Best things to do in Oahu, Hawaii

Options
I'm going on vacation next year with my husband to Oahu. We were wondering if anyone had some personal suggestions on what to do and where to go.

Best Luau?
Best Restaurant?
Nice place to stay but doesn't break the bank....
Dolphin adventure?
Zip lines?

Anything that you would suggest...Thanks!

Replies

• justinswife
    justinswife Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My sister in law lives over there! I will have to ask her!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    My sister in law lives over there! I will have to ask her!

Oh please do! I would completely appreciate it! We are trying to plan our trip in advance so that we have somewhat of a budget planned. I really really appreciate it.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We were just there in May of this year. We stayed at the Ilikai, next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort. We loved it! The rooms were huge with balconies and a full kitchen and we only paid $93 per night! Part of the hotel is a time share, but they rent the rooms out as regular hotel rooms. It's a two minute walk to the beach. There was a bus stop and a trolley stop right outside of the hotel. Let me know if you're interested -- I can message over some more specifics! I would definitely stay there again!
  • rpbabs
    rpbabs Posts: 16
    Options
    Definitely check out Diamond Head. It's an inactive volcano and you walk all the way to the top of it. It's a steep, tough walk, but well worth it. The view from up there is amazing.

Drive around the entire island and stop off at the North Shore Beach and at the awesome shrimp truck along the way.

If you feel like going on a hike, this one is amazing:
    http://www.viator.com/tours/Oahu/Hawaiian-Waterfall-Small-Group-Hiking-Adventure/d672-33583?SSAID=317673&aid=132440

Also, you will find that Japanese food is a huge there. You must try okonomiyaki. Quite interesting and delish. Of course, it has a lot of calories, but how often does one go to Hawaii. :D

I hope you have an amazing trip!
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you visit a red sand beach and a black sand beach. :D so cool ! I've never been but will some day. :smile:
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ooooooooooh, you lucky thing, I have just come back from my honeymoon there, it was gorgeous.

As awful as it is to say, we didnt actually do much, when we got there, just chilled on the beach and by the pool, we stayed at the Hilton Village, which had loads of pools and restaurants. To be honest, we were there at the end of September and it was too hot to do anything really! Plus we had 3 nights partying in Vegas prior to arriving in Hawaii, which had wiped us out!!! After Hawaii we went to San Fran so it was always our intention to fully chill out on the beach.

I would recommend Rum Fire at the Sheritan Hotel, its a really nice bar, over looking the sea, with lots of fire bowls, and great cocktails. Tropics at the Hilton is a nice bar, food was really nice, and again right on the beach, they have a band on each night from about 6pm, we would chill on the beach early evening listening to the band it was lovely. We also went to Cheesecake Factory a couple of times which was gorgeous!!! We saw a Nobu restaurant near the Sheritan on our last night which we would have loved to try, there was a large queue outside, so looks like it was a good place to go, but probably need to book a table!!

Ha so basically, we sun bathed and ate!!! Ha, but we had a great time, and the place is gorgeous!!!

Enjoy! xx
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    It has been about 3 years since we were there but I'm sure it hasn't changed much. We spent 10 days there and could have used another 4 for sure. Depending on where you stay you could get by without renting a car, but then you are dependent on public transportation,etc. I would budget for a compact car. We stayed at the Marriott on Waikiki Beach and it was right in the heart of many things that you could walk to as well.

1.) Diamond Head is a must see. As someone mentioned this is a great hike to the top. Bring plenty of water
    2.) North Shore is a must see, especially depending on what time of the year you're there. Jan-Feb time frame you will see the biggest waves of your life they tell me.
    3.) Dole Pineapple Plantation. This is right on your way to the North Shore and a good way to spend a couple of hours
    4.) We got roped into doing a "timeshare" pitch for luau tickets. It was OK as the pitch was done in the refurbished hotel that was in the opening scene of Hawaii Five O if anyone is old enough to remember that. Also from the windows was the harbor that the opening scenes from Gilligan's Island were shot. Really dating myself here.
    5.) A drive to the opposite of the Island to an area called Lani Kai. It is the most beautiful place/water we have ever seen.
    6.) The Polynesian Cultural Center is supposed to be a great attraction, we couldn't get our boys interested in seeing that.
    7.) Pearl Harbor This is a must see as well. Go early as it can be quite busy.

