Essential Oils for Weight Loss

Options
Has anyone used these? A friend of mine has lost weight with diet, exercise and swears by Young Life essential oils for weight loss, though I am not interested in the pyramid business. I have heard of others through doTERRA as well. Any stories? Should I consider these as part of my weight loss efforts?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    All you need is a calorie deficit.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Oil is fat, one of our three macronutrients (Protein and Carbohydrates being the other two.)

A healthy diet includes all three "macros" in roughly even proportions. Depending on your specific goals, you'll want slightly different macronutrient proportions.

As nomeejerome so succinctly states, essential oils have no impact on weight loss moreso than, say, olive oil or canola oil.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Pseudoscience
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use peppermint oil all the time. The smell curbs appetite and stimulates brain function. This is why many people chew gum or take a breathe mint. It may help some but I wouldn't spend tons of money buy all kinds of oils for weight loss. You still need a calorie deficit.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Whatever comes out of the spout of the butter fountain at the movies is essential.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I use peppermint oil all the time. The smell curbs appetite and stimulates brain function. This is why many people chew gum or take a breathe mint. It may help some but I wouldn't spend tons of money buy all kinds of oils for weight loss. You still need a calorie deficit.

This would explain all the geniuses walking around smacking on their gum. :-) Stimulated brain function.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't think the oil will make any difference. It didn't for me. I've been cooking/eating with sunflower oil and I've lost all the weight (maitaining it right now), just fine. I'm using it in very small amounts, though. I don't even like olive oil, I've tried coconut didn't liked it, either.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    All you need is a calorie deficit.

srsly.gif

srsly.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    eat-less-move-more-repeat-300x300.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The OP is referring to "essential oils" like the kind you make perfume with. Lemon oil, peppermint oil, etc.

These oils will not help you lose weight.
  • roseee311
    Options
    That is correct. I am interested in research on oils such as grapefruit oil, peppermint and other essential oils. I absolutely know I need a calorie deficit, but didn't know if there were other qualities these oils help with such as natural appetite suppressant, etc... I appreciate the responses so far. Thanks!
  • tho0505
    tho0505 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend alot on essential oils, but I do use doTerra oils. They help a lot with different things. Peppermint really helps with digesting and curbing foods since it opens up your nasal passages. I use oils every day and see a huge help, not in fat burning, but in an aid to help sports performance and digestion.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That is correct. I am interested in research on oils such as grapefruit oil, peppermint and other essential oils. I absolutely know I need a calorie deficit, but didn't know if there were other qualities these oils help with such as natural appetite suppressant, etc... I appreciate the responses so far. Thanks!

There are not.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in the power of essential oils! Certain smells can boost your mood, give you mental clarity, increase your energy, etc. While I wouldn't rely on them for weight loss, I do use them a few times a day, usually right after the shower in the morning to boost my energy, or at night to relax.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used these? A friend of mine has lost weight with diet, exercise and swears by Young Life essential oils for weight loss, though I am not interested in the pyramid business. I have heard of others through doTERRA as well. Any stories? Should I consider these as part of my weight loss efforts?

I use doTERRA and sell doTERRA for a myriad of things, weight loss isn't one. They do have a product (slim & sassy) that you're supposed to put in your water, I tasted it and totally understand why . . . after all the taste did make me lose my appetite too.

Honestly they do tout some essential oils as appetite suppressants (grapefruit for example), but I'm skeptical. However, I do have a monster appetite so . . .

Caloric deficit is the trick, but if you want to go psychosomatic, I'll sell you some slim & sassy or grapefruit oil. My belief with appetite suppresants is that if you believe in them and you think they work then they will work.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Butter is an essential oil to me. Because it is delicious and makes me happy. Unfortunately I didn't have any butter in the house today and had to use my roommate's margarine and was very upset!
    Otherwise, essential oils aren't essential to weight loss.
  • gamergirl4283
    gamergirl4283 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I believe the OP is asking about essential oils as in herbs that are concentrated and made into oils for aromatherapy and ect...such as lavender oil, grapefruit oil, ect....not to be confused with olive oil, butter, vegetable oil, canola oil...ect...

As stated above...calorie deficit and exercise is truly the only way to lose the fat. Eat clean and train mean...the only way to do it. I wish there was a magic oil or pill to make you lose the fat but unfortunately that is never going to happen. My problem is lack of motivation haha!
  • ajravanos
    ajravanos Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i am an avid user of essential oils. i have been able to stop taking my thyroid & hormone medications because of the oils i use that target those areas. & before anyone jumps down my throat, i go to the doctor regularly (my sister-in-law is one) & was told i was able to ditch the medication. i've been back to the doctor twice since, while only using my oils, & everything is in-check & working better for me than it did when i was on 5 different medications.

anyway, as for weight management, i use doterra's slim & sassy blend (horrible name, i know). it helps control hunger, gives me more energy through out the day, & helps limit excessive calorie intake. keep in mind though, nothing is a miracle worker; even if you use the oil, (just like everything else) you still need to ensure that you eat a balanced diet & exercise.

the oils used in the slim & sassy blend are as follows:
    grapefruit- is balancing & uplifting to the mind. it has been used medicinally by the french to help with cellulite and digestion.
    lemon- is invigorating & enhancing & warming. it promotes health - healing & energy.
    peppermint- is purifying & stimulating to the mind. helps to soothe digestive problems.
    ginger- helps increase physical energy & promote healthy digestion.
    cinnamon- enhances the action of other oils. it helps improve circulation, digestion, & energy levels.
    aromatic influence-- this blend of oils is calming to the stomach & uplifting to the mind.

you're definitely going to get people who say this is all BS, & you know- whatever. but using a pure, essential oil is no different than when people tell you why certain foods such as garlic, ginger, cinnamon, lemon, chia, whatever help aid & balance your diet/healthy lifestyle.

i don't know how young life works, because i dont use those oils, but as for doterra, you can buy the oils without having to be part of any pyramid scheme. you can either opt to be someone who sells or someone who doesnt. i started off just buying the oils, but after using them for awhile & having, not only myself, but other people see my success with them first hand, i started selling to people who asked me about them. i don't go out looking for people to sell to nor do i set up oil classes or anything, i just supply them to people who already know me & ask me to order them something. it's a win-win. they get a cheaper price, i earn points & get to use those points to buy oils without having to spend money. anyway- yeah- basically the point is, with doteraa (i am assuming young life is probably the same way?), you don't have to be a part of any pyramid type of situation.

i love my oils. i have blends for nearly everything & use them religiously. like i said, you're gonna have people who think you're completely full of it, but fact is, for me personally, i have had great success from them & am very thankful that they have worked so well for me.

good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    roseee311 wrote: »

I think olive oil, a quality one is essentially for weight loss and general health.

Might want to check it out!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Something I'm curious about, why have I seen mostly women looking at "essential oils" as anything other than a novelty?