Best way to control my eating habits (tips and tricks)

Options
Hey , Im looking for tips and tricks on how to get my mind off of eating while im at work .. i work 64 hours a week in an office ... 3 of those days are 12 hr over night shifts .. i just started MFP and want to get some advice on what to do ... i take a weight loss / appetite suppressant only on days that i go to the gym ( as directed on bottle ) .. but that only does so much .. then my brain kicks in saying im hungry even when im not ,.. PLEASE HELP

Replies

• professormudd1
    Options
    2 tips for you that worked for me:

1. Drink water - Sometimes a big glass of water makes the food craving (not real hunger) go away.
    2. Learn to say no to yourself - It gets easier after a couple of weeks. They say it takes 3 weeks to break a habit and 3 weeks to start a new habit. So self discipline gets easier over time.
  • michelleroslyn
    Options
    A few tricks that work for me- get up and take a quick walk to get your mind off of food. Eat a piece of fruit (I find bananas to be the most filling). Drink some water (sometimes we think we are hungry but we are really thirsty). I find flavored fizzy waters are more filling than just regular water. Chew a piece of gum, or keep some stronger mints at your desk (like lifesaver peppermint) which will give your mouth something to do, and leave a bit of a taste behind that wont go well with food :) good luck! you can do this!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    lots of water and herbal teas help to fill the belly without calories. You were probably bored eating also due to overnights. Try setting a timer to stand up and do a couple of exercises or just stretch every hour. It will have you concentrating on something other than food.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me (can't speak for others) is to be very "strict" with when I eat. Not crazy-strict or anything. But I have a set schedule.

Breakfast 7 AM
    Lunch 11:30 AM
    Dinner 6 PM

Instead of snacking at work during the 3 pm slump, I make sure to tack on something like fruit or chocolate with my lunch so that I feel I've "already had my snack".

Instead of snacking in the evening, I use my calories up at dinner. If there IS some indulgence that I have worked into my calories for the day, I have it within 1 hour of dinner rather than waiting 'til much later. I don't put a ton of stock in what some say about evening calories and stopping eating by 8 pm or whatever...but this is just MY routine!! I am more satisfied this way and in essence yes, my "kitchen is closed" following dinner as I've eaten my total calories. The only time I may have a small protein snack like nuts or string cheese is if I get some considerable post-dinner exercise.

This works very well for me and I'm not even "tempted" to eat at any other time. It may not work for others!

I know a lot of people have success with eating 5-10 mini meals instead. Not me, but I think if that works for you then go for it. I just think sometimes "grazing" for many hours especially when you're at work, can be a recipe for failure.

Best of luck!
  • Thomasleavy7
    Thomasleavy7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yeah .. i drink alot of water especially on the over nights close to 6-7 bottles each night .. just very sedentary.. i try to get to the gym at least 4 times a week ..
  • kels1152
    Options
    I'm loving all these tips and tricks. I also seem to eat even when I'm not hungry and it sucks! I will try to switch to water or go do something else to get my mind off of food : )