Hope that helps.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you!! Keep the suggestions coming please!
  • hopewms
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Hawaii!!! I went on a family vacation last year and can't wait to go back. We're not the type to sit on a beach and laze around all day, so we stayed busy the whole time. Here are a few of **my favorite things**.

1. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. You have to get there before 9am otherwise it will be hard to find parking. You can rent snorkeling equipment there or anywhere in Waikiki. The equipment is about $15/day and Hanauma is $5. Well worth it!!!!
    2. Dole Plantation. Go get some pineapple ice cream, its delicious.
    3. Three Tables and Shark's Cove - absolutely beautiful and great snorkeling here too.
    4. Waimae Falls - kinda touristy, but gorgeous.
    5. Waimae Bay - go jump off the big rock. What a thrill!!! I was scared to death, but did it anyway, what a rush!!!!
    6. Goat Island - On the west side of the island there's a park where you can have a lovely picnic lunch and then walk out to Goat Island. It's about 150 ft from the beach. If the tides not too high its really easy to get to and then you'll be on your own private island! Such a small thing, but definitely a highlight of our whole trip.
    7. Pearl Harbor of course of course of course. You cannot go to Hawaii without going there. I'm not a museum person but I really enjoyed my morning there.
    8. Flea market - just up the street from Pearl Harbor at the stadium is a flea market. We bought most of our souvenirs there. Lots of stuff but only open 2 days a week (sorry, can't remember which days).

Luau: I was told the luau's on Oahu aren't the greatest. If you're planning on going to another island try to go to Lahaina, Maui. The Old Lahaina Luau is the best in the state. I've recommended to many people and they have all LOVED it.

I hope this helped. Feel free to ask me specifics. I planned my whole family's vaca there and then helped a few friends plan theirs' as well.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I'm really excited and LOVING the tips!! thank you!
  • rpbabs
    rpbabs Posts: 16
    Options
    One more suggestion! I almost forgot about it until my husband mentioned it this weekend. You should try to check out Pali Lookout. It is super windy up there, but the view is amazing and you will get some cool pictures. You will not be there for longer than 15-20 minutes. Here is a website with info/directions:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/pali_lookout.htm
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    One more suggestion! I almost forgot about it until my husband mentioned it this weekend. You should try to check out Pali Lookout. It is super windy up there, but the view is amazing and you will get some cool pictures. You will not be there for longer than 15-20 minutes. Here is a website with info/directions:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/pali_lookout.htm

Thank you so very much!
  • RobertsMommy
    RobertsMommy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thts crazy my husband and I are going in Febuary and I am so excited I can't wait!
  • sierramist13
    sierramist13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i know this post is a few months old but if you haven't gone, being someone that lives on oahu, i have to recommend a few must see places...
    -if you like shrimp and even if you don't because i didnt til i went here- Romy's Kahuku Prawns and Shrimp.. the best garlic shrimp! be warned there is usually a long line but the wait is well worth it.
    -If you can't make it out there then Bubba Gump in Ala Moana Mall is great too
    -I actually would recommend any of the restaurants (not food court) in Ala Moana Shopping Center.. mai tai bar has a killer happy hour!
    -Luau- sure PCC is educational and fun and the food was good but i'd say- paradise cove..
    -if you are going to Ko'olina which i say is great if you want to go to a beach that isn't overly crowded. cove 4 is best as it's bigger and has the most parking.. Roys restaurant has amazing food as well..
    -Hotel... there are quite a few right in the middle of it all that won't drain your wallet.. my aunty works at halekulani and doubletree alana so i have to throw them out there.. i have stayed at them and their rooms are very nice Ohana east and west are also nice hotels close to everything..
    - if you want a 360 of some of the most amazing views on the island and on a clear day, molokai, hike the 1000+ 'steps' of Koko Head Crater.. Bring lots of water!
    - view the island, drive around it if you can, stop off at the look outs and ask the locals where they recommend... stop in at champs sports ala moana and get a new pair of shoes! get rainbow SHAVE ICE with ice cream on the bottom (only live once right?!!)
    Enjoy!