Hair falling out! Help

Options

Replies

• penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough protein? try taking biotin...
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've lost 108 pounds over the past 7.5 months and my hair started to fall out about 5 months in. It is all growing back, but I have lost about half. My doctor and nutritionist told me to expect this to happen- it is common with massive weight loss. They suggested at least 80g of protein/day and 5000mg biotin. At 7.5 months the loss has slowed considerably and my hair is in various stages of regrowth from stubble to 1.5 inches.

Check it out with your doctor, but it could just be the weight loss.

Good luck!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    By all means check with your GP on this but, I will tell you that I have had this issue twice in the past due to weight loss. At one point I lost 1/2 of my hair and Biotin did not help whatsoever, but I did use a Shampoo called Nioxin or Nutri-ox and this helped my hair grow back in, as it was recommended by my hairdresser. I also took biotin, and ensured I was getting enough protein. So this time around I am now down 99 lbs, but in 14 mths, I have not lost any hair of significance. If you doc clears you of any medical issues, you might give the shampoo a try.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor.

It could be due to a protein deficiency. Not sure how your weight loss went, but when people try to cut down their intake (especially when it is below their BMR) and cut out a lot of their foods not realizing their macros are really low - this is what happens. (not just the hair, but other side effects due to deficiencies in protein and other essential nutrients).
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    In the mean time, get a biotin supplement.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    see your doctor, but most people don't realize this but hair is protein and loss can be from not enough protein if the doctor rules out health issue, go to julian's bakery website and they have a great liquid protein there that grew my hair like crazy. Dr. first then protien...
  • mannon1965
    Options
    Make sure you are taking a multivitamin.
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had this problem . I don't know if it was from medication from diabetes or whatnot but I started taking fish oil pills once a day 1200 mg and now seems to have stopped . I was freaking out. I know what your going through. :) Fish oil pills help tons of stuff. I use to have brittle nails.. now they are strong. Finally growing! I wish I knew about these a long time ago!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

Make sure you eating enough calories and getting enough vitamins, minerals, fats, and protein.

My hair goes through a cycle once every 1-2 years where I 'shed' more hair than normal. My hairdresser said that is normal, but if it's more often, it's likely related to diet or some other health problem.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    By all means check with your GP on this but, I will tell you that I have had this issue twice in the past due to weight loss. At one point I lost 1/2 of my hair and Biotin did not help whatsoever, but I did use a Shampoo called Nioxin or Nutri-ox and this helped my hair grow back in, as it was recommended by my hairdresser. I also took biotin, and ensured I was getting enough protein. So this time around I am now down 99 lbs, but in 14 mths, I have not lost any hair of significance. If you doc clears you of any medical issues, you might give the shampoo a try.
    Love me some Nioxin. I have found it in grocery stores like Publix (South Carolina). It works by cleansing the shaft and root system of your hair while promoting healthy growth. While I agree with others that you should definitely see your doctor, this might help for now.
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    Folic Acid and Biotin should help. Most likely your not getting enough nutrients with your diet. Anorexics have this problem due to lack of nutrients. Make sure to see your Dr to check all your levels. If your potassium is out of whack that can create serious health problems! :)
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, although I eat plenty of protein and fats. My calories are typically near 1600/day (which is way lower than I was eating pre-diet, but plenty enough in my opinion). I've had my thyroid checked, hormones checked, everything always comes back normal. My skin is very dry too here in the last year or so. The only difference is I had a combination hysterectomy/ gall bladder removal surgery in October. IDK if I'm not processing and absorbing the fat now? Or if it could be hormone related, since I only have one ovary now? It's very depressing though. My hair is WAY thinner now than ever. Could it be age? Dr.s can't seem to give me any answers. One thing I do notice from these posts is the Biolage statement. I'm currently using BioInfusion, which is supposed to be some "generic" type of Biolage product. It's a long shot, but I'm going to discontinue it and see if I see a difference. Worth a try. :(
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are insulin resistant.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is quite common with rapid weight loss.
    If you look at any Bariatric forum most of the people in there get it, it tends to be from lack of protein. If you up you protein to 90+ grams a day I would be willing to bet the hair loss would stop.

I do agree with the others to see a doctor and get any tests they recommend but try adding more protein in your diet and see if that helps.

this sounds very logical!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor.

^^^ this! Go see a doctor!

Your hair falling out is something on the outside, and who knows what other things you got going on the inside. Most likely just a quick or easy fix to your diet, but don't wait for the problem to get worse!
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have lost 94lbs over the last year. I eat very healthy and workout 6 days a week (cardio and weights). Recently my hair has started to come out in large amounts and I can feel how much thinner my hair is now...... HELP!!! What is causing this?!

I had the same issue happen to me just last year. The first thing I say is to go have a thyroid test. When hair falls out it is usually a sign that your hormones are out of whack. My thyroid was fine, but my doctor put me on trace minerals and fish oil. It was stopped and is now growing back.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40% of mine when I lost the bulk of my weight despite keeping high calories, healthy foods, lots of good fat and high protein levels (over 100g), vitamins and taking it slow. It's par for the course in my experience with a big weight loss. It should stop within 3 months and start growing back within 6 months.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This thread is a year old. I wonder if they OP ever found her answer.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would wait on the doctor visit and see what happens over the next several weeks. If the hair loss slows back down to a normal level, I would just shrug it off as a side effect of weight loss.

Stress and depression can cause it too, btw. I had a phase where a bunch of my hair fell out, it was gross because when my bf ran his fingers through my hair he'd come out with a handful of hair! Ugh. But it stopped and was fine. I'm told hair loss usually occurs about 3 months after a high stress time? But who knows.

I don't know of anything that puts your health in immediate danger, so I would say just keep calm and see what happens.