CONFUSED!

Options
Ok so i am totally confused on my calories. By the time I work out I am way under what MFP says im supposed to have a day. Is this ok?! or do I need to eat till im at what MFP says i need to be at? HELP

Replies

• brittk2013
    brittk2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, you need to eat those calories back. It's ok to be a little bit under what it's telling you, but you may not be eating enough to keep yourself going with your workouts. What is your goal, and what are you actually netting?
  • yiliamsanchez
    Options
    im trying to lose about 67 lbs. MFP is telling me to eat about 1400 calories BUT i am normally eating only like 1200 and with my workout it drops me to like 700 or 800 calories a day? I just dont want to eat what im burning off
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more.

There are probably 100 others who can explain this better so I'm not going to. But you will probably want to eat really close to 1400 if that's what MFP sets for you, regardless of whether you decide to "eat back exercise calories" or not. And DEFINITELY don't go under 1000.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    im trying to lose about 67 lbs. MFP is telling me to eat about 1400 calories BUT i am normally eating only like 1200 and with my workout it drops me to like 700 or 800 calories a day? I just dont want to eat what im burning off

Look at it this way, you will lose your goal amount of weight per week eating 1400 cals, doing no exercise. When you exercise your body requires more energy. Eating 1200 cals and burning 700 would be the same as eating 500 cals and not working out. 500 cals is not enough for a toddler, let alone an adult.

If you don't like the idea of eating back what you burn then just eat 1700-1800 everyday regardless if you workout or not (TDEE method, the proper amount for you may be a little higher than 1800, depending on how often you workout)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    yes you should be eating more than that.
    this isn't about losing as much as you can as fast as possible, that is neither healthy or sustainable in the long run. (and a major reason that people give up and end up yo-yoing)
    the way MFP works, you are already eating at a deficit before exercise. When you exercise (which is good for you for many reasons), you create a larger deficit, which isn't necessarily healthy. you need to eat enough to get a minimum level of calories and nutrition a day for your body to work properly.

this is pretty much the standard information for people just starting out. read it. really.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

i mean it. read that ^
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at least 1200 calories and don't feel hungry, I say stick with it. No need to force yourself to eat your exercise calories if you aren't even hungry in the first place.

The reason why MFP tells you to eat more is that the calories that you burn while working out means fewer calories available for your body to fuel your regular body functions so it's trying to get you to eat more to compensate for that deficit. So if you are feeling hungry then you can eat more, but if you are eating at least the base level and don't feel hungry after that, there's no reason to force feed yourself. I have to eat at least 1300 calories a day - any lower than that I start experience problems with my ability to focus, remember things and start feeling lethargic, but I have a friend who can't stomach more than 1000 calories a day (probably because she eats veggies almost exclusively and they are very filling).

Also, remember that the calories MFP initially gives you are assuming that you AREN'T going to work out so that you can still lose weight if you don't exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at least 1200 calories and don't feel hungry, I say stick with it. No need to force yourself to eat your exercise calories if you aren't even hungry in the first place.

The problem with this is that hunger cues aren't always the best indicator that you're getting enough to eat. Your body produces the hormones that trigger hunger partially out of habit. That's why many obese people feel hungry all day, and some very underweight people will claim not to feel hunger at all. Performance, concentration, physical cues like hair and nails becoming brittle or falling out, mood. It's important to look at all the factors rather than just relying on hunger, imo.
  • yiliamsanchez
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! you guys have been a BIG help in explaining everything. I deff. do not want to lose too much too fast thats not really what im going for. I just did not know if I had to keep eating or if what I was doing was enough. I am not really hungry I snack on almonds and healthy stuff, I try to make sure I get all my vitamins and nutrients I need also. But I do work out 6 days a week usually when I dont have Zumba or kick boxing I do 40 min. on the elliptical and weights.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

The problem with this is that hunger cues aren't always the best indicator that you're getting enough to eat. Your body produces the hormones that trigger hunger partially out of habit. That's why many obese people feel hungry all day, and some very underweight people will claim not to feel hunger at all. Performance, concentration, physical cues like hair and nails becoming brittle or falling out, mood. It's important to look at all the factors rather than just relying on hunger, imo.

