Fitbit Flex and Elliptical

Options
I have a FitBit Flex. I got it for Christmas. I have noticed though that when I'm on the elliptical it isn't registering that activity. Should I wear it on my ankle? (I know it's not designed for that.) Any pointers to register the activity on the Flex? I've just been entering it in MFP but I'd like to see it on the device.

Thanks!

Replies

• dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I also noticed that it was not registering my steps when I was shopping at Costco since I was holding on to the shopping cart. And you know that you can cover a lot of ground in THAT store :smile: I'm suprised that it doesn't register while you are on an elliptical since your arms are moving.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    if you know the distance or time you can add it on the fibit site, or log it here.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    why I love my zip, I clip it to my bra so it will register my movement better (whether my arms are moving or not)

maybe you can clip it to your shirt or pants to pick up the movement?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    This actually examples, I think, the question I have with the accuracy of the wrist worn version of fitbits.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is really just a sophisticated pedometer, I was disappointed to find, so it doesn't register softer movements like elliptical and biking. You can stand there and wave your arms all day and it will register 0. It's only calibrated to count steps.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    if you know the distance or time you can add it on the fibit site, or log it here.

This is what I do. I log it as walking.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you've got your FitBit account linked to your MFP account then just log the activity, in this case elliptical, on here and specify the exact time you started and for how long and any steps the Flex does pick up during that time will be disregarded.
    Have to admit from reading on here and other places I'm so glad I got the One and not the Flex. Seems rather odd to wear a pedometer on your wrist when it's purpose is to measure how often your legs move.
  • leslie_shoemaker
    leslie_shoemaker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My FitBit Flex was a gift and I do love it. It is what I asked for. But I'm afraid I might should've gotten a different model. If I'm running/ walking then I am pushing a stroller. And for some reason, it's not picking up my arms flailing about. I'm going to wear it on my ankle and see what happens. I'll report back. It was an expensive bracelet but it definitely reminds me to GET MOVING.
  • specialk1177
    specialk1177 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How is it working on your ankle? I'm thinking about getting one of these but so many people are complaining about the wrist issue & it not calculating anything other than steps taken when arms are moving. When I initially saw it I was excited because I thought with it being on the wrist that it would be monitoring my heart rate & calculating my calories burned all day long, even from sitting but no, so then I checked out the force which is their newer model but it's the same, it just also has a watch. I also checked out the One but I know myself & I will not remember to take it off my pants as I change throughout the day so it will just be sitting at home or worse I'll run it through the wash!

I looked at other versions of this like the Jawbone & Nike but they are so expensive & they don't do what I want either. I just don't want to spend $100 and then in 3 months they come out with something that actually tracks your health, not just your steps. Is this really anything more than a pedometer with an smart phone app?
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That is the exact reason I got the Zip and looked at getting the One.

I wear it on my hip on my waistband.

It does count my elliptical movements. I read many reviews that the wrist ones whether fitbit or other brands just are not as accurate.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit Force for Christmas. It counts my steps on the elliptical, I've checked it by counting them myself several times. I have also put it in my pocket when I put my boxing gloves on (afraid I'd break it) and it counted steps for that as well, I'm just not sure of the accuracy because I didn't test it.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this info, because I love the Flex (which I just got for a present) but it didn't seem to track the steps on the modified elliptical that I often use (which doesn't have moving arms). It does track well though when I'm running or walking. I may have to try the elliptical with the moving arms to see if that one registers better.