carb questions

Options
Hi all. I'm new here, so I have loads of questions. Hope that's ok..

Can someone please tell me what percentage of your diet is considered "normal" and what is considered "low carb"?

And-- for now!- can you please give me suggestions on what would be the lowest carb actual foods .
I have noticed in the past that I do better on less than my normal carb intake and I would really like to kick this pretty quickly this time.

Thanks! By the way, I'm really enjoying my time here!

Replies

• littlebird
    littlebird Posts: 14
    Options

Can someone please tell me what percentage of your diet is considered "normal" and what is considered "low carb"?

And-- for now!- can you please give me suggestions on what would be the lowest carb actual foods .
    I have noticed in the past that I do better on less than my normal carb intake and I would really like to kick this pretty quickly this time.

• Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Well (and you'll have some different opinions) a "normal" balance is one combining 40% protein; 40% complex carbs; 20% fats. Low carb is where the percentage of carbs falls into the 15% range and current research is actually finding this to be the "healthiest" type of diet (don't ever restrict vegetables, however). Keto or cyclical ketogenic diets (CKD) are truly low-carb and are not based on the infamous "Atkins Diet." A CKD is based around fat loss and muscle preservation and relies on HIGH fat, moderate protein, and very restriced carbs. This type of diet has been shown to be very effective at preserving muscle and burning fat, however, for it to work as design you MUST follow it with a great bit of detail and precision (oh, and it's not for sedentary people). Other variations which work well are carb-cycling and the "Anabolic Diet."

As for low carb foods, eat meat and eggs! Stay away from bread and pasta (all of it). For healthy carbs consume long-grain brown rice or sweet potatoes.
  • gaylejones
    gaylejones Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to count carbs so much. It's mainly staying away from anything made with white flour. Eat whole grains. For instance, it might say wheat bread, but it needs to say whole wheat. Stay away from potatoes of all kinds, including sweet potatoes, until you are well on your way toward your goal. Then only small amounts. And no junk food. You can eat all kinds of vegetables (just beware of the starch), meat (remove fat), eggs, fresh fruits. Fresh fruits are better than juices because processing into juice changes the nutritional content. Fresh fruits take longer for the body to process. The body will burn up the energy from juices much quicker. If you eat food high in fiber your energy level will be more steady. Another thing to remember is that the longer vegetables are cooked, the more nutrients they lose and the higher in calories they are. Stir fried or steamed is better. Do not fry your meats. When I need to use oil, I use olive oil. It's good for you. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

47686.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter