Stretch marks in teenagers

Options
Hey there:)
I have stretch marks on my hips, arms and thighs and am trying to lose weight for a creative arts trip to Austria in July. I am REALLY self-conscious and want to wear a bikini with all my friends for once. I don't think it was my fault I got the stretch marks (puberty played a massive role) but I want to know if anyone has any tips about dealing with them whilst losing weight. Any ideas are welcome, but covering them up just isn't an option for me.

Danke schön :)

Replies

• peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't much consolation now, but I wanted to let you know that I too had stretch marks on my hips and thighs from my body changes during puberty and they faded to the point where you can hardly even see them as I grew older. I am 29 years old now and I can only see those old stretch marks if I look closely. I remember when I was younger and they were darker that tanning or using self tanner helped diminish their appearance so you might try that. Have fun on your trip!
  • I head that Baby Oil is good for them but I'm not to sure, it' only what I've heard:/
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    They're scars from skin stretching and they'll always be there. Over time they fade to silver lines but there's nothing you can do to make them go away once they're there.
  • Thank you so much!
    Self-tanning won't help me as I am mixed-race and will only make me darker! It was a nice suggestion though so thank you :)
  • Thank you :) The only problem though is that skinny people at school take the mick (only because they've starved themselves through puberty) but it's just annoying :L I am a little chunky, I'll admit, but it's only because I eat well and enjoy it too.
  • I've tried Bio Oil and it kinda helped but THEY'RE STILL THERE :L
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I had bad stretch marks after puberty, despite being very skinny in my teens and twenties. They do fade with time, if that is any consolation. First the angry red colour fades, and then mine disappeared entirely in my mid twenties.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I got wicked stretchmarks during puberty. My hips, breasts, upper thighs, and the backs of my knees all got them. You are definitely not alone when it comes to puberty doing a number on your skin. I'm 28 now and the stretch marks from my early teens are hardly visible, they're maybe one or two shades different from the skin surrounding them. So time does help them to fade.

As for a faster solution I've heard a great deal of praise for biotin/BioOil, vitamin E oil, coconut oil (in it's room temperature form this is actually more of a solid than a liquid), and cocoa butter. I've used BioOil with good results as well as virgin coconut oil, but both products can be expensive. I used them twice daily as a moisturizer and they helped to fade my stretchmarks some and keep the skin moisturized to prevent/limit any further from happening.

Also staying very hydrated helps your skin in general. I've heard people here mention using tanning lotion to help the skin get an all-over color that will help hide stretchmarks, but I've never personally tried it. I hope you find something that will help with your confidence so that you'll better enjoy your trip, OP. Maybe also look into swimsuits that cover a bit more so that you have less to worry about? I would wear boyshort bottoms with my swimsuit tops as a teen since my hips had the worst of my tiger stripes. :)

Edited because my stupid thumb hit 'Post' before I was done. Yay technology!
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've tried Bio Oil and it kinda helped but THEY'RE STILL THERE :L

Have you tried buying vitamin E capsules and piercing them, or using coconut oil and massaging it onto your stretchmarks? I'm sorry BioOil did of work as well as hoped.

Even if moisturizing doesn't diminish the marks like you'd want it will help to prevent them at least somewhat in the future.
  • WithASmile19
    Options
    Hi there! I totally agree with you. I have dealt with stretch marks when I first started puberty. My doctor told me that stretch marks are "genetic". Unfortunately, the only way to deal with them is coco butter. I love this so much. Try using any product that has Shea Butter and Coco butter. Also, if the time period for your trip is approaching, buy a high waist bikini. They cover up your trouble areas. Hopes this helps.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    late post but oh well ! I too got stretch marks through puberty on my inner thighs and hips. Just this week I was talking about it to my mom and she suggested I try coconut oil so I've been massaging that on those areas twice a day. I'm hoping it works to fade them some but at the very least just prevent new ones from coming *fingers crossed*
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, they are scars and will not go away. They will fade and smooth out over time, though. Don't let it worry you. Nearly everyone gets them, even those little skinny people. It's completely common.
  • savannahribeiro
    savannahribeiro Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had those as well when I was 15-17 ---- on the thighs and breasts mostly. I found mine faded away quite quickly once I started exercising.
    Vitamin E oil (I am not a Dermatologist, so please take this well salted) is supposed to help smooth out and diminish acne scarring and general scars, I do believe.
    Other than that, they may just fade over time
    I have very pale skin so I know more than most the pain of blemishes on the skin. Trust me, they are most obvious to you; most people may not see them.
    Hope this helps!
    Enjoy your trip!! :)