Really confused about calories! Please help!

Options
Hello all,

I'm new to MFP and am confused about how many calories I should be eating per day. The app has me at 1200 per day, and while I can manage that I've been getting conflicting info from other people/sites. According to them 1200 is too low and will cause my body to go into starvation mode. I am sincerely trying to lose weight and have had unhealthy habits in the past so I'm trying my best I do this the right and healthy way. I'm 22 yrs old, 5ft 4in and I weigh 165. I am trying to get to 125 with a goal of losing 2.5 lbs a week (give or take). Is 1200 too low for this goal, and will it only hinder me or set me back? If so what should my intake be? And if 1200 IS the best for me why are the other sources telling me differently?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance for the help!

Always,
Steph

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal per day too, and 5'1". But my goal is to lose 1 lb per week, which i am doing consistently. Personally, for me, 2.5 lbs would be too aggressive...but that's me. You need to find what works for you. Good luck.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    2.5 lbs a week is far too high of a goal for you with the amount of weight you are looking to lose.

The less you have to lose, the lower your weight loss per week goal should be. 2 lbs a week is only realistic for those with over 100 lbs to lose.

For what you are looking to lose .5-1lb a week is what you should be aiming for. That should put you over 1200. Plus, keep in mind this app is designed for you to log exercise and eat those calories back. Yes, there is an issue with estimation, so some people don't eat all of them back, but you should eat a good portion, even if it is 50-75%.

1200 is suitable for some people. At your height and weight, you should be aiming higher.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, you want to stay around your BMR as a minimum. If you create too much of a deficit, your body will fight you and it will win.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The advice I have seen loads of times is that 1 1.5 lb is a good loss. my personal experience (started at 240+ now at 205) is that 2lb a week (-1000 cal a day) is very sustainable (for me). I put this in brackets because we are all different :-) My way of using MFP and tackle my health/fitness is to do quite a bit of exercise. MFP allows you to log in all of your exercise (After choosing the basic type of life you lead). This exercise will increase the total amount of calories you will eat in a day - eat them as it is important to keep you healthy and energized. MFP also shows macros - protein, fat and carbs. My way of doing things is to try and hit these. It gives our bodies what ir really needs and teaches us what sort of stuff (and in what quantities) to put into our bodies. By doing this I have managed to achieve a 2lb weight loss per week for 20 weeks while really improving my fitness levels.

I would also say that MFP works for me because of the people here. Make friends (Add me if you like) and then write on each others walls, see what they are up to... immerse yourself it in. In that way you will develop a space and interact with people who are succeeding in doing what you want to do - it sort of drags you onwards past the points I've packed in before.

good luck,
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph

To be honest, a goal of -2.5lbs per week is unrealistic and unhealthy, especially for someone without a ton of weight to lose. To lose up to a lb a week you should probably be eating around 1500 calories a day. There are tons of online calculators you can use to help you determine how much you should be eating like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

If you are exercising, you should also be eating back at least some of your exercise calories as MFP does not include these in your daily targets. When you log exercise you will see your calorie allowance increase on your food diary.

Another way to figure it out is to determine your TDEE which is your total daily energy expenditure (the calculators can help with this as well) this is the total number of calories you burn a day including any exercise you do. I find this easier as you simply figure out your TDEE - 20% and eat that.

Just be sure to recalculate these as you lose weight as the numbers will change.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 42 years old, menopausal, and 110 pounds soaking wet. *I* have to eat at least 1400 calories just to maintain my weight without exercise. My daily job is a desk job. I'm lucky if I get 5,000 steps in per day on my FitBit if I'm not actively exercising.

That said, my BMR is around 1150 calories. My average intake of calories is 1600 calories without losing weight.

I would say, you would be just fine to lose 1 pound per week if you ate around 1300 - 1400 calories per day, but only time will tell. If you have 1200 calories and you're not hungry, then I wouldn't worry about it! :)
  • Steph_Nicole07
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I didn't know 2.5 l was so unrealistic, so I'm going to change my goal and aim for 1-1.5. The last thing I want to do is crash diet! And I've used a lot of your adobe and calculators and I think I'm going to try 1400 and see how that goes.
    Thanks again!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Even 1.5 is too high, IMO.