Food scale VS. TSA & Customs

Options
GothyFaery
GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
I'm leaving for the Virgin Islands in 5 weeks. We are staying on the USVI but plan a day trip by boat to the British islands. I weight everything I eat. I carry a pocket scale with me for food weighing on the go. My husband pointed out to me that it might not be wise to travel with a scale in my purse as TSA/Customs might not assume it's meant for weighing food. What do you think? Should I keep it in my purse and carry it on, put it in my check bag, or just leave it at home to be sure to avoid the dreaded TSA cavity search?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be cooking much? Because if you are eating out, you should be able to eye judge the weight by now if you have been doing it for a while. I would say enjoy your vacation and eat in moderation and guesstimate stuff and then get back to the strict measurement when you get back home.

Have a great time!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I always WAY over estimate stuff. For new years I thought I had aprox. 25 oz of shrimp, weighed the same about (I kept a tally) the next day and it was barely 5 oz. We will be gone for 8 days and I don't want to gain weight but I don't want to starve myself either especially since we will be swimming and walking a lot. If I get low blood sugar, I pass out :ohwell:
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd say put it in your check bag, not your purse. It should be safe in there during the ride and then you will have it to use where you are staying.