Confused on Cutting

Options
Hopefully someone could please help with my issue.

Ok so ive been putting on some decent muscle lifting heavy while maintaining my current weight for the last year without really worrying too much about what ive been eating, but looking to cut down for a month of so by eating clean.
But trying to work out the correct nutritional area i need to be in has confused me.

currently :
24 years
174lb
5 ft 10

now going on my figures my BMR is 1875, and trying to figure out the TDEE and Deficit is where i am getting confused, using my heart rate monitor the time i start my workouts at the gym and when i finish it gives me a rough average of about 1300 burned per day.

with the following macros
2500 calories
250 carb
83 fat
188 pro

using that with the calories burned as the deficit im at say 1200 calories a day and myfinesspal tells me to eat more, but really eating clean wholefoods i dont think i could actually eat more without going in eating all the bad processed foods and feeling bloated.

As of the last day or so just feel like im still gaining muscle rather holding onto what i have and losing fat... :grumble:

Any advice welcome
thanks in advance

Cheers, :drinker:
Brad

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Figure wise you are there.
    1300 calories burned in a workout????
    Be careful on your cutting regime - if indeed you have gained a decent amount of muscles you want to go maximum - 10% to save them muscles. FAt loss will be slower but you will at least ensure to save them hard earned sizes you put on.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise. It is TOTAL daily energy expenditure.

At your weight, I'd probably start at around 2100-2300 cals depending on how active you are and if you do any cardio.

Min P 175g
    Min F 50g
    rest carbs

Take pics, measurements. Assess in 2 weeks and adjust if necessary.

I like the KISS principle :smile:

(you are pretty light for your height already though IMO so if you want to cut your loss should be very gradual)
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That calorie burn seems really high? If you're wearing your HRM while lifting, then the estimated calories burned it tells you are going to be totally messed up. HRMs will only accurately estimate calorie burns for steady state cardio
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just because it isn't a whole food, doesn't make it bad.
  • sahill314
    sahill314 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i would try a high fat low carb diet to put yourself into ketosis to burn your stored fat as fuel. add me sahill314
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i would try a high fat low carb diet to put yourself into ketosis to burn your stored fat as fuel. add me sahill314
    Why not just eat at caloric deficit to burn fat?
  • BradlesPortelli
    BradlesPortelli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That calorie burn seems really high? If you're wearing your HRM while lifting, then the estimated calories burned it tells you are going to be totally messed up. HRMs will only accurately estimate calorie burns