14 dollars a day! Ideas?

MFP people,

I am an above average age college student (33) with a heart condition and I need to know good ideas for meals that fit into a budget of 100 USD a week.

So far, I'm eating chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli everyday. Basically need to have low sodium and be healthy. I'm not on a super low fat or low carb diet. I'm just trying to find some cheap, healthy meals. Also, if they can store for 3-5 days in the refrigerator, that would be great as well.

Thanks, Chad

EDIT: Also, bananas, almonds, and a protein shake.

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Beans and rice
    Tuna pasta bake
    Soup or curry made with cheap veg and cheap cuts of meat like chuck beef or chicken Maryland
    Eggs on toast
    Anything with ground beef- burgers, bogolnaise, tacos, chilli
    Healthy pizza, use tortilla bases, top with whatever is on sale
  • I love the site www.penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com

The recipes are healthy if you handle portion control. Some are not but those are obvious. There is an eat cheap section that suggests many cheap snacks. When I make the refried beans they come out to 90 calories for half a cup. The tortillas are difficult and caloric. I do have a daughter that loves them. I buy them for the rest of us. For my mexican style rice I put a quarter cup of oil in the pan and finely dice an onion that I cook in it. I then add my rice to toast it. While rice is toasting I add seasonings then the water. For the last minute or two of cooking time I add in a can of diced tomatoes. Of course you can use fresh. Rice, beans, a tortilla shell and whatever fresh vegies you want to add make a meal. I get about 9 cups of refried beans from the recipe. I freeze them in half cup servings. I also love the pizza dough recipe. You can top a pizza in many different ways! I adore chicken and pineapple. I enjoyed the plain dough but I have started seasoning the dough and like that better. It freezes but it will also stay good in the fridge for a couple of days. I buy 2 pounds of yeast at Costco. That is much cheaper than buying the 3 packs of yeast. If you buy the 3 pack at lets say 3 dollars, the pizza recipe makes two doughs and will cost about 1.46. If it is just you, it will make a lot of pizzas.

Oh, I add seasonings to her recipe. I think she likes bland foods. For the bagels, I put baking soda in the water and made pretzels. I got 20 pretzels from my batch and I believe they were 126 calories a piece. You can do your calorie counts based upon the size you make. I love skicing and topping those.

I only added tomatoes to part of the rice I made yesterday. Today left over rice is becoming chicken fried rice. Dont let the word fry scare you. I dont fry it. I add very finely diced veggies to it, low sodium soy sauce, and 2 eggs to bind it. The low sodium soy sauce doesnt fit a heart diet. Fat, salt, alcohal, and acid are flavor enhancers. I would suggest replacing it with rice vibegar and seasonings of your choice. You can fkavor your own vinegars and I highly reccomend it!

My first husband was a diabetic hear patient. He has passed away but I learned to cook for a low sodium, low fat, low carb, low calorie, and low luquid diet. Not easy but doable
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks for the ideas. The more the merrier.