steel-cut oats crock-pot recipe

Just_Scott
Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
Crock-pot oatmeal

Makes about 6 cups

2 cups steel-cut oats
7-8 cups water (or a combination of milk and water)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large, firm apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.

Add all ingredients except dried fruit.

If you plan to cook the oatmeal for 8 hours or less you can use less water. Every slow cooker is different, so you may need to play around with the amount of liquid until you find what you like best. I used 7 cups and it came out fine, but I had some stuck-on oatmeal.

Cook on low overnight.

Add the dried fruit in the morning and cook for another half hour. You can add the dried fruit at night as well, but it gets pretty soft. The texture is better if you only cook it for a shorter time.

Taste your oatmeal before adding any sugar—you might find that it is sweet enough on its own. Enjoy.

Replies

• Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    As that is a lot of oatmeal, how does warm up in the microwave after being refrigerated?
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    thank you love this, I pre make a lot too and either keep in serving size in fridge and just add a bit of water to reheat in microwave or portion out and this freezes very well.
  • Just_Scott
    it warms up really well; the garage is the frig lately, so it doesn't crowd out other items :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    That's sounds lovely Scott!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    You can also freeze it for later. Holds up very well.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    yum, I have a real goodone too, but um, snow day, many white Russians, and shoveling, so will get back at this
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Scott, what size crockpot do you use for this? I have 3 of them and would like to make this in my smallest one (3 quart) so don't know if I need to reduce measurements to make it fit!
  • Just_Scott
    I need to be honest, haven't been asked the size of my crock-pot lately. But on this site...well, let me give it to you. 6...6 quarts I believe. Hope this helps.:noway:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I need to be honest, haven't been asked the size of my crock-pot lately. But on this site...well, let me give it to you. 6...6 quarts I believe. Hope this helps.:noway:

LOL :)

Thanks that does help, I can halve it and be in good shape then.
  • Just_Scott
    true. Enjoy it, it's easy to store for use throughout a week.
  • My take on that:

3 apples, diced
    3 cups water
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup apple juice

cinnamon, honey, nutmeg

Cook high 4 hours, low 2 hours.
  • Just_Scott
    steel-cut bump
  • Just_Scott
    steel cut bump
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I'd have to eat it for lunch since I do IF and don't have breakfast but I'm ok with that. Chocolate protein powder is a good addition in oats by the way.