are already getting N.O. in the Cellucor, why are you taking an additional supplement for it?
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    I'll bee taking 3300mg of L-Arginine, so I guess it should be okay if you didn't have any issues. And there will be a 45 minute gap between the L-Argenine and the C4.

And the names are kind of crazy! Haha but I wanted to take more N.O. just because of the over all health benefits and I'm under the impression that even though C4 has nitrates in it, the formula is really for the creatine. And then again, maybe you're right and I'm thinking about it way too much lol. I just don't want to have blood pressure issues from too many nitrates.

Thanks Guys!
  • stt43
    Options
    I've never really seen the benefit of N.O. so I've never taken it myself.
    Yeah, the benefits from C4 come mostly from the creatine, but the caffeine makes a lot of difference, and the beta alanine can help a little too.
    Also, it doesn't really matter when you take your protein supplement, as long as you hit your overall target protein intake for the day.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I have no advice you would be willing to take. I'm only commenting because I want to know what your monthly GNC bill total is?

Please share with us how much you are spending every month for these?
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    I'm open to all sorts of advice so feel free to share. I haven't totaled everything up yet, I'll get my receipts together and get a total in a few hours.
  • stt43
    Options
    I have no advice you would be willing to take. I'm only commenting because I want to know what your monthly GNC bill total is?

Please share with us how much you are spending every month for these?

Prices may be different in the UK where I am, and I don't really go in GNC, but it must be like $100-$150 for all of those supplements, although I don't know how long each would last.
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    I spent $150 this past month for the 4 supplements. That's with the member discount and their in-store promotions. I worked it out with out their promotions and just the member price, and it's $188 per month.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I spent $150 this past month for the 4 supplements. That's with the member discount and their in-store promotions. I worked it out with out their promotions and just the member price, and it's $188 per month.

Wow. That's like a week and a half of great food for me and two kids. I take a multivitamin, fish oil and Vitamin D. It costs me like $15 and lasts 2 months. I don't see the point in spending tons of money on supplements. Diet is far more important.
  • stt43
    Options

Wow. That's like a week and a half of great food for me and two kids. I take a multivitamin, fish oil and Vitamin D. It costs me like $15 and lasts 2 months. I don't see the point in spending tons of money on supplements. Diet is far more important.

I think it's about four weeks worth of food for me. I take the same, though I do spend just under £15 ($25) a month on 1kg protein powder, and creatine when it's given away as a free gift with my protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda new to supplements and just wanted to know if anyone can offer any input.

I'm currently taking:
    GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active Dietary Supplement (2 Scoops When I Wake Up)
    GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ Platinum Edition( 1 Scoop 30 Minutes Before and 1 Scoop Right After Work Out)
    Cellucor® C4 Extreme (One Scoop 15-20 Minutes Before Workout)

I also purchased GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Maxertion N.O.™ which I have not started taking YET.

My main question is about the N.O.
    Is it safe to stack it with the C4 (which contains creatine nitrate) if I take the N.O. 60 minutes before my workout?
    Or should I just take the N.O. first thing in the morning. (I've also read it's best to take N.O. right before bed, opinions?)

Thanks Everyone!
    90% of most supplements aren't needed in a balanced diet. Why do you need NO?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • feedthebohemian
    Options
    My biggest concern is that I'm pretty active (gym 5-6 times per week, 20 minutes hard cardio, 45 minutes 3x3 lifting heavy) on a restricted calorie diet (1200-1300) so I see the supplements as a way I can achieve my fitness goals and weight loss goals with out going over my calorie goal for the day. But correct me if I'm wrong! I'm pretty new to all of this and I want to hear everyone's opinions/advice/experience.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Subscribed.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    That is a crap CRAP CRAP ton of money to spend on supplements. My advice to you, if you would hear it, is to focus more on the things that are actually widely tested in independent studies and peer reviewed. Screw spending cash on all the pre-cursor crap that may or may not...they just havent gotten around to independent study yet crap.

As of today the things that have been widely researched and proven to work (keeping it legal mind you):

For increasing max workload:
    -Creatine
    -Beta Alnine (keep in mind this takes weeks for a loading phase)

For Energy and focus for workout intesity
    -Caffeine
    -Vitamin B complex

For recovery and rebuild
    -Whey | whey isolate in a protein heavy diet | No need for all the additive crap, just find the highest amount of quality protein at the lowest cal count you can and put it in your belly.
    -Fish Oil - lube dem joints up.

If you purchased all these separately (and online) you would save a crap ton of money and have a superior little setup going IMO.

Anybody else please feel free to add to this list of things that are actually scientifically proven to work .

I know plenty of people who have went the N.O. route with hopes and dreams of having buldging veins...never really panned out for them.
  • stt43
    Options
    My biggest concern is that I'm pretty active (gym 5-6 times per week, 20 minutes hard cardio, 45 minutes 3x3 lifting heavy) on a restricted calorie diet (1200-1300) so I see the supplements as a way I can achieve my fitness goals and weight loss goals with out going over my calorie goal for the day. But correct me if I'm wrong! I'm pretty new to all of this and I want to hear everyone's opinions/advice/experience.

If I were you I would just increase my calories instead.
  • stt43
    Options
    That is a crap CRAP CRAP ton of money to spend on supplements. My advice to you, if you would hear it, is to focus more on the things that are actually widely tested in independent studies and peer reviewed. Screw spending cash on all the pre-cursor crap that may or may not...they just havent gotten around to independent study yet crap.

As of today the things that have been widely researched and proven to work (keeping it legal mind you):

-Creatine

-Caffeine
    -Vitamin B complex

For recovery and rebuild
    -Whey | whey isolate in a protein heavy diet | No need for all the additive crap, just find the highest amount of quality protein at the lowest cal count you can and put it in your belly.

If you purchased all these separately (and online) you would save a crap ton of money and have a superior little setup going IMO.

Anybody else please feel free to add to this list of things that are actually scientifically proven to work .

I know plenty of people who have went the N.O. route with hopes and dreams of having buldging veins...never really panned out for them.

Plus, even if something has been proven to work it doesn't necessarily mean it's worth taking either. Supplements may make a few percent difference, which may or may not give results that worth the price, depending. However, if someone doesn't have the other 90% sorted then it seems a bit silly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You are spending a crazy amount of money on supplements that really aren't doing much of anything for you. Focus on the things that matter: food, rest, and training.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

-Creatine

-Caffeine
    -Vitamin B complex

For recovery and rebuild

Plus, even if something has been proven to work it doesn't necessarily mean it's worth taking either. Supplements may make a few percent difference, which may or may not give results that worth the price, depending. However, if someone doesn't have the other 90% sorted then it seems a bit silly.

Extremely valid point.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

If I were you I would just increase my calories instead.

I agree with this. Make sure you are eating enough. I'd rather fuel my workouts with food and feel good than restrict calories and supplement to make it through workouts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Supplements don't do much for fitness. May attribute about 1% from your overall results. And if stayed in calorie deficit, weight loss will happen. The ONLY supplement I would advise you to use is protein since it's a building block of muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition