Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    So many egg yolks going in the garbage :sad:

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

This.

Posters, please re-evaluate your goals.
    Make sure that you have not picked too aggressive of a goal (ie 2lbs per week when you have less than 30lbs to lose). If your goal is too aggressive, youll end up with a lower calorie goal. It may be possible for you to lose on a higher goal (for example 1500 calories). However, if you chose not to re-evaluate, eat your exercise calories back since MFP builds in a deficit with just food. Also, more than likely, you aren't sedentary but lightly active

This way, you can stop wasting the yolks!

(The you's above are general and not aimed towards any one person)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

This.

Posters, please re-evaluate your goals.
    Make sure that you have not picked too aggressive of a goal (ie 2lbs per week when you have less than 30lbs to lose). If your goal is too aggressive, youll end up with a lower calorie goal. It may be possible for you to lose on a higher goal (for example 1500 calories). However, if you chose not to re-evaluate, eat your exercise calories back since MFP builds in a deficit with just food. Also, more than likely, you aren't sedentary but lightly active

This way, you can stop wasting the yolks!

(The you's above are general and not aimed towards any one person)

I never wasted the yolks. I used to sometimes add extra egg whites along with my whole eggs to up my protein, just how i balanced my macros. I always fed the yolks to the dogs, they loved them and made their coat shiny.

But I agree with the rest.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do 4 egg whites, 1/8 cheese of mozzarella and onions and mushrooms, but I have 1260 calories.

Throwing away egg yolk and adding cheese :sad:
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    OMG - what's the point in eating an egg without the yolk, it's the very bestest part!!

I regularly eat a two egg omelette with ham, tomato and low-fat cheese. So filling that I'll eat it for a late'ish brekky, and I'm pretty much full until dinner.

Yummmmmmmmmo!!
  • nicole595
    nicole595 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes.....love omelettes
    1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    veggies-lots-sautéed
    very small amount of goat or feta or parmesan cheese-high flavour

I never thought of adding feta- I always used regular cheese cause that's what mama did but that sounds delicious!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, no point in throwing out half the egg.....I love omlettes, I have 2 whole eggs and lots of veggies.

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I do 4 egg whites, 1/8 cheese of mozzarella and onions and mushrooms, but I have 1260 calories.

Does it matter what you do with the yolk? I mean the cholesterol in the yolk is much more then the cheese. What if the people with egg whites, just buy the egg whites in a box? I'm just saying you don't know if they are really wasting egg yolk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my breakfast is usually 700 cals…I should probably back out of this one...
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Two eggs. Don't throw the yolk out, it's healthy and good!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I saute brocolli and mushrooms, add 2 scrambled eggs and it turns into a fritata in the pan. Sprinkle some pepper flakes on and yummers.:smile:
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Some times when I hard boil them I just want to eat the yolk but I'd feel wasteful so I eat it all anyways.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    I like a under 200cal breakfast bagel:
    A 100% whole wheat mini bagel
    1 egg white with 2 mini sweet peppers chopped into it
    (use a quarter tbsp of butter or earth balance to cook eggs and peppers)
    And slice of avacado (1/8 of avacado)
    Spinach leaves
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Does it matter what you do with the yolk? I mean the cholesterol in the yolk is much more then the cheese. What if the people with egg whites, just buy the egg whites in a box? I'm just saying you don't know if they are really wasting egg yolk.

Regarding the cholesterol in egg yolks - the idea that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol levels has been pretty thoroughly debunked quite some time ago. The consensus is that 2/3 of the population experience zero blood cholesterol elevation from eating eggs, and the other 1/3 experience equal elevations of HDL and LDL, keeping the ratio (which is what's actually important) the same.

Oh, and the yolks contain 13 essential nutrients, including choline, folate, A, D, B-13, and iron.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852882
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19906248
    http://advances.nutrition.org/content/3/5/711.full
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Regarding the cholesterol in egg yolks - the idea that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol levels has been pretty thoroughly debunked quite some time ago. The consensus is that 2/3 of the population experience zero blood cholesterol elevation from eating eggs, and the other 1/3 experience equal elevations of HDL and LDL, keeping the ratio (which is what's actually important) the same.

Oh, and the yolks contain 13 essential nutrients, including choline, folate, A, D, B-13, and iron.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852882
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19906248
    http://advances.nutrition.org/content/3/5/711.full

:flowerforyou: yes, indeed. Yolks are a wonderful source of nutrients. :smooched:
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I use 1 whole egg and 2 whites
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use one egg white and one whole egg.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Do you ever have omelettes? If so, how many eggs/egg whites do you use? Thanks!!

I use 3/4 c of Egg Beaters,which is the equivalent to 9 whites, I believe. 75 calories, all protein.
    I add fat free cheddar cheese,sliced ham, mushrooms, and avocado and salsa. HUGE omelette
  • Newtyshoes
    Options
    2 whole eggs, a little ham, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion and feta cheese - yum!

I don't see the point of eating just the egg whites. Sure you save calories, but the yolks make eggs taste good. Besides, the yolks are good for you too.

I eat eggs a couple eggs about 3 or 4 times a week. My bad cholesterol is a little high but my good cholesterol, as my Dr. says is "wow, off the charts!"
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I sometimes make an omelette like my mum used to.

Fry off some potato, bacon/ham and onion are optional but I love them, then when the potato is looking a little crispy add some vegetables, anything really, broccoli, celery, capsicum, beans, whatever you have that you need to eat and then when they are about cooked add an egg or three, mixed in with some milk and white pepper.

Serve over toast is best but with all the trimmings it can be a little calorie rich for someone on only 1200cals. Still super delicious!
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    I sometimes make an omelette like my mum used to.

Fry off some potato, bacon/ham and onion are optional but I love them, then when the potato is looking a little crispy add some vegetables, anything really, broccoli, celery, capsicum, beans, whatever you have that you need to eat and then when they are about cooked add an egg or three, mixed in with some milk and white pepper.

Serve over toast is best but with all the trimmings it can be a little calorie rich for someone on only 1200cals. Still super delicious!

I love it when people say "capsicum" instead of "pepper". :happy: