BMR & TDEE Help Needed - Pleaseeeee

Options
Hi Guys,
So my BMR is 1811 and my TDEE is 2173 what should be my daily calorie allowance? If I ate 1800 a day it would work out at less than 1lb a week loss.
Also I plan to do one hours exercise a day, should i eat those calories back?
All advice really welcomed as I am determined to shift my unwanted weight this year!

Shauna

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting these numbers from?
    Did you include your exercise in your TDEE (from a rough guess it looks like no)?
    TDEE should include exercise. If you do, then you do not eat those calories back.
    If you follow MFP (which is not TDEE), they you do.

Also -
    check out this link, answers a lot of your questions and more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This guy is my guru on BMR and TDEE. He is also on the forum topics

The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis.
    This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR.
    Add 20% to suggested calories to know your TDEE.
    Use the Katch McGardle BMR number to know your BMR.
    Never eat at or below BMR.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat.

I'll hand you the tools for a successful and sustainable diet that you can use and manipulate to achieve your goals.
    If you are looking to lose weight, you just eat the calories given by doing the simple math and following the directions on the page.
    If you are looking to maintain weight, you add 20% to the number given and youll know approximately what your TDEE is.
    The link is at the bottom of this grand post!

I've said it several times here on this forum and i'll say it again and again:

True dieting needs the knowledge of 3 very important numbers.

1) TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    This is the amount of calories you burn all day.
    From before you wake up in the morning and pee to the time you lay your head down at night to sleep and into the night.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a post on the forum or on someones Diary "Ugh! I feel sooo guilty because I went over calories today!" when the person went over a few cals over a 40% cut from TDEE.

Knowing TDEE allows you to understand that anything above TDEE is a surplus and you will "eventually" gain weight.
    Anything at TDEE you maintain weight.
    Anything below TDEE you lose weight to an extent. (see BMR)

2) BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate or RMR Resting Metabolic Rate.
    If you were in a coma and in the hospital, the doctors would feed you your BMR in calories.
    This ensures you have enough nutrients for vital organs to function.
    http://www.brighthubeducation.com/science-homework-help/107443-ten-essential-organs-in-the-human-body/
    This is just a small list of vital organs in the human body.
    Eating at BMR and staying in bed should maintain things as long as you do nothing at all.
    Most people who start using MFP dont really understand the importance of this BMR number.
    They jump in with both feet thinking "I'm going to lose soooooo much weight and be fantastic!"
    What they dont understand is by not eating back calories from working out, they are netting below BMR.
    The only people who should be eating below BMR are folks who have had Gastric Bypass, 500-700 cals/day, or people who are morbidly obese and only for an extremely short time and only prescribed by their "Nutritionist".

Most people who eat at or below BMR will lose weight for a short time.
    20-50% of most weight lost on a Very Low Calorie Diet is from Lean Mass.
    This is the opposite of true dieting.
    Most people who diet want to have better looking bodies and live a healthy life.
    They want to reduce fat mass and raise lean mass.
    Eating at BMR or lower actually maintains fat mass while dropping lean mass.

If the body does not get enough energy from calories in, it will seek ways to slow itself down.
    Leptin levels drop, cortisol levels rise.
    Anabolism stops and catabolism begins.
    The body switches gears hormonally and tries to maintain fat, a non active tissue that stores energy, by burning lean mass, an active tissue that uses calories.
    So in essence fat mass starts to stay the same while lean mass drops.
    You can see how this can extend your dietary lifestyle right?

Eating at or below BMR with intentions to eat back calories from working out is a convoluted way of thinking.
    We should be eating the proper amount of nutrients first, then creating a deficit with our workouts!
    That way if you miss a workout, you still have the proper nutrients in your system.
    Youll actually have more energy eating right and sleeping right than if you jumped into a VLCD.
    This has been proven!

3) Body Fat%
    So many people dont really know what their body fat% is.
    I'm shocked every time I ask a member and they dont have a clue!
    Some people dont even know what a safe BF% should be!

