Having Trouble Completing workout

Options
Hello All,

I recently started working out yesterday and I am really unhappy with my cardio. I can only do about 15 minutes on the elliptical before I want to or have to quit. I was wondering if anyone had any beginner tips or workout ideas for me. I have access to treadmills stationary bikes and elipticals. I just get bored very fast or so out of breath. I am 19 and starting weight is 241 lbs. If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great. Thanks! I have also been doing crunches and squats too as a cool down/ strength training after my cardio.

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    have you tried the stationary bike?
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember being there all too well. I could only do 5 minutes at first on my elliptical, thought it would kill me. Just try upping it by a minute a day, before long 15 minutes becomes 1/2 an hour becomes an hour.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont blame you. i hate the elliptical. of the things you have access to, i'd go for the treadmill.

complexes are also fun ideas for cardio. i personally like the tumminello complex and the cosgrove complex located here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

if you're just wanting to quit because you get out of breath, well slow down for a bit to catch your breath and then suck it up princess and keep going. things only get easier if you dont quit doing them
  • When I started I was at 262 and doing the elliptical. It was the same thing. Just push as far as you can. I also found doing the C25K app helped keep me pushing through and slowly built up my stamina. I just did each week twice. Once I had my stamina built up I started doing other workouts and just started P90X3 last night! You CAN do this, just keep pushing.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    15 is better than 0! Do what you can and add time each day until you are doing what you feel you should be doing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I recently started working out yesterday and I am really unhappy with my cardio. I can only do about 15 minutes on the elliptical before I want to or have to quit. I was wondering if anyone had any beginner tips or workout ideas for me. I have access to treadmills stationary bikes and elipticals. I just get bored very fast or so out of breath. I am 19 and starting weight is 241 lbs. If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great. Thanks! I have also been doing crunches and squats too as a cool down/ strength training after my cardio.

I find cardio equipment very tedious, even while watching tv and stuff.
    One thing I find that gets me through is to do intervals. I break down my workout into short time intervals, like a 5 minute warm up. 5 2 minute harder interval with a 2 minute shorter interval and a 5 minute cool down. Counting down the seconds until the next interval seems to take my mind off of that remaining 15 minutes.
    You don't have to go super hard, just change intensity or incline, whatever. Plus, the easier interval is nice. If you find it really hard, make the recovery interval longer.

Aside from that I prefer to get outside.

Edited to clarify -
    if all you can physically do is 15 then that is fine. You can keep working at it until you can increase. Or you can try lower intensity to see if you can go longer. My suggestion above was for boredom.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    15 minutes is better than nothing and you don't want to hurt yourself or burn out so fast you end up hating every second of it. Maybe start with 15 minutes a day for a week, then 20 minutes a day the next week, etc. For the boredom, maybe try jogging outside (if it's not too cold where you are), or looking up Zumba videos on YouTube- some people have consolidated short videos and created 30+ minute workouts. Just keep trying things until you find something you like, and don't beat yourself up if you can't do 30 minutes every day yet- you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising after not doing so for many years, I could only do 5 minutes on the elliptical. I was so frustrated and embarrassed but the man on the machine next to me said "keep trying, don't give up" and that made all the difference to me. It took me 4 months to work up to 20 minutes. That was 15 years ago. Keep trying, don't give up.
  • body_in_progress
    body_in_progress Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Heya,

I think we have all been there, but don't quit, it does get easier.

A few tips I find helpful are listening to upbeat music. You could start by telling yourself to keep at it for at least 4 or so songs to listen to, then maybe every Monday up it by one song. Time will pass all too easy if you keep it upbeat and fun.

Another thing I find helpful on the bike is to read. Reading makes the time pass by so fast as you are concentrating on the book rather than how long you have been riding!

Once you get a bit more fit, you might find that changing it up a bit works as well. I like to just pace myself for 45seconds then go as hard as I can for 30seconds then back to pacing for 45seconds etc. I can't quite do this on the bike yet but the treadmill and cross trainer are great for it!

Trust me, I have been where you are and it will get easier, just stick to it and think of the future and how great you are going to look! I hope the above is helpful :) Good luck!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Boredom is just a fact, on cardio machines. Consider tv, audiobooks, guided audio workouts, music, reading, whatever else you can think of.

