Love the One You're With!

Options
**I just blogged this but people suggested I post it on here so others could read it... :o)**

Hello Fellow MFP'ers!

I'm such a huge advocate for this site. I absolutely love it. I've never met a more supportive group of people. I suppose its because we are all working towards the same goal in one, way, shape or form. None the less, I truly thank God a friend showed me MFP.

I mentioned on a status earlier this week that at my Zumba class there was a delightful woman taking the class with me and she mentioned that she was doing weight watchers through their website. She wasn't too thrilled with it because of how negative everyone was online. While I've never been on the WW's site to be able to comment, I encouraged her to come join us on MFP. Because we are awesome!

We are supportive, encouraging and even when we have our bad days, at least we are online talking about it! I love being on here and being able to ask my exercise questions and chit chat with everyone about their struggles and their victories! I care about the people who float across my news feed and how their life is going that day. My heart goes out because I understand the burden, the commitment of making such a huge lifestyle change. And I think we all understand that for each other. We have compassion and kindness for our fellow MFP'er when the occasional status reads “Scale didn't move today. :(“ or “I went over my calories...what is wrong with me?” Because we have been there done that!

But this got me thinking. *Oh no! Tara is thinking! Duck and cover!* I see so many pal's out there encouraging and comforting fellow pals when they have bad days: Would you do the same for yourself? Hear me out on this one. I know we all have bad days. There are so many factors. Kids, spouse, hormones, weather...a bird just flew the wrong direction and threw off the trajectory thus leading to a rip in the time space continuum which resulted in a bad day. I SO understand! Lol! But since we are on this site, more likely then not we have other reasons lending themselves to our bad days.

I think back to a year ago when I started on this site. I was getting ready for a hysterectomy. I was sicker then about 239 dogs and 125 cats. I couldn't get up off the couch to do anything for myself. I was miserable because of my weight which was 185 pounds on a good day. If someone had come to me A YEAR ago while I was laying on that couch and told me they had the exact same symptoms, I would have cried with them. Comforted them. Sympathized with them. But I never gave myself that same compassion. That same kindness. I was just hard on myself. Throughout my weight loss journey I was hard on myself. Why haven't I lost? Why did I eat that? Why isn't this darn scale moving?

Its SO hard not to give in to those negative feelings when you are working so hard to do such a positive thing for your life. But if someone was standing in your bathroom, on your scale, and looked at you with tears in their eyes: What would you tell them? That they weren't doing good enough? That they needed to try harder? That they out right sucked? Or would you tell them that tomorrow is another day! Maybe you need to mix things up a bit, lets look at your diet and see what we can change. We can't stop the bad days from coming but we can change how we react to them.

If I could change anything from this past year and my weight loss journey, I would go back and be my friend. Because I never was. That's what I needed. And that is MOST assuredly what you need. You can be your harshest critic or you could also be your most loyal friend. You need to tell yourself exactly what you would tell anyone else.

This journey is huge. Its a change from the inside out. If you can learn this then you are learning a skill that is irreplaceable that no one could ever take away. Since you are making the effort to improve your bod and become that skinny minnie: Why not love the one you are with? No matter what size jean you are in at the time?

Spoken from someone who wishes she had... :o)

Replies

• numberscolors
    Options
    this is great! i would NEVER treat someone else in the horrible, hateful way i treat myself, sometimes. sometimes i catch myself thinking the meanest thoughts about my body and my capabilities that i would never think about my worst enemy! it's sad. i'm gonna try to be kinder to myself, just for today :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    OMG, you are so awesome!!! This post made me cry at work. Luckily I am sequestered in my tiny hole of an office. :) Thanks for encouraging us to be encouraging to ourselves!!! Well said!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Amen!

Charmagne
  • Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    Wow!! Whole new perspective on our self esteem and self worth and this battle we are all fighting.
    Thank you!!!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    this is great! i would NEVER treat someone else in the horrible, hateful way i treat myself, sometimes. sometimes i catch myself thinking the meanest thoughts about my body and my capabilities that i would never think about my worst enemy! it's sad. i'm gonna try to be kinder to myself, just for today :)

EXACTLY!! lol!!! I would never think my worst thoughts against myself against my worst enemies! Sigh...how twisted up we get!