Athletes (6-13% for men, 16-20% for women)
    Fitness (14-17% for men, 21-24% for women)
    Acceptable (18-25% for men, 25-31% for women)
    Obese (25%+ for men, 32%+ for women)

A good way to diet correctly is to set a body fat% goal as opposed to a weight goal.
    The human body fluctuates up to 5lbs on average daily!
    That would drive any person crazy who likes jumping on the scale every 30 mins!
    Measuring body fat is a more sane approach to the diet.
    Expecting a 2-5% change in a month is certainly acceptable in the lower ranges.
    In the higher ranges it really depends on your BF%, macronutrients and workout routine.
    An interesting paper written by Martin Berkhan, creator of www.LeanGains.com talks about the amount of fat the human body can burn in a day. After reading it I started working out 3 times a week and had better results than working out 5 days a week.
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=160054937436250

Understanding body fat and how you lose it will certainly keep you from hopping on the scale every day and probably have you running up to GNC for a handy set of calipers $20.

So now that I have given you the 3 most important numbers to always know while dieting, i'll give you a good source to figure all this information out on your own.
    This was the first source I used to help myself and countless others to lose weight.
    Once you have this link you can keep using it as you drop weight and body fat to recalculate your numbers.
    Remember that as lean mass rises and fat mass drops, youll have different nutritional needs!

To truly benefit from a FAT BURNING program you will need to have some type of resistance training.
    If you are not lifting weights or doing body weight workouts, you will have a very hard time maintaining lean mass while in a caloric deficit.
    I always suggest for gym goers, the Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength programs.
    Both teach basic compound moves and can help catapult your strength.
    I'm sure you can find many other lifting programs but do keep in mind, if you lift Minnie Mouse dumbbells youll have Minnie Mouse muscles. =D

Cardio is great for accelerated fat loss but if you are overweight or obese I would only recommend a brisk walk.
    Every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back.
    Once you get down to an acceptable BF level then run to your hearts content.

So here is the link.
    Use it in good health!

visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The Military BF calc is accurate up to about 2%.
    This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR.
    This % is only because MFP wont allow single %.

For more fine tuned macronutrients.....
    1g Protein per lean body mass or total goal weight.
    .35-.60g Fat per LBM or total goal weight.

Most of the time these numbers are close to 30% of total daily cals.
  • shaunanewth1
    Options
    Thank you for your replys. In relation to: "The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis.
    This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR. " could you explain this in simple terms as i am finding the terminology very confusing? If I was to work out for one hour every day I only eat an extra 200 calories to the 1800 BMR?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replys. In relation to: "The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis.
    This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR. " could you explain this in simple terms as i am finding the terminology very confusing? If I was to work out for one hour every day I only eat an extra 200 calories to the 1800 BMR?

Honestly I found it quite confusing too and I understand this stuff.

Plus, none of these numbers are going to be exact. Everything here is an estimate, based on averages and should be used as a guide. Its like a starting point, try it for several weeks (not just one or two) and adjust up or downwards as needed. Although keep in mind that if you find you need to adjust drastically downwards, there is likely a problem somewhere else, like underestimating food or over estimating calories burned during exercise.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melzie98
    melzie98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This guy is my guru on BMR and TDEE. He is also on the forum topics

I'll hand you the tools for a successful and sustainable diet that you can use and manipulate to achieve your goals.
    If you are looking to lose weight, you just eat the calories given by doing the simple math and following the directions on the page.
    If you are looking to maintain weight, you add 20% to the number given and youll know approximately what your TDEE is.
    The link is at the bottom of this grand post!

I've said it several times here on this forum and i'll say it again and again:

True dieting needs the knowledge of 3 very important numbers.

1) TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    This is the amount of calories you burn all day.
    From before you wake up in the morning and pee to the time you lay your head down at night to sleep and into the night.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a post on the forum or on someones Diary "Ugh! I feel sooo guilty because I went over calories today!" when the person went over a few cals over a 40% cut from TDEE.

Knowing TDEE allows you to understand that anything above TDEE is a surplus and you will "eventually" gain weight.
    Anything at TDEE you maintain weight.
    Anything below TDEE you lose weight to an extent. (see BMR)

2) BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate or RMR Resting Metabolic Rate.
    If you were in a coma and in the hospital, the doctors would feed you your BMR in calories.
    This ensures you have enough nutrients for vital organs to function.
    http://www.brighthubeducation.com/science-homework-help/107443-ten-essential-organs-in-the-human-body/
    This is just a small list of vital organs in the human body.
    Eating at BMR and staying in bed should maintain things as long as you do nothing at all.
    Most people who start using MFP dont really understand the importance of this BMR number.
    They jump in with both feet thinking "I'm going to lose soooooo much weight and be fantastic!"
    What they dont understand is by not eating back calories from working out, they are netting below BMR.
    The only people who should be eating below BMR are folks who have had Gastric Bypass, 500-700 cals/day, or people who are morbidly obese and only for an extremely short time and only prescribed by their "Nutritionist".

