Sedentary means how sedentary?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That's why I use scooby and TDEE-20% personally. Too much of a pain to figure out my activity level/exercise calories when I walk a lot.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sedentary lifestyle (according to MFP's calculation) would be similar to a desk or office job. It assumes you will burn about 20% more than your estimated BMR and it assumes you will take roughly 5,000 steps per day.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This sounds similar to me, and I count myself as "lightly sedentary." I had a hard time figuring out how "sedentary" I was, so I am glad someone asked this question! I have a desk job and sit for most of the workday, but I live in an urban area where I don't need to own a car, so I walk to the bus stop, to run errands, to appointments and meetings, etc.

I log my formal exercise separately. I don't log walking or biking when I'm doing so as part of my daily commute around town, or cleaning.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sedentary is much more sedentary than that.

I have a Fitbit, so my MFP account is set to sedentary and to allow Fitbit to make adjustments to my caloric allotment for the day.

The only time recently I've been kept at a Sedentary calorie goal level was when I had the stomach flu recently and took fewer than 2k steps over the entire day. As a point of reference, it takes me about 8 minutes to take 1k steps at a moderate-brisk walk.

The bar for sedentary is set REALLY, REALLY low.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    That's why I use scooby and TDEE-20% personally. Too much of a pain to figure out my activity level/exercise calories when I walk a lot.

I use Scooby but also another as he had my fats way too low.

I also am very sedentary but when doing Scooby or the other one I put moderately active since I do workout five days a week and have for a few months. I guess that is right since those calculators count your exercise cals already.

Never really did get a straight answer when I have asked around.