Your best ever money saving tips

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Plan meals and stick to a list when grocery shopping. I shop at Aldi for a lot of my basics.

Buy clothing & housewares secondhand when you can.

Opt for huge tubs of plain Greek yogurt and add your own bit of fruit, nuts, honey, sweetener, whatever you like. I find that this saves me big time because I used to buy the individual portions with fruit on the bottom and now a 3 dollar tub of Fage lasts for 2 weeks.

For full-priced additions to your wardrobe (suits, coats, running shoes) think long and hard about what you want and must have in the item and shop online and browse around before buying to get the best deal.

If you're going out with friends, skip the appetizer and dessert and drink water. Go out for lunch instead of dinner when you can.

Check out books (including e-books or audio books) and movies from the library.

If you receive a gift card, try to find a way to use it for something practical. For example, gas if it's a big box store card...underwear or necessities if it's a department store card.

Balance your indulgences with cheaper versions of other products you use. For example, I've got Suave shampoo next to Lush soaps and elf mascara next to Stila eye shadow.

I know this WILL NOT work for most people....but cut/color your own hair, do your own mani/pedi, etc. Again I know most of you are saying "WTF no way" but my husband and I both get compliments on our hair and I get them on my nails, etc, and we are strictly DIY in this area, always!

If you drink (alcoholic beverages) buy it and drink at home, entertain at home instead of buying drinks in a bar/club.

Use cloth napkins, kitchen towels, and rags. You will need to wash towels anyway and these can be thrown in. I save a considerable sum on paper towels and napkins even though it seems like such a tiny expense.

Don't grab a quick coffee, tea, or soda out in diners, convenience stores, etc. The savings will add up.

Cut out cable/satellite. Stream content online.

Don't have a smartphone - or if you do, use your home wifi and internet in other places rather than a pricey data plan.
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Anyone cut the cord from cable? I have looked into that, just going to antennae and internet. I spend about $110 per month for freaking TV and I barely watch it anymore.

What would be the best alternatives?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    1. Borrow movies from Walmart.
    2. Hunt your own food.
    3. Borrow your neighbors car when they're not looking.
    4. Watch cable Tv when your neighbors leave their blinds open.
    5. Don't get hair cuts or shave.
    6. Don't pay your bills, mortgage or rent.
    7. Use the same water in bathtub for the whole family. Then wash your dishes in it.
    8. Have sex more often.
    9. Never move out of your parents house.
    10. Get rid of your cellphone. What?!

I got rid of my cellphone nine or so months ago it was a brilliant decision actually
  • JustJessLynn
    Options
    Just because you have enough money for something, doesn't mean you can afford it.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Use leftovers in a new dish. IE: leftover chicken, sirloin, whatever... cut it up and use it in a stir fry.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. That stuff is AMAZING... and you can use it for ANYTHING. You super dilute it with water... it can be used as a cleaner, hand soap, body wash... whatever. They have about 5 different scents or you can get unscented and add your own essential oils... best of all... its all natural without all the crappy chemicals they put in other body washes, etc.

It's about $12 at target for a big bottle..... diluting only 50/50 a bottle will last me (for cleaning, hand soap and body wash) at least 6 months. Its super soapy.... so you could really dilute 25/75 to stretch it longer.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Plan your new purchases ahead, if you know what you want you can get the older model for as low as 25% of what the new model will be, works great with electronics.

The automatic to saving thing is great, mine even includes an extra dollar to saving every time I use my card. you will be surprised how fast it builds up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    please pick up the book "i will teach you to be rich" by Ramit Sethi.

a lot of these ideas are great to save a few nickles and dimes, but if you really want to save money and make your money work for you, i recommend this book.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Anyone cut the cord from cable? I have looked into that, just going to antennae and internet. I spend about $110 per month for freaking TV and I barely watch it anymore.

Netflix and torrents.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Be realistic about the car you drive. Choose the smallest car that meets 90% of your needs and is several years old. Now drive it as little as possible. Group trips together - if you are pulling out of your driveway more than once a day, you're driving too much (I am so, so guilty of this).