Most people who eat at or below BMR will lose weight for a short time.
    20-50% of most weight lost on a Very Low Calorie Diet is from Lean Mass.
    This is the opposite of true dieting.
    Most people who diet want to have better looking bodies and live a healthy life.
    They want to reduce fat mass and raise lean mass.
    Eating at BMR or lower actually maintains fat mass while dropping lean mass.

If the body does not get enough energy from calories in, it will seek ways to slow itself down.
    Leptin levels drop, cortisol levels rise.
    Anabolism stops and catabolism begins.
    The body switches gears hormonally and tries to maintain fat, a non active tissue that stores energy, by burning lean mass, an active tissue that uses calories.
    So in essence fat mass starts to stay the same while lean mass drops.
    You can see how this can extend your dietary lifestyle right?

Eating at or below BMR with intentions to eat back calories from working out is a convoluted way of thinking.
    We should be eating the proper amount of nutrients first, then creating a deficit with our workouts!
    That way if you miss a workout, you still have the proper nutrients in your system.
    Youll actually have more energy eating right and sleeping right than if you jumped into a VLCD.
    This has been proven!

3) Body Fat%
    So many people dont really know what their body fat% is.
    I'm shocked every time I ask a member and they dont have a clue!
    Some people dont even know what a safe BF% should be!

Athletes (6-13% for men, 16-20% for women)
    Fitness (14-17% for men, 21-24% for women)
    Acceptable (18-25% for men, 25-31% for women)
    Obese (25%+ for men, 32%+ for women)

A good way to diet correctly is to set a body fat% goal as opposed to a weight goal.
    The human body fluctuates up to 5lbs on average daily!
    That would drive any person crazy who likes jumping on the scale every 30 mins!
    Measuring body fat is a more sane approach to the diet.
    Expecting a 2-5% change in a month is certainly acceptable in the lower ranges.
    In the higher ranges it really depends on your BF%, macronutrients and workout routine.
    An interesting paper written by Martin Berkhan, creator of www.LeanGains.com talks about the amount of fat the human body can burn in a day. After reading it I started working out 3 times a week and had better results than working out 5 days a week.
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=160054937436250

Understanding body fat and how you lose it will certainly keep you from hopping on the scale every day and probably have you running up to GNC for a handy set of calipers $20.

So now that I have given you the 3 most important numbers to always know while dieting, i'll give you a good source to figure all this information out on your own.
    This was the first source I used to help myself and countless others to lose weight.
    Once you have this link you can keep using it as you drop weight and body fat to recalculate your numbers.
    Remember that as lean mass rises and fat mass drops, youll have different nutritional needs!

To truly benefit from a FAT BURNING program you will need to have some type of resistance training.
    If you are not lifting weights or doing body weight workouts, you will have a very hard time maintaining lean mass while in a caloric deficit.
    I always suggest for gym goers, the Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength programs.
    Both teach basic compound moves and can help catapult your strength.
    I'm sure you can find many other lifting programs but do keep in mind, if you lift Minnie Mouse dumbbells youll have Minnie Mouse muscles. =D

Cardio is great for accelerated fat loss but if you are overweight or obese I would only recommend a brisk walk.
    Every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back.
    Once you get down to an acceptable BF level then run to your hearts content.

So here is the link.
    Use it in good health!

visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The Military BF calc is accurate up to about 2%.
    This % is only because MFP wont allow single %.

For more fine tuned macronutrients.....
    1g Protein per lean body mass or total goal weight.
    .35-.60g Fat per LBM or total goal weight.

Most of the time these numbers are close to 30% of total daily cals.

Thank you! I am just now starting to pay attention to my macros and my TDEE, so this helped a lot. I reset my goals on MFP with these numbers. They were off a bit.