^ This

Don't trust hunger, especially if you are new to dieting and not adapted to eating the proper amount to fuel your body. Over time of eating "right" for you your hunger cues should re align for the most part
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Look at it this way, you will lose your goal amount of weight per week eating 1400 cals, doing no exercise. When you exercise your body requires more energy. Eating 1200 cals and burning 700 would be the same as eating 500 cals and not working out. 500 cals is not enough for a toddler, let alone an adult.

If you don't like the idea of eating back what you burn then just eat 1700-1800 everyday regardless if you workout or not (TDEE method, the proper amount for you may be a little higher than 1800, depending on how often you workout)
    Exactly. It's a bit confusing at first, but you figure it out eventually. You won't be eating back what you burned off. You need to fuel the workout, because what you're eating now is used, not stored. If you exercise, that means your using more than you would would normally, so you need to refuel; those calories are not stored.
    There's a couple ways of thinking of it that makes it more understandable. I think of it like money. You have a budget of $1400 to spend (eat) through the day. If you go to work (excercise) and earn $500, you have more money to spend (or more calories to eat). You can also think about it like a car. You put enough gas in your car to do your everyday activities; if you go further than usual, you need to add more gas so it doesn't stop on you.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I had a couple things come to mind:

Review your intake and make sure you are not underestimating calories eaten. Make sure you measure things out. I did was surprised...

Review your workout and make sure you are not overestimating calories burned. I find the estimates on this site for cardio to be a bit higher than what the machines I use estimate and I believe the machines overestimate as well. I'm about 275 and it takes me 30 minutes pushing fairly hard (for me) for an eliptical to tell me I've burned 500 calories, for example. I doubt I burn that much - it's just a guide.

Check the balance of what you're eating. It's pretty easy with this site and the mobile app. Are you getting enough healthy fats too? It would be easy to add a few fat grams and calories but including almonds, walnuts, avacado in your diet.

I like to treat myself to one or two squares of dark (86% or higher) chocolate in the evening after I have a good day and I'm under my calorie recommendation. Not only does it taste good, it's good for you too! And it will get you a few more well deserved calories.

The last thing I'd want to do is tell you to eat when you're not hungry. I think you should continually review what you are eating and making everything cleaner and healthier for the long haul.
  • yiliamsanchez
    Options

Exactly. It's a bit confusing at first, but you figure it out eventually. You won't be eating back what you burned off. You need to fuel the workout, because what you're eating now is used, not stored. If you exercise, that means your using more than you would would normally, so you need to refuel; those calories are not stored.
    There's a couple ways of thinking of it that makes it more understandable. I think of it like money. You have a budget of $1400 to spend (eat) through the day. If you go to work (excercise) and earn $500, you have more money to spend (or more calories to eat). You can also think about it like a car. You put enough gas in your car to do your everyday activities; if you go further than usual, you need to add more gas so it doesn't stop on you.

Ic so im really just eating to refuel again kinda thing. I should be ok as long as I dont go over what MFP sets me as?
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice but I felt the need to put my 2 cents worth in. With my body and my pretty consistent yo-yo issues (I stand firm that this time is different because I've been approaching it very differently and realize, rather than just know, that it's a lifestyle change), I have to eat back some of my workout calories. I generally beast it when I go to the gym, meaning at least 1 hour of cardio and weights when possible (resolution-ers and my own time constraints some days don't allow for weights) and I'm setting a 4 day a week schedule of going to the gym, with the ultimate goal of going 6 days a week. So if I don't eat back some of my workout burned calories then I don't lose weight. Simple as that. I have to keep things so balanced (eat at least my MFP calories, keep to macros (I have some leeway with the macros but I like attempting to achieve that goal of within), drink my water and eat back portion of workout calories when necessary) because otherwise I firmly believe that that my body goes "oh here we go again" and holds the weight. You might want to try eating back a portion of your workout calories for a week or possibly two as well as keeping it close to the MFP calorie guideline given (pre-workout) and see what happens. It can't set you back just try to do it mid-way during your cycle so you don't have T.O.M. gain (if applicable).