what does quinoa taste like?

Options
hi, im having quinoa, with roasted courgette and red pepper, also crushed almonds, chicken breast and lime juice all mixed together with coriander,

never tried quinoa before... so what does it taste like? it it similar to rice?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It is like rice, bland, without too much flavor and takes the flavors you mix into it. I can be bitter though if not properly rinsed before cooked.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It pretty much tastes like nothing, which is why all those other yummy things are mixed in with it.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    A dirty old tree branch (according to the Bud Light commercial).
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    so what does it taste like?

earth. Kind of like dirt. But if you jazz it up, you can make it taste like delicious dirt.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it tastes a bit nutty, less earthy than brown rice. but i really dont have taste buds left from all the spices i eat.
    if you want to give it more flavor to start then just used seasoned liquid to cook it in. the seasoning in the liquid will be infused in to the quinoa
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    cook it in broth:)
  • leslie_shoemaker
    leslie_shoemaker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious.
    dirt, earth, lol...
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    like grains of dirt

Just kidding, sort of
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    hi, im having quinoa, with roasted courgette and red pepper, also crushed almonds, chicken breast and lime juice all mixed together with coriander,

If your rice tastes like dirt, then yes. No, really. It tastes like dirt to me, actual dirt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it doesn't taste like much on it's own. I like it, but it's a texture thing I think that gets people more than taste.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nothing
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Graham Norton referred to it as cross between couscous and kitty litter in an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really taste like anything
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Kind of similar to cous cous, but earthier
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Graham Norton referred to it as cross between couscous and kitty litter in an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow.
    I haven't tried kitty litter, but at a guess, if it was freshly 'used'; that's probably about what you're getting.
    It doesn't even have much protein.
    Personally, I'd stick with rice/cous cous and a nice big lump of steak :D.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

If your rice tastes like dirt, then yes. No, really. It tastes like dirt to me, actual dirt.

not to be confused with dirt jello? aka beets?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It pretty much tastes like nothing, which is why all those other yummy things are mixed in with it.

Ditto. You gotta add all kinds of stuff to make it palatable.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    i'm confused OP if you are "having it" how do you not know what it tastes like?

it's the grainy part of what you are eating. the part that is being helped by all the other ingredients and you are not sure you would want to eat alone.

I LOVE IT.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To me it is similar to brown rice. Easy to flavor with almost anything because the taste isn't strong.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I haven't tried kitty litter, but at a guess, if it was freshly 'used'; that's probably about what you're getting.
    It doesn't even have much protein.
    Personally, I'd stick with rice/cous cous and a nice big lump of steak :D.

yeah but the way I had it was with corn and red peppers and onions and some kind of marinade/sauce. I feel like rice nor cous cous would have enough to stand up to those flavors in the kind of mix i enjoyed. i found it incredibly strong and satisfying a side dish. very very bold flavors and textures that IMO would not stand up to those other ingredients in rice or cous cous form. even brown rice.