Why does my stomach look like this? Please help

Options
I've posted regarding this problem before, but didn't really get any solid answers other than that I should see a doctor. I've taken some clearer photos this time and I'm hoping someone will be able to enlighten me.

For the longest time (as long as I can remember) my stomach has been a really weird shape. It bulges out and there's an indent between the upper and lower stomach. I can't begin to explain how self conscious I am as a result of this problem. I've scoured the internet for answers but I can't seem to find anything.

I'm 5'4 and weigh 119 lbs so I'm not overweight, though obviously I do carry some fat around my stomach area. I do an hour a day on the stationary bike as well as ab exercises. Diet wise, I'm vegan (ethical reasons) and mainly eat fruits, vegetables, beans/legumes, and soy products. I don't think there's anything I currently eat that could be the cause of my problem, but I might be wrong.

I've found that if I stand straight and push my spine out, it looks slightly better. But it still doesn't look normal and there's still an "indention" separating my lower and upper stomach. It doesn't feel hard like a mass, it literally just feels like fat. But that doesn't explain the odd shape.

Pic: http://i43.tinypic.com/wa0nwp.jpg

On the left I'm relaxed. On the right, I'm making a conscious effort to pull my stomach in and push my spine out.

Sorry this post is so long, I'm just frustrated. Hopefully I've provided enough detail and someone will be able to help me out.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Do you do any low back core work? If not add some. I would also suggest heavy weight lifting focusing on lifts like squats, standing overhead presses, bench presses, bent over rows, and deadlifts. My guess is at least part of the issue is imbalance between your abdominal muscles and the other core muscles . That is purely a guess though.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    wa0nwp.jpg
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it kinda looks like diastasis reci of the upper abdominal. I got it after i had given birth to my babies both times. Lay down with your back on the floor and slightly lift your head. then feel your abdomen to see if there is a separation.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The line is caused by the "tendinous inscriptions". These are the same lines that one sees in a muscle builder's "six pack". In your case, only one is apparent.

I'm not a medical expert (just took comparative anatomy in college). If I were you, I'd research around the search string "tendinous inscriptions".

Good luck!
  • jennalicia
    jennalicia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try doing a search for "B Belly" in the forums - kindly named B belly because it looks like a B from the side. I have this too and am super self-conscious about it, no idea what causes it. I've heard it is just another body type - not much we can do about it unfortunately without plastic surgery (tummy tuck). I don't know if this is true or not so I'm interested to see what others have to say. Sorry I don't have any advice but I can sympathize.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a lovely roll of fat right under my bra line, it creases inward, then the belly pooch begins. Just like yours except higher up. I just take it to be how my body looks when I'm carrying fat, and I'm going to get rid of it by reducing body fat.