Any other Bariatric Patients out there?

Options
Hello All,
I am looking to see if anyone else has gone through a similar ordeal as I have, could use some support on here from people who have had similar experience and understand what we are going through.
I had Bariatric Sleeve surgery back on Nov. 1 2012. Surgery went well. I started my journey at 336lbs (I am 5ft 10''), I had to loose 21 lbs for insurance reasons and after the liver reduction diet I went into surgery weighing 313 lbs. Now a little more than a year later I am at 247lbs and stuck. I have a problem with Tracking, I will be good with it for a few days and then slack on it, so that is what I am currently working on as well as getting into a more routine work out schedule. For now I am unable to go to a gym or personal trainer so I am working out at home but it is proving difficult. I would like to loose another 50-60lbs before I start to maintain.
Going through a similar situation or have any advice, friend me and lets go through this together!

Replies

• bbhofmann
    bbhofmann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have started the bariatric process. Have been going to all the many appointments.... have just started tracking on my fitness pal for the past couple of weeks... don't want to post my stats here, would consider e-mailing personally if you want.... not ready to come out on that in an open forum,,, yet... maybe at some point. Embarassed really.... I to have always struggled with the journaling. I've been overweight obese for almost my entire life and have tried almost every diet out there.... I believe the biggest part of my problems are emotional eating and of course moderation. I would love to chat with you and hopefully we can help each other on this journey to better health...
  • tadams6652
    tadams6652 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to get over the embarrassment. You have taken the biggest step, by identifying that you want to really lose weight. I had the surgery in 2004 and it has been a struggle. I was so overweight, that the doctor would not even schedule my surgery until I lost at least 40 pounds. I joined My Fitness Pal, because since I’ve had my surgery I’ve gained 35 pounds, plus I’ve gotten to my goal weight. I wanted the surgery to do all the work, but I realize now I have to work some on my own.
  • rlpohl
    rlpohl Posts: 5
    Options
    I was embarrassed too at first until I went to my first group meeting at my surgery center and saw that there really are other people out there in a similar situation. I felt for me, that once I was able to say it out loud and in writing it became real and I felt more accountable for it. Just know that no one here is judging you for it, we have all been there.

I also have struggled with gaining weight back, it has been my biggest fear. The lowest I have gotten since surgery is 242 and I am currently at 250 I had gained 10lbs back and nearly had a heart attack while on the scale when it read 252. I was like Nope I can't gain I never even hit my goal. So I got my *kitten* in gear and have been working to keep going down. It is harder now since I am a year out from surgery but I realize I must keep at it or I will be right back to where I started.

tadams6652 congrats on getting to your goal weight, it must be a fantastic feeling to now that you did it!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I had sleeve surgery a little over a year ago and made goal just recently. I lost a total of 158 lbs from my highest weight (about 2 years). HW: 302, SW: 272 CW: 144. I think the biggest reason behind my success is using MFP EVERYDAY and logging everything. I also have a food scale and use it all the time. I have not been low carb since about six months out- I eat what I want IN GENERAL but limit carbs slightly (no hamburger bun, skip the white potato, spaghetti squash in place of pasta, etc.) I did have a bit of trouble staying away from cookies and candy over the holidays, but thankfully still lost about 5 pounds between TG and Christmas. I am doing the Whole30 right now, trying to detox from the holiday sugar. Anyway, feel free to friend me if you like (I accept any and all FR).

:heart: Kendra
  • Sleeved114
    Sleeved114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too just started the bariatric process having my sleeve done 1/14/14. It is too early for me to share many experiences yet but I know that the decision to finally have the surgery took about 15 years in the making. I wanted to explore all my other options first and I did indeed lose weight but only to gain it all back plus bonus pounds. That landed me at the highest weight I have ever been and a candidate for surgery. My recovery has been going very smoothly and I am following the doctor's orders to a T.
    Good luck with your journey and I am wishing you much success.
  • descheppers
    Options
    Hi! I too am having Bariatric surgery! currently waiting on my insurance approval. I HATE logging and tracking my food! Feel free to add me as a friend! I'll go thru the journey with you!

Pam
  • DerryJohn
    Options
    I had my sleeve surgery last year and lost 50 lbs. I big struggle for me was snacking. I joined myfitnesspal today to keep track of everything i eat. i believe eating properly is a huge reason for success you can do it!
  • Sleeved114
    Sleeved114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello. Just wanted to ask if you have had the surgery yet and how it went for you. Hope you are recovering nicely without any complications. Are you getting used to your new stomach? I am still in the getting used to it stage at this time. But I am happy with my weight loss so far and hope to get some more off in my second month.
    You can "friend" me if you like.
  • kayzeekat
    kayzeekat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having my surgery on the 19th of August and so excited. The first few days if the pre -op diet were hard but am on my sixth day and is getting easier. Kind of freaking out as two weeks prior to having to start the pre-op diet we went on vacation and I gained weight....I am afraid if I do not loose enough that it may be postponed....I am sticking to the lower end of the 800-1000 cals a day, no carbs and low fat....and exercising...any one else have this issue???
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know that there are MFP forums just for gastric sleevers. The group is wonderfully supportive with lots of great advice and experience. These two groups are very active: VSGers and Gastric ByPass/VSG/LapBand
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I had VSG in March of 2013 after losing 70 pounds on my own. I lost an additional 50 pounds after surgery and have been in maintenance for nearly a YEAR now with 80 more pounds still go go! I'm currently living in North Africa and trying to track food is a nightmare here so I just try to follow my good sense with diet and get some exercise in every day.

Even if I never lost another pound and just stayed in maintainence, I'd consider myself a sleeve success story because losing 120 pounds and maintaining for a year is something that I've NEVER been able to do on my own before.... BUT I'm not satisfied where I am and want to lose more weight. It's a struggle just like everyone who is not sleeved struggles to lose weight, but armed with my sleeve, I feel that it's actually attainable for me...

BEST WISHES to you!