Buy a bike for shortish trips where you aren't carrying much stuff. Bonus - you'll get fitter.

Don't buy too much house (again, I am guilty of this, because I was an idiot). They cost more to heat, maintain, insure and tax. Plus they are too much damn work. Buy the smallest house that reasonably suits your family's needs.

Monitor mortgage rates, and remortgage when they are in your favor. Get the shortest term mortgage you can reasonably afford.

Credit cards are for emergencies, and discretionary spending should halt until that emergency is paid off.

Deduct your savings directly from your paycheck, and put them into a different bank than your checking account. That way you never see the money, and transfers are less convenient. Best choice is a brokerage account and keep it in a moderate growth mutual fund.

Make sure you are taking full advantage of your 'package' (ooo-er) at work. If they have a 401k match and/or ESPP plan, and you aren't contributing, you are literally declining a portion of your wages.

For retirement, unless you are somehow 100% certain what your tax situation will be, diversify across pre- and post- tax savings.

Avoid advertising like the plague - it's designed to make you think you need stuff you really don't. It won't make you happier, just poorer. Do stuff, don't buy stuff.
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

Don't spend money you don't need to.
    Don't charge anything you can't pay off in a month unless it's an emergency.
    PAY your savings/retirement/IRA account monthly like you would a bill.
    Turn down your thermostat and switch your lights to LED if possible.
    Buy from local farms if you can.
    Don't spend money on BS diet programs.

These are great tips, especially the first one. Needs vs Wants
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I have.

For me I made a list of all the TV shows I watch and 80% of them were OTA (over the air). In other words, I was paying $150 per month for 20% of my shows.

Of those, I could get most through Hulu or Netflix (though I had to wait until much later).

One of the hidden bonuses is after a year I don't even watch that much TV. And shows that I thought I "couldn't miss" I actually can and don't mind at all.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

We ditched cable years ago. We use Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime. Not free, but still cheaper than cable and the Netflix and A Prime subscriptions were being paid even when we did have cable anyway.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Netflix and torrents.

I've been without cable for 3 years now. It's awesome. I pay $7.99/month for Netflix and Hulu Plus streamed through your device of choice, and I have a gigantic antennae in my attic that gets 50 channels from the Milwaukee/Chicago area.

I seriously have not missed cable for 5 seconds.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone!
  • odusgolp
    Options

I have.

For me I made a list of all the TV shows I watch and 80% of them were OTA (over the air). In other words, I was paying $150 per month for 20% of my shows.

Of those, I could get most through Hulu or Netflix (though I had to wait until much later).

One of the hidden bonuses is after a year I don't even watch that much TV. And shows that I thought I "couldn't miss" I actually can and don't mind at all.

Also... that part in bold. I love some couch/tv time, but no longer feel like i "need" to get to that couch for any reason... ever. Unless there's a naked man or cheese on it or something, I have better things to do with my time.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Cook your own food.

If your single make the 1st date at Starbucks!!

Take your lunch to work!

Buy bottle water by the case!!

Setup a 6 month emergency fund!!

Eat, sleep and train!!

Track your spending daily. This will tell you where your wasting money!!

Don't join a gym. Save money doing Hasfit and Fitness blender online workouts.

Never buy a new car.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Is there some reason your free tap water isn't good enough?
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Make more money. How to do that varies a lot from situation to situation, what you're comfortable with, what resources you currently have. Good avenues to pursue are picking up a second job, education, getting promoted, changing jobs, investments and/or a sugar daddy/momma.
  • sklarbodds
    Options

I have.

Also... that part in bold. I love some couch/tv time, but no longer feel like i "need" to get to that couch for any reason... ever. Unless there's a naked man or cheese on it or something, I have better things to do with my time.
    Hmmm...cheese you say...it looks like you're taken otherwise I'd be sitting on your couch with nothing but a plate of cheese :)
  • sklarbodds
    Options

Is there some reason your free tap water isn't good enough?
    Right? Stole my post :flowerforyou: