Hard times for weight loss.

Options
I started MYP in August and have done well while enjoying it. My son got a head injury on Nov. 22nd. I have held it together pretty well until now but he is really struggling and so I am not doing so well lately. I don't want to log and all I do want to do is eat chocolate and drink wine. Anyone have any good things to tell myself in place of the fearful, destructive things? I could use a good quote or two. Thanks.

Replies

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie & say "I know how you feel", because I don't. I can only imagine what you are going through. I speak from my experience and say that the time I spend running is my "me time"; its 30 - 40 minutes where I can focus on me and me alone, let my mind wander, think of whatever i want to, my "de-stress" time. Is there some way you can bring in a pair of gym shoes and when he is in therapy/getting bathed/sleeping etc you can squeeze in a run or brisk walk? Think of it as your "you time". You still need to focus on YOU a little now. I totally understand about wanting to settle down with chockies & wine (bourbon or whisky for me!) but you have to keep yourself going strong, too.

Keep yourself focused. Keep yourself strong. He's gonna need you - and you need to be as strong as you can be. You have got this - Wimmin are a tough breed, ya know!

"You don't know how stong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

"When life outs you in tough situations don't say why me. Say TRY me!"
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that was really great. Your words mean alot.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Be such an amazing example of health for your family that they grow up thinking that an active nutritious approach to life is NORMAL.

:D
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Remember your son needs you and in order to be there for him you need to do this. It may feel selfish to take time to exercise or log but it will give you the energy to go on.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Be more mindful of your choices. Does drinking the wine and eating the chocolate REALLY make you feel better? Maybe temporarily but in the end it doesn't really help and you may even feel worse because you're disappointed in yourself for overindulging.

As the other poster suggested, exercise can be a major stress reliever. You'll work off nervous energy and have some "me" time to think things through or shut your brain down and concentrate on the task at hand (whichever works best for you). Also maybe think about yoga, meditation, and the like.

Plus you earn calories so if you still want that chocolate and/or wine, you've got the room in your calorie budget.

Another thought - I'm more of a boredom eater than an emotional eater (stress takes away my appetite) but I think the same principles apply. If you find you're wanting to overindulge, find something else to do. Back to exercise - that's an option. Or read a nice fun chick lit book to take your mind of it. Or do something mindless like computer games or crossword puzzles to pass the time.

Best wishes for your son's recovery!!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, I don't have any motivational quotes that I can come up with right away, but I do want to let you know that you are in my thoughts and I hope he gets better and makes a full recovery soon.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Recognize the fact that eating chocolate and drinking wine (in excess, of course) will only add to your problems in the end. Once you understand that fact, you'll be on your way.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    well thats not actually true :flowerforyou:
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you have to take care of yourself. That is the only way you can help your son or anyone else.
  • littlelou374
    Options
    In tough times, it's easy to shut others out or not make time for a phone call or dinner with a friend. But let them – your friends and family – in. Ask for their help. Their understanding. Accept help, support, and strength. It will bolster your own. Bolster you. Which, in turn, is that much more you can give your son.

Do the best you can, eat nutritiously and log – but certainly don't beat yourself up if you miss recording some meals. All good wishes heading you and your son's way.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can't be his rock if you're struggling yourself. He needs to know that you're happy and healthy so he doesn't have to worry and can concentrate on getting better.

"The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you'll need for tomorrow."

It's also medically proven that carers (or those in more stressful situations) take longer to heal so you need to be healthy to stay well to look after your son.

He needs you right now. Keep on trucking, be that rock for him and you will be so glad you did.

And it goes without saying, everyone is here for you if you need a rant.

We're all behind you, and best wishes to your son x
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am overwhelmed. What great ideas. I came to the right place with this problem. God bless!