Advice on Running

Options
I would like to start running. I have never been a runner before and am a bit self conscience to run in public at the moment although I know I have to. What is the easiest way to ease myself into it?

I also have another question...is there a trick to running on the treadmill? I have heard some say it's not easy but I don't understand how it could hard.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would suggest C25Kor some kind of program like that. I used it and went from being a non runner to running half marathons. If you don't want to buy an app, you could even look it up and keep track of your own intervals with a simple stopwatch.
    I don't run on a treadmill anymore. I didn't like it and I prefer to run outside. I just don't care how I look - most days I am a sweaty mess and I am okay with that! :laugh:
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Look into the C25K (Couch to 5K) program. I swear by it. I built up to running 1/2 marathons thanks to that program.

And TM running.. I hate it. I'm lucky and live in an area where I can run outdoors virtually year round. I cannot run for more than 30 minutes on the TM... due to being uncoordinated and I frankly find it boring. Others swear by running on it and hate running outdoors... to each their own.

ETA: Believe it or not no one is looking at you while you run. It's all in your head. :) Other folks running usually wave and don't think twice about you and what you're doing - they're focused on themselves.
  • doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to be so scared about running in public. I'd put on all of my clothes, get ready to leave, have a panic attack, and then just do the elliptical.

But one day I realized that no one cares. The people passing by don't care how fast or slow I'm going. They don't care that I'm out of shape or don't look by best. I'm the only one that cares. Most of the people passing by don't even notice me. I've decided not to care what others think anymore, even though sometimes I still freak out a little. So, just go for it, get out there and run!

Do you go walking? If so, that's one step closer to running! The best way to ease yourself into it is to walk, run, walk, run, walk, etc...
    I've heard the Couch to 5k program is really good for beginners, but I haven't tried it. I just started off by walking, adding a bit of running, and pushing myself, until eventually, I was just running.

Treadmills. A lot of people don't like them, but I love my treadmill, it's where I log most of my miles. The treadmill is as hard as you make it, as you are in charge of setting the incline and speed. I like interval workouts on treadmills because they help pass the time (pbfingers.com has some great treadmill workouts).

One of the most important things in running is to have the right shoes. If you're really going to commit to running, you need to invest in good shoes. Running shoes can be pretty pricey, but it's an investment in your health, and it's a monetary commitment that will hopefully make you stick with running even more!

Running is hard at first, but it gets easier, and then it becomes like the best thing ever.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a way to ease yourself into running outside. You just have to go outside and do it. But, I promise, you'll never regret it.

I notice runners when I'm outside or driving or looking out the window but I think that is because I love running and I'm happy they're running too. When I see someone running, especially someone like me (overweight, breathing heavy, red-faced, etc) I do a little secret cheer for them.

I don't think most people will even notice but the ones that do will see what you're doing as something positive.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I also recommend C25K to get you started (there are free apps I believe). I got thru half of it and then just started doing my own thing. I was self-conscious at first; but like the prior messages say. Nobody is really paying any attention to you (although typically people will waive or smile).

I personally hate the treadmill; just too boring!! I love to run outdoors.

Good Luck!
  • cdh5068
    cdh5068 Posts: 26
    Options
    I use to run at the gym everyday and felt perfectly at home, but was terrified to run outside. Then I sucked it up and started running outside instead of going to the gym. After the first few times I felt confident and loved it. I recently started going to the gym again since it's so cold, and I was nervous to run at the gym again. It's normal to be nervous when you start running in a new environment, or start running period. I think after you work up the courage to do it once or twice, you'll see that it's not so scary. When I run at the gym, everyone is too wrapped up in their own workout to notice me. When I run outside, I actually find I get a lot of smiles, waves, and sometimes even high fives and cheers. Although I've never encountered it, I won't pretend that people never get heckled outside, but it's rare and it's pretty much always someone who couldn't actually run themselves. Everyone else who is out there moving their butts is super supportive, or worst case scenario, ignores you.

And I agree with those who said to use c25k. I absolutely loved it! There's a c25k group on here that's very helpful and supportive
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    running on a treadmill is hard because its so boring. I do it by listening to music that gets me pumped.

start running by doing the couch to 5k program
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    running on a treadmill is not harder, just a bit different. First, when you run on the road your pace can fluctuate, on a treadmill the treadmill sets that pace and does not fluctuate. Second, seems to me that running on a TM uses a bit different set of muscles that road running. I always seem to feel a TM run a bit more in my hip flexors. Oh yeah, it's boring too.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    I've started 3 C25K's and had not finished a one of them. Then I saw on Facebook a local running club was starting a C25K program in a park only 1/4 mile from my house. So I joined. Having the accountabilty help me greatly. That was in October 2013, since then I have run 2 5ks, started and finished the Holiday Streak (running at least one mile from Thanksgiving through New Years Day) and now I'm training to run 1 half marathon in March. and this from a guy that used to hate to run.... but now ~ I love it!

