I don't know what I'm doing wrong help?

Options
I'm 5'1" 135lbs today is my first day on MFP. I've been working out for the last 6 months but really picked it up last month I jog 1 mile at 5mph then go striaght into a brisk walk of 2.5 at a 8.0 incline 6-7 days a week and I also do 30 day shred level 1 3 days a week for strength (this is my second time doing 30ds) I'm trying to eat healthy I stopped drinking soda and drink 48 ounces of water a day (all I can handle) my goal is 110 but ever since I had my child my body can't seem to lose the fat. Does anyone have any suggestions I'm pulling my hair out because everything I do is not working.

Replies

• pheona76
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much. Cut your calories, and you'll lose weight.
  • al8911
    al8911 Posts: 3
    Options
    yes Im staying between 1400 to 1500 calories a day and burn between 500 to 700 calories in exercises and my bmr is 1300 so im in a burning at least 300 calories a day to 700 calories a day and nothing :(
  • jamiebxo
    jamiebxo Posts: 116
    Options
    You might be consuming more calories than you think. If you're not tracking all calories and/or weighing out your food on a scale, then there's a good chance you're underestimating how much you're eating. Start tracking and weighing your food to get a more accurate picture of how much you're consuming and you should start losing. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Today is your first day. So start logging. Be sure to use a food scale - weigh or measure EVERYTHING you eat and log it. Be as accurate as possible. Give it a month.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes Im staying between 1400 to 1500 calories a day and burn between 500 to 700 calories in exercises and my bmr is 1300 so im in a burning at least 300 calories a day to 700 calories a day and nothing :(

the workouts you described may be burning 300 calories at most. Definitely not 700
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie burns? Your numbers seem very high for the exercise you described.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much. Cut your calories, and you'll lose weight.

this.
    - sure you are accurately measuring and logging your food.
    - keep in mind that the MFP database is not always accurate (i recently found something listed as being 600 calories less than the actual amount)
    - you are more than likely overestimating how many calories your workouts are burning
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You'd be losing weight if you were truly only netting 700 calories a day. You're eating more than you think, and burning less than you think. Get a food scale. Read here and check out some of the links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • lifestrengthpower
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating and when? Is your balance of protein/carbs/fats good? Are you maintaining a steady intake throughout the day? You may not be planning for glycemic spikes. Check what types of carbs you are eating and whether you are countering glycemic spikes with fiber, good fats and protein. Also realize that you may be building muscle through your exercise in which case your weight will not reflect your true state.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Will you open your diary?
    Are you logging everything?
    How do you measure?

And I agree with the post above saying that 700 is quite a high calorie burn for what you described.
  • pheona76
    Options

So it is generally used as a rule that you most have a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb of weight. Keep in mind it would be very aggressive to lose 3 lbs a week 1 lb would be average. So instead of tracking day to day you could track whether total week intake is 3500 to 10500 less then total week burned.

So for example if your bmr for the week is 1300*7 = 9100 calories and you consume 1400 a day totaling about 9800 calories a week. To lose 1 lb you would have to burn 700 calories 6 days a week (((9800-9100)+3500)/700=6).

If that does not work your bmr, calories consumed or calories burned for exercise is off. If you are sure of your measurements and find that your metabolism is soo low that you seem to have a bmr below 1200 you should discuss the possibility of a thyroid problem with your doctor.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" 135lbs today is my first day on MFP. I've been working out for the last 6 months but really picked it up last month I jog 1 mile at 5mph then go striaght into a brisk walk of 2.5 at a 8.0 incline 6-7 days a week and I also do 30 day shred level 1 3 days a week for strength (this is my second time doing 30ds) I'm trying to eat healthy I stopped drinking soda and drink 48 ounces of water a day (all I can handle) my goal is 110 but ever since I had my child my body can't seem to lose the fat. Does anyone have any suggestions I'm pulling my hair out because everything I do is not working.

You could be eating too much. You might not be eating enough. Get a scale and record EVERYTHING you eat and everything you do.

DRINK MORE WATER!! Especially if you exercise a lot. I like to add some flavour to mine and have a fresh bottle half full in the freezer.

It could be the exercise. Funny thing... I hit a plateau when I started doing Zumba and using the Elliptical 4 days a week.

HEALTH ISSUES?? If your Thyroid or Hormones are off it will affect your weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating and when? Is your balance of protein/carbs/fats good? Are you maintaining a steady intake throughout the day? You may not be planning for glycemic spikes. Check what types of carbs you are eating and whether you are countering glycemic spikes with fiber, good fats and protein. Also realize that you may be building muscle through your exercise in which case your weight will not reflect your true state.

The GI doesn't affect weight loss without a medical condition. Also, there is no way the OP is building any new muscle mass. A person would have to eat a surplus of calories and have a progressive lifting program. Right now the OP is doing cardio with a cardio resistance program. Nothing that will be able to produce muscle mass.

OP, do you have a food scale? If not, you are probably eating more calories than you think. Additionally, doing some mild running and 30ds will not burn 700 calories.. it's probably more like 300 calories. I am a man that is 70 lbs heavier than you and even that would be a struggle for me. And considering you just joined, you need to give things a month before adjusting your routine. Although, I would suggest adding more resistance training instead of the extra cardio.
  • pheona76
    Options

This is a good point. Weighing yourself isn't the best measurement of health or appearance. It is better to use how your clothes fit as a measurement of appearance. And a yearly physical as a measurement of health.