:o)
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Very insightful and very true. Thanks for the shedding the light! :)
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Great post! Gotta be honest...it put a few tears in my eyes.
  • Ready2lose4ever
    Options
    Tara, Thank you so much for this post. I have been on this site for over a year, going on 2 years. I started on here on January 1, 2009 as Lauramg, I then changed my name to MOMOFTWO29. I lost 52 pounds and then on May 29, 2009 my family and I were involved in a car accident. None of us were hurt except bruises. I was driving and a truck pulled out in front of me and I tried really hard to stop but I couldn't. I had no other choice but to hit him. The guy in the truck had no insurance, and was driving with a suspended drivers license. My mom who was with me, my hubby, and our 2 kids told the guy that she was calling the police and he is like no don't do that and she said yes I am going to call the police, so this guy gets in his truck and leaves the scene of an accident. The police got him a week later, however with him having no insurance my uninsured motorist on my insurance had to pay to have my van fixed, and I had to deal with all that stress of having to deal with the insurance company calling me. The point to all this rambling is: I let stress and life get in my way and I gained the 52 pounds I had lost back plus 3 more. I lost faith and hope in myself and I gave up and I beat myself up over it each and every day. I wish that I would not have done that. I came back to this site once as SeminoleFan30, then gave up again and now I am back again as Ready2lose30, and my name reflects on what I am ready to do, ready to lose, and I am more than determined than ever to lose the weight I had gained back and then ultimatly reach my goal weight. The point of this whole rambling story is I wish that I had not beat myself up over gaining the weight back. I needed to be a friend to myself and now that is what I am determined to do. I will not beat myself up this and I know now that I am a human and I will make mistakes. Sorry, I didn't mean to go into all of that.
  • littlemo78
    littlemo78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I find myself doing this and didn't really think about it until now. I'll try and be more mindful of my thoughts, thanks!
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    Tara, Thank you so much for this post. I have been on this site for over a year, going on 2 years. I started on here on January 1, 2009 as Lauramg, I then changed my name to MOMOFTWO29. I lost 52 pounds and then on May 29, 2009 my family and I were involved in a car accident. None of us were hurt except bruises. I was driving and a truck pulled out in front of me and I tried really hard to stop but I couldn't. I had no other choice but to hit him. The guy in the truck had no insurance, and was driving with a suspended drivers license. My mom who was with me, my hubby, and our 2 kids told the guy that she was calling the police and he is like no don't do that and she said yes I am going to call the police, so this guy gets in his truck and leaves the scene of an accident. The police got him a week later, however with him having no insurance my uninsured motorist on my insurance had to pay to have my van fixed, and I had to deal with all that stress of having to deal with the insurance company calling me. The point to all this rambling is: I let stress and life get in my way and I gained the 52 pounds I had lost back plus 3 more. I lost faith and hope in myself and I gave up and I beat myself up over it each and every day. I wish that I would not have done that. I came back to this site once as SeminoleFan30, then gave up again and now I am back again as Ready2lose30, and my name reflects on what I am ready to do, ready to lose, and I am more than determined than ever to lose the weight I had gained back and then ultimatly reach my goal weight. The point of this whole rambling story is I wish that I had not beat myself up over gaining the weight back. I needed to be a friend to myself and now that is what I am determined to do. I will not beat myself up this and I know now that I am a human and I will make mistakes. Sorry, I didn't mean to go into all of that.

I'm glad you went into all of that! I'm so sorry you had all of those hardships but I'm so happy you are so determined and ready to roll now. So often we are ready to be there for someone else vs. ourselves and while having a spirit of compassion or love is a blessing, we should be able to apply it to US! I'm the number one offender. There wasn't a "fault" to be cast as far as the weight gain was concerned in my story or your story. In any story. It happened. Don't waste any of your precious life beating yourself up over it. You are here now doing what you need to do to make your life healthy! Give yourself kudos for that just like you would any other person in your shoes!!! :o)
  • Ready2lose4ever
    Options

I'm glad you went into all of that! I'm so sorry you had all of those hardships but I'm so happy you are so determined and ready to roll now. So often we are ready to be there for someone else vs. ourselves and while having a spirit of compassion or love is a blessing, we should be able to apply it to US! I'm the number one offender. There wasn't a "fault" to be cast as far as the weight gain was concerned in my story or your story. In any story. It happened. Don't waste any of your precious life beating yourself up over it. You are here now doing what you need to do to make your life healthy! Give yourself kudos for that just like you would any other person in your shoes!!! :o)

thank you Tara.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How true!!! I swear, some people on MFP should be professional :smile: writers!
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    How true!!! I swear, some people on MFP should be professional :smile: writers!

I agree! Many of the blogs on here are excellently written! I love reading through them!!! :o) And this is not a pat on the back I promise! :o)