Advice, find a group or at least two other folks and start you own C25K in your area. You can do this!

Good luck and let us know.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    There are 2 kinds of running in my opinion. Treadmill running to me is boring and repetative. I really hate it but that is my personal opinion.

I love outdoor and track running. If you have never ran before, my recommendation is the first time to set a goal. For example you could say I am going to do a run/wal for 15 minutes. So the first minute run, walk 2nd minute, 3rd minute run, walk 4th minute, ect. If that is too ambitious find what works for you and increase your running time without walking little by little in 15-30 second incriments. Best of luck to you!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    running on a treadmill is not harder, just a bit different. First, when you run on the road your pace can fluctuate, on a treadmill the treadmill sets that pace and does not fluctuate. Second, seems to me that running on a TM uses a bit different set of muscles that road running. I always seem to feel a TM run a bit more in my hip flexors. Oh yeah, it's boring too.

Also, on the TM your pattern of running is consistent, you are using the same muscles over and over again in a similar pattern. Unless you change the incline in the middle of the run which changes your pattern only a little bit.

On the road, you are no longer running on a flat surface so your feet are constantly readjusting to the ground surface (little tiny twists in your ankles) which causes your muscles to be used differently constantly. The other main difference as you mentioned is that your speed fluctuates on the road while the TM sets the pace for you.

TM can be boring, so I NEED my music. I do both and do fine doing both. I log most of my weekly shorter runs on the TM especially if the weather is bad and I have to make sure I get to work on time. Saturday's and days off from work I will head outside and do a long run.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input! I downloaded the C25K app last night and will give it a go--not sure when I can start as it just decided to snow a few inches here but if I can do it on a treadmill I will suck it up and do it at the gym tonight.

Thanks again everyone :) If you are interested in my progress, you can add me here or check out my blog here too. Hope you all have a great day and happy running!
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    This is all good advice but try to find out if your local running stores sponsor training groups. In Wichita Kansas we have a running store called "GORUN" and it has "paid" training but you get a lot for $125.00, including a $100 credit towards new shoes, socks, a shirt and most importantly scheduled group long runs. Who knows your new best friend might be met at a running group. Give it a try.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of pretty good advice so far but I will ad some thoughts. If you haven't been a runner before, becoming one can be hard but it s totally doable. Don't give up. Progress will likely be slow. Don't give up. You'll feel self conscious especially when you get passed on the street by someone who couldn't possibly be more fit than you. Don't give up.

Finally, I found that cycling on my non running days made me a much better runner. Sign up for a 5k in a couple months to the yourself a goal.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K as well! I'm on week 3 (and terrified with Week 4 goals).

I use the treadmill, right now, for 2 reasons: 1) It is -30 degrees Celsius outside, and 2) it helps me keep my speed/pace on track (when I did go running outside with the app, my walking intervals were a bit slower, and I'm assuming the same for my jogging intervals).

I read up somewhere that when you have your treadmill on an incline of 1.0-2.0 it simulates the same environment as running outdoors (I guess in terms of degree of difficult and resistence). I leave mine at 1.0.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go outside. i can't run much on the treadmill at all, but put me outside and i'll run with a smile on my face.
  • curtishissam
    curtishissam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start by walking and slowly build up...
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K. That's how I started. (I was 320 lbs when i started running! Anyone can do it and noone is looking at you.)

I like running out doors, but I live in Nebraska and half the year the weather doesn't permit this. I also like running on a treadmill while I'm doing intervals or inclines or whatever because I can control speed and incline.

Get good quality shoes. You won't regret it.

The way that I got started and really got into it was that I picked a 5k run in my city that was about 4 months out. I registered for it and paid the fee and then I had a goal to move toward. That helped a lot.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I could never run and never thought I would enjoy it but I started off with doing .5k of a jog and .5k of a walk and just built up from there. Now I love running!
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program, it will gradually get you into running. I enjoy running on my treadmill especially when it is like -16 degrees outside. But I prefer running outdoors because of the scenery and the people I come accross (running buddies). Nonetheless, if you are seriously interested in running inside on a treadmill or outdoors, try C25k, get your gait analyzed and purchase the appropriate shoes for your feet to keep injuries at bay and if you decide to run outdoors, dress appropriately for the weather to guarantee your comfort. Also, don't be too hard on yourself when you need to walk and run, some runners have gotten their best times with intervals of walking and running. RUN PRETTY!