Indoor Climbing

Options
I just started indoor climbing, and I love doing it! I've done bouldering and top rope climbing so far. There's a gym that my friend works at a few minutes from my apartment, so I'm planning on going a few times a week with her.

Do any MFP-ers climb and have any tips for a beginner???

Replies

• NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There's a climbing gym a few hours away and I go for an afternoon when I can (Every month or so?). Still haven't gotten any good at it yet, but would love to hear some tips as well!
  • oBuckethead
    oBuckethead Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My best advice is, go easy in the beginning and stay consistent. Just like anything else, injuries are capable of creeping up especially if you strengthen up too quickly and don't give your tendons time to catch up. Lot of fore arm injuries can happen as well if you come down too hard on your hands. Every climber will tell you rest days are just as important as climbing days so if you hurt, take a day off.

I've been climbing for a long time (indoor, outdoor, bouldering, etc) so feel free to ask any questions. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and good luck!
  • metlr
    metlr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started climbing at a Bouldering gym a year ago. I love it too. Super fun. I'm looking forward to getting outdoors more this year and also getting on a rope. Have fun!
  • metlr
    metlr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started climbing at a bouldering gym a year ago. I love it too. Super fun. I'm looking forward to getting outdoors more this year and also getting on a rope. Have fun!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of climbing and mountaineering, although I never did it at a high level, I was proud of what I did even if I was never able to climb much over a 5.9 or lead over 5.7, BUT, it's great exercise that forces you to use your core/major muscles and the little stabilizers, as well.

The above post is right on- the forearm injuries are common with sprains, strains and tendonitis all possible. Learn to use your legs for power as much as possible from the beginning to push you up the rock, rather than just pulling with your arms. New climbers tend to overuse their arms and underuse their legs. And, 3 points of contact with the rock, move with one limb at a time to conserve energy and reduce falls.

Have fun! My strength to weight ratio is way too low for me to do this well right now, but I hope to get back to it someday.