Anyway to make salads more appetizing??

Options
124»

Replies

• barbi_jean
    barbi_jean Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just put hot sauce on it, no dressing.
    Me too! So Yummy!
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you have a favorite salsa, use it as a topping. They are generally super low in calories.

This is an awesome idea!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Add left-over grilled Chicken or Pork if you want some low fat meats, or Avacado for richness, Add some fruits like plum or mango for sweetness, If you are looking for spiciness, I do love sweet hot pickled Jalapeno. Maybe some walnut for texture, How about an explosion of sweetness with Pomegranate seed. And experiment with Balsamic vinegar, there are some sweet nice ones I picked up from Target, and TJ maxx for $5. Just stay away from the establish brands of Salad dressings. My $.02
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    olives
    sun dried tomatoes
    walnuts
    apple
    avocado
    Mrs Balls chutney
    boiled egg
    tuna

And all the other lovely things that people have mentioned! I also thought I "hated" salad, because growing up salad = iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber. Turns out, what I "hated" were just these three things, and a salad is actually so much more - I now LOVE my lunch salads, I never use iceberg, but usually use raw spinach as my base, sometimes rocket if I'm feeling flush lol. And if you don't find a way to love it - don't eat it! It's the only way to stay on course with this!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I like squeezing fresh lemons and lime on mine instead of dressing. I also like a little drizzle of salsa verde on a bed of lettuce, black beans, tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese. Yummy!
  • LifeLight91
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat something you don't like. There are several other foods that are nutritious and delicious. Discover them. Food is meant to be enjoyed not forced down.

P.S. Lettuce really doesn't have much nutrition; it's mostly water so you're not missing out on anything magical.

That said, I LOVE salads! I eat a big one twice a day but only because I love the taste of vegetables. I only use olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a dash of salt, pepper and some dried basil.

That dressing sounds really good. I am definitely gonna try that out. Thanks!!
  • LifeLight91
    Options
    I just put hot sauce on it, no dressing.
    Me too! So Yummy!

I have never thought of doing this! Guess this is also going on my 'To-do list" with salads.
  • LifeLight91
    Options
    1) I would say the same as others if lettuce is the problem. Healthy/Salad does not necessarily mean lettuce or even leafy green. Or raw. Just mix up any veggies and healthy protein companions you like.

2) Also, cooled roasted veggies. Like roasted beets, red peppers, zucchini or eggplant. I love 'em. No lettuce needed.

3) If it is the texture try a different chop. You can buy a lot of pre-chopped items. Shredded carrots. Broccoli slaw (has no dressing. It just refers to the chop) Try julienne cut veggies. Even the leafy greens can be julienne. Julienne works really well on cabbages, such as red cabbage or napa cabbage, brussel sprouts or even endives.

4) Try herb based salads. These need little more then an acid to flavor like lemon juice, lime juice, rice vinegar or red wine vinegar. Think Tabouleh. Use Cilantro, Parsley or Mint as the leafy base. Add flavorful grains bulgur, Quinoa. Add chopped flavorful veggies and Fruit like tomatoes, cucumbers, mango, pineapple, jicama, Asian pear, apple...

Hope that helps

Thank you!! some very great ideas!
  • LifeLight91
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the wonderful ideas...

I have a lot of things I can try now which makes it way easier to pick something I will enjoy!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hummus with an olive oil based dressing on top. Good for you and so good. (Not low calorie.)

Put the salad in some kind of a wrap like a burrito, tortilla, pita. Turn the salad into a sandwich.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump!