thinning hair

Options
Colombianchick29
Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
Anyone know a remedy to thinning hair? Haqve you tried anything that worked?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have naturally thin hair and I've done a few things (over time and one at a time, so I know they've all helped individually) that have helped me. I've done a lot that didn't make a hair (ho hum) of difference too, but everyone is different. I make all my own hair products too. So I'll go through the list, and PM me if you're interested so I can give you recipes!

Daily (every other day) washing:
    Fenugreek Infused Scalp Oil
    BHA/AHA Exfoliating Powder
    Conditioner Cleansing with Homemade Protein and Mustard Oil Conditioner (there's a reason for that!)
    Tangle Teezer brush using from the ends towards the scalp (always start at the bottom of the hair)

Weekly:
    Homemade Honey Egg Hair Mask (with some color added since I don't dye my hair)

And finally, eating lots of protein and a good amount of healthy fats have really helped me a lot. Also make sure you're getting all your iron.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends.. is it genetic or is it from cutting calories too low?

if it's the latter then eating more food should help. if it's the former then you might want to look into things like rogaine or hair transplants
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a razor. You would never know if my hair is thinning, because I shave it all off :-)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Moroccan argon oil is a blessing.
    Keratin treatments
    Good fats in your diet.
    Heat protection

That being said, If its genetic this wont help much :/
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a razor. You would never know if my hair is thinning, because I shave it all off :-)

two things - 1) i don't think the lady would like to shave off her hair. and 2) as a fellow thinning hair guy who buzzes his head completely, I always know/assume people know i do that because my hair is thinning.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It either needs to turn gray or turn loose.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

two things - 1) i don't think the lady would like to shave off her hair. and 2) as a fellow thinning hair guy who buzzes his head completely, I always know/assume people know i do that because my hair is thinning.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where the dude been doing it for so long from a young age and then Elaine talks him into letting it grow, and then he gets really sad when he realizes he is actually bold.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I've seen this asked before and my mom who's hair started thinning a few years ago swears by Nioxin Treament #2! But I see a new product has been released...

http://nioxin.com/en-EN/products/product-page.aspx?id=8566
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    Some of the major issues that cause thinning of hair is using wrong hair care product, more stress, lack of nutrients, pollution and so on. You can go for natural remedies so that it won’t have any side effect.
    You can apply egg on to wet hair and leave for 5-10 mins then wash it with lukewarm water and shampoo.
    Aloe vera is also good for hair, extract the gel and rub it onto the scalp and leave it for half an hour and then wash it with lukewarm water.
  • arganusai
    arganusai Posts: 17
    Options
    You can try Tea-tree shampoo, I have PCOS so one of the delightful side effects of the disorder is thinning hair. I've found it makes it a little thicker (I'm not going to lie and say it cures it).

Best of luck as it does make you feel self-conscious, but I find certain hairstyles do cover mine better than others.
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    Thinning hair can be a sign of poor nutrient absorption, which in turn can be due to an insufficient supply of stomach acid or bacterial overgrowth in the stomach. Taking one tablet of hydrochloric acid (HC1) and one digestive enzyme capsule after starting each meal, plus 1/2 teaspoon of powdered acidophilus dissolved in 2 ounces of water twice a day between meals, can aid in nutrient absorption.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I fixed my thinning hair with a razor about 40 years ago and never looked back.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    nioxin treatment seems to have slowed mine down. a few more years then razor time