What brand of scale do you use?

Options
Hi everybody. I'm looking for a little advice here. I'm looking at getting a new scale, since the one I have weighs me a different weight every time I step on or off of it. I can weigh myself three times in a row, and I promise you I will have three different weights. Frequently there's a pound to 2 pounds difference in the weights. I've never felt like the scale was really accurate, and it's very difficult to figure out exactly where to stand on it to get accurately weighed.

I've been looking online it scales, and I think I'm really interested in the Withings wireless scale., model WS-30. Does anyone have one and can you let me know how accurately you think it weighs. To me, part of accuracy is being able to get the same weight time after time when you weigh several times in a row (or at least nearly the same weight.

I've looked at reviews on several sites and they look pretty good for this scale but I'm really looking for confirmation from folks who are using it. I would also love hearing about other scales that you've purchased and like or dislike. I'm looking for an electronic scale, and one that will sync with my iPad easily, works with Fitbit and works with MyFitnessPal as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback you can give me.

Carol

Replies

• goKimmer
    goKimmer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too. My scale gives different readings depending where it is on the floor. I just keep it in the place where I get the most consistent readings.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    I got this scale from amazon for less than $30, and it's been pretty consistent for me as long as it's perfectly level. If there's any wobble at all, then it gives me inconsistent numbers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita digital body fat scale, because when I bought it some 5+ years ago I believed that a scale could shoot energy waves through my feet and accurately assess my body fat and water percentages :laugh: It cost me about $60 and now that I know better I wish I'd just bought something cheaper but ya gotta learn somehow!

Because of the size of my bathrooms though, I have to store it on its side against a wall, pulling it out and setting it in what I hope is the approximate same spot. I have heard that if you move scales around a lot, especially digital scales, you can mess up the insides and start getting off readings. So to help ensure I haven't messed it up I also keep a small 5 pound dumbbell in the bathroom and I always weigh the dumbbell before I step on. As long as the scale tells me that the dumbbell still weighs 5 pounds, I am fairly confident in the accuracy of its reading of MY weight.

Why I just typed all that out and am sharing it, I am not certain. But there you have it.
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings scale and I love it. I weigh myself daily and it automatically syncs with MFP. If I weigh myself several times in a row, it's the same.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    HI!
    I recently got this from Amazon. for 36.95 - ( + Free Shipping)

Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds

it had Great reviews --- , with average 4-5 stars. Go to Amazon, check out the reviews---

7,688 Reviews
    5 star: (6,660)
    4 star: (588)
    3 star: (189)
    2 star: (122)
    1 star: (129)

My experience: i'm still experimenting. It has such great reviews, it has to be right, but i see 1-2 pound swings from minute to minute...... i am now trying to have it in the EXACT same spot in my bathroom and I usually see the same number 2-3 times in a row, so I figure that's accurate.

ALSO- not sure why this is such a selling point.. but you don't have to TAP on it, you can just Step on to weigh. ! I saw that many, many times in the reviews as something positive. I guess people are impatient!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just have a pretty standard $25 digital scale.

But if your scale is giving you wonky readings:
    1) Make sure the scale is on flat, hard flooring, not carpet
    2) Check the batteries

Those things might seem obvious but the carpet one, in particular, causes a lot of trouble.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I bought an inexpensive scale at WallyWorld, it doesn't do all the fancy things that the one that the OP mentioned. In reality if it did I probably couldn't figure out how to use it or make it work! I bought a simple Taylor brand and I've been extremely impressed with it's consistency, I have to use certified digital scales at work (unfortunately they read way less than I need to weigh myself) and I have checked the cheapies against the work scales and they are surprisingly accurate. I can step on and off of this set repeatedly and it always returns to the same weight, even if it's off a few pounds I'm not concerned as long as it's consistent.
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I bought these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-BF511-Family-Composition-Monitor/dp/B0033AGBW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389126815&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+scales

I can't rate them highly enough. They have a memory program so multiple people can use them, and they remember your last results, so when you weigh in, you can immediately see there, in front of you whats gone up and down.

Whilst I don't use the fat %age or muscle %age as gospel, I do find that they reflect what I see in the mirror and what I expect well - for example, there are times where my weight doesn't change, but I've worked to put on muscle, and the scales always reflect that.... And sadly the reverse as I found out over Christmas!!

Really good scales, check them out.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    HI!
    I recently got this from Amazon. for 36.95 - ( + Free Shipping)

Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds

it had Great reviews --- , with average 4-5 stars. Go to Amazon, check out the reviews---

7,688 Reviews
    5 star: (6,660)
    4 star: (588)
    3 star: (189)
    2 star: (122)
    1 star: (129)

My experience: i'm still experimenting. It has such great reviews, it has to be right, but i see 1-2 pound swings from minute to minute...... i am now trying to have it in the EXACT same spot in my bathroom and I usually see the same number 2-3 times in a row, so I figure that's accurate.

ALSO- not sure why this is such a selling point.. but you don't have to TAP on it, you can just Step on to weigh. ! I saw that many, many times in the reviews as something positive. I guess people are impatient!

I also use this and I love it - hubby and I both use it regularly. :)