But getting too out of breath doesn't have to happen. Do a little googling on 'perceived exertion' or get a heart rate monitor. You don't need to exercise at a level that is uncomfortably intense. Slow down, lower the resistance. You shouldn't be unable to speak in short sentences, you should be unable to sing a song.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build yourself up. Do you have access to gym classes? Like Zumba, Body Step, Spin or even a circuit class? Those last between 45-60 mins and go by really quick! They're lots of fun as well.

If you don't then maybe do 10 mins on the elliptical, 10 mins on the stationary bike and 10 mins on the treadmill. Have some pumped up songs on your phone/mp3 player to listen to. Even bring a magazine or a book if you're getting bored. Better yet, go outside and walk.

Good luck!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I seriously could not do two minutes on the elliptical a few years ago. I was embarrassed to admit that but I did and a friend suggested I do 2 minutes, wait 5 minutes and then do 2 minutes more each morning and then again at night. Next day do 3 intervals in the morning and again at night. After that shoot for adding 15 secs each interval. It worked. I approach all new things like that now. Little steps.
  • CaseG710
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will try interval workouts on the treadmill. It seems like it would be a good thing to start with and less repetitive. (: All of your support is amazing! Also feel free to add me as a friend I would love to have and give the support also!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have some good news. First, cardio can improve pretty quickly, especially if you stick with it. If you're equipment has the heart rate monitor handles or if you have your own heart rate monitor, you should see steady improvement. Second, you don't have to do all of the same exercise. 10 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes on the tread mill is just as good as 20 minutes on one. You can even do them during different times if you like. Maybe do 10 minutes of cardio at the gym and do a 10-15 minute walk during the day. Third, you're young. It's a lot easier to get started now than it will be when you get older. Best of luck!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    you are doing great- my topic would have been 'trouble beginning workout'!
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    embrace your 15 and make it 20 tomorrow or next week. It is 15 because you are just starting. You have to earn your way to those longer sessions. Also, your body needs to adjust to the increasing exercise. If one day you felt full of energy and ran for an hour, without being properly trained, you'll likely end up with foot problems, shin splints or something. But truly, find the cardio you hate the least (joke) or even try to find one that you like, a sport maybe?

Don't let the numbers be a cancer to your progress. Embrace your progress. In the beginning, progress comes in minutes gained. If you let it get you down now, you'll never get the rewards.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hi, you're doing good at 15 min. I started the elliptical after I ran my first 5k and could only do 12 min. Beautiful horse :wink:
  • KrisMariex
    Options
    Hey there. I'm 19 also, but I weigh about 10-15 pounds more than you. I don't go to the gym (had to get rid of the gym membership). But, I do own a treadmill and I find that very easy to use. I consider myself a beginner also. I'm going on it 4-5 times a week for about a 30-40 minute period. I work up a sweat and feel better. Personally, I would try the treadmill and walk for 20-30 minutes. I tried the stationary bike and elliptical when I used to go to a gym and just find them as extra stuff to do. What I tend to do on my treadmill is have my head up, close my eyes every so often, and listen to some upbeat music. I only close my eyes so I'm not constantly looking at the time, wishing for the half hour to be over. You don't have to be at running speed, but just enough so its slightly hard to talk. But, if you think the elliptical works for you, keep doing what you are doing! Do a week of 15 minutes per session, then the next up it to 20 minutes, and so on until you are at a time where you feel comfortable. :smile: But only you can decide on what's good for you and your body! Congrats on deciding to become healthier and exercise! Add me if you need any motivation, support, or just need a friend! Good luck!! :smile: :happy:
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    dont blame you. i hate the elliptical. of the things you have access to, i'd go for the treadmill.

complexes are also fun ideas for cardio. i personally like the tumminello complex and the cosgrove complex located here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

if you're just wanting to quit because you get out of breath, well slow down for a bit to catch your breath and then suck it up princess and keep going. things only get easier if you dont quit doing them

i checked out the link i have been looking for something like that!! thanks!!!
  • ahashier
    Options
    I was right there with you, I think we all were. It gets better each day. If you keep at it you'll start to love it. If I'm having a lazy day and go on cardio equipment i put on a 30 minute tv show and make it my goal to finish the show and then i can quit. When I first started I would try to run through the commercials and walk through the show. I don't think I could get through the first commercial when I started and now I can run through the whole 30 minutes.