Your best ever money saving tips

Options

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Never let your kids go to the grocery store with you ;)

Better still don't have kids. LOL
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Avoid unexpected pregnancy.
    Does that really work?
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    1. Borrow movies from Walmart.
    2. Hunt your own food.
    3. Borrow your neighbors car when they're not looking.
    4. Watch cable Tv when your neighbors leave their blinds open.
    5. Don't get hair cuts or shave.
    6. Don't pay your bills, mortgage or rent.
    7. Use the same water in bathtub for the whole family. Then wash your dishes in it.
    8. Have sex more often.
    9. Never move out of your parents house.
    10. Get rid of your cellphone. What?!

if you are doing 5, 7, and 9 you probably aren't going to be able to do 8

You just have to find someone else who is also doing 5, 7 and 9. <mind blown>

just because i am hairy, and smelly and living in my parents house doesn't mean i want to have sex with someone who is hairy, smelly and living in their parents house.
  • LesBrock
    LesBrock Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever buy anything from the butty van whilst at work, its saves you £'s and it wasnt for that I might still be thin.

Make your own
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I always consider the opportunity costs of what I'm buying. A latte a day? Nope. I'd rather spend that money on a mani / pedi or 2 per month.

If I really want something, I think of what I can eliminate or skimp on to make up the difference. I make a deal with myself "If I get this leather jacket, then I will not drink any cocktails or beers while out at dinner, etc for 2 months." I do stuff like that.

Also, I save a lot of money by getting rid of cable completely and coloring my own hair. I use high quality hair dye and developer from sleekhair.com (Joico VeroColor). My hair is pretty close to my own shade, so it's easy enough and saves me hundreds per year.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    as soon as i can get all the live sports through another avenue other than satellite, then i will get rid of it.

it accounts for more than 50% of my viewing.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    as soon as i can get all the live sports through another avenue other than satellite, then i will get rid of it.

totally agree, the weird random rusian websites you must use to stream sports just arent good enough for me. But man im ready to ditch cable
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

*highfive*
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lots have said it but get rid your cable/internet!! I really love not having a TV anymore (we watch movies on the laptop which are from the library), and I spend less money not having the internet at home.

We have stopped eating out for lunches. Make a sandwich or take leftovers.

Don't buy coffees. Bring our own.

We downsized to one car. That took a lot of getting used to but I cannot tell you how much money we save from that alone.

I like to challenge myself to "No Buy" months where that only things I spend money on are groceries, gas, and bills.

I started a clothing swap with my gal pals, because our closets were full of clothing items that we deemed too nice to get rid of but never wore, so now we trade.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I cook at home- (although a stop at wawa/dunkin to often admittedly)
    Try to not do excessive laundry
    Wear my work pants/jeans 2-3 x before washing
    DIY
    delete promo adds that come to my email and to my house.
    Throw away rubbish like Target Magazines with sales
    Don't make my regular drive past stores with stuff I'm tempted- this is a big one- if my regular drive has these things- I'll stop- and I'll stop often.

Stay out of big HAS EVERYTHING stores- I WILL find stuff to buy.
    Before you buy something new- make sure you NEED It- and then donate or sell something else in your house.

have cheap hobbies.

reduce your debt-
    pay over on bills get them paid down faster
    don't use CC as often- if you are using it for points and crap- make sure you pay it off monthly.

Get creative on dates- you don't have to go out EVERY time.

I've been TV free for years- I only had TV at my last place because my roommate had it- I liked it- but I am perfectly fine without it.
    I've actually been sans internet at home for the past 3 weeks other than my phone- I just watch my regular movies- I have so much more free time- it's mind boggling.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Avoid unexpected pregnancy.

Excellent tip! Haha
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Buy bottle water by the case!!

Is there some reason your free tap water isn't good enough?

I was wondering the same thing!!
  • KelBel328
    KelBel328 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use coupons whenever possible. As long as it is something that I would normally buy, Don't fall into the trap of buying something to save a dollar when you wouldn't have normally bought it.(I've done that.) I have bought shampoo from Walgreens for literally 8 cents after using a coupon and register rewards.

I have a question to add. Anyone shop at SAM'S or COSTCO? Is buying in bulk worth the membership fees and hassle? I'm debating on joining one to try to save some money, but am not sure it's really worth it. The nearest ones are 45 minutes away from me.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Since you are a super villain, robbing a bank should be a piece of cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rkpgchJOA
  • KelBel328
    Options
    To resist using credit cards. Put them all in a bowl of water and put it in the freezer. You still have them if you need them, but they're not easily accessible and will take a little work to get them. (Time to let that feeling or "need" pass)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My bank offers a service where every transaction you make using your debit card rounds the purchase up to the next $5 increment. It gets deposited into a separate account and earns interest monthly. I don't miss the extra nickles and dimes here and there, and it adds up quickly.

Write everything down on paper that you spend for 1 month, categorize, and set up a realistic budget that INCLUDES saving. Stick to it for a year.

Go cash only.

Pay yourself first - have deductions taken off your cheque and put towards retirement savings.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1. Pay yourself first.
    2. Figure your old food budget from when you overate. Figure your new food budget, now that 'Serving Size' on a cereal box isn't 'one box.' Pay yourself the difference in food cost.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To resist using credit cards. Put them all in a bowl of water and put it in the freezer. You still have them if you need them, but they're not easily accessible and will take a little work to get them. (Time to let that feeling or "need" pass)

HA

Amazon and pay pal make that technique obsolete!!!

but it's a nice idea

Never buy bottles of water - absolute waste!
    I keep a few cases lying about for emergencies- but it's hysterical- a gallon jug costs 1$ it's so much more cost efficient than bottled water. I'd much prefer to have gallons if I HAVE to buy water at all.
  • KelBel328
    Options

HA

Amazon and pay pal make that technique obsolete!!!

but it's a nice idea

Good point! LOL I guess I am able to resist that easier than when I'm out shopping.