How do you strengthen your will power???

Options
Food is such a weakness for me. I'm an emotional eater, and also every now and then I have the tendency to binge. I want to get more control over myself and food. I'm one of those people who feel deprived when I try to lose weight, or because I know I shouldn't eat it, I want it more. HELP!!!!

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Thats a hard one to overcome...most books on the topic will tell you to identify those emotional triggers that make you eat. Others reccomend not denying at all but moderating..usually through some sort of cheat day. I think there is merit to both.

I have never found any other formula other than time that works.. being persistent and eventually you really do crave those items less. The beauty of it is when you do indulge it becomes a special experience againm the way it should be.

I know that really doesnt offer you any advice this was more to say I understand your issues as im sure do a lot of other folks around here.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Day by day, hour by hour. Right now I'm working under 15 minutes at a time. Along with taking in every positive thing I can on the topic. TV shows, inspirational sayings, success stories.

Also... don't deprive yourself of anything but amount.
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand your frustration!
    I know it's sometimes hard to fight off a craving, but I find, if I drink a big glass of water and start doing something small (sweeping, filling dishwasher, checking the mailbox, etc), my brain usually tends to forget about my stomach.
    Easier said than done in a lot of instances, but, it's bailed me out on quite a few occasions!

My weakness is after I've made room for a little cheat, then I take it too far. I can't allow myself a tiny bag of chips without then craving a coke to go with it! It's downhill from there, so unfortunately, I have to deny myself all "cheats" for utter fear of making them into larger ones.
    I've also found that if I substitute a craving for a cup of coffee or hot cocoa, I don't feel as bad about my choice.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    There's a great book "the Thin Commandments Diet" that taught me that strategy is stronger than will power.......make plans to eat properly and avoid the people, places, and things that have caused trouble in the past......and get enough sleep:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: and drink enough water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • doglover1984
    doglover1984 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I found with my own food addiction that reading in my "bad" times of the day really helped, and moving or getting rid of your trigger foods. Because I have kids I do keep treats in the house but I try to keep them in a spot that I don't go to in my bad times. I find it is about starting a different habit other then eating. Like I said I read, and usually about bettering myself or exercise. My tricky time is when my daughter goes for a nap because it is just me in the house because the boys are at school, so now instead of binge eating and feeling tired after, I read, or clean or lay on the couch and have some me time. It wont happen over night. I found a book that really helped me was Conquer Your Food Addiction by Caryl Ehrlich, I don't follow everything in the book but it does give you some good tools to keep you on track. Good luck you can do it, feel free to contact me if you need to .
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I made a visual poster (just an 8 1/2x 11 sheet of paper) that I cut phrases and words out of magazines to put on the fridge. It inspires me to remember that food is my fuel so I make better choices. This seems to work well for me. Things like "activate your energy," "healthy," "powerful," just things that trigger my mind to remember my goal. It gets much easier as you go along- I lost about 40 pounds and kept about 20 of them off before I found MFP so now just coming here and logging helps also. You can do this!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Food is such a weakness for me. I'm an emotional eater, and also every now and then I have the tendency to binge. I want to get more control over myself and food. I'm one of those people who feel deprived when I try to lose weight, or because I know I shouldn't eat it, I want it more. HELP!!!!

Rather than depriving yourself, try to incorporate small amounts of the foods you crave into your total calories for the day. If you continue to deprive yourself, you'll fail at your eating goals and end up bingeing when you do finally give in. Remember, you are trying to find a balance of healthy eating, not a deprivation lifestyle. You will be miserable if you stay on that path. It's perfectly okay to eat some foods you like if you keep the servings small and mix in some healthy options, and keep your total calories down.
  • jewell614
    jewell614 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :smile: I'm so going to get that book! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • jewell614
    jewell614 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I made a visual poster (just an 8 1/2x 11 sheet of paper) that I cut phrases and words out of magazines to put on the fridge. It inspires me to remember that food is my fuel so I make better choices. This seems to work well for me. Things like "activate your energy," "healthy," "powerful," just things that trigger my mind to remember my goal. It gets much easier as you go along- I lost about 40 pounds and kept about 20 of them off before I found MFP so now just coming here and logging helps also. You can do this!

Thanks! I'm going to definitely try doing that! It's tough, but it is doable!
  • BoxerDogsMom
    BoxerDogsMom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Book a cruise - I was binge, stress and an emotions mess over the holidays as I am every year but we have a cruise in February so out come the DVD's, walking, TRACKING and I bought stickers for my calendar and I get a sticker for every day that I track and I'm looking at it all my wall. Also, my clothes are tight right now and I'm not buying new ones!! And I have a great picture of me when we went to Sturgis one year (fully clothed lol) but it is on my desk at work and I want to get back there NOW.
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from
    You will always have cravings, my weakness is chocolate anything
    When i got back on plan i made sure I stocked the house with only the healthy foods i should be eating
    I avoid going to the snack and processed food isles in the grocery store - and never shop hungry - eat or drink plenty of water b4 you head out
    Choose one day to have a treat - like a Saturday night for 1 slice of pizza or 1 cup of icecream
    If you deny yourself totally, your bound to take a fall - and if you fall, forgive yourself and get right back up on your plan
    Having good friends and supportive family members around really helps - steer clear of the food sabatours
    If you can keep a food diary, noting not just what you are consuming but how you feel that day - writing out your feelings will help you get free of them instead of eating them (for comfort, revenge or reward).
    Making a motivation binder (like scrapbooking) to keep you on track, reward your goals (i love stickers with bling!), something i learned from weight watchers years ago - can really be helpful - in it i keep my before and after pictures - clothing i would like to wear, etc. .. and yes definitely put notes, stickers, reminders on your fridge to encourage you to eat the right things, and put down those ones that will set you back.
    Good luck :-D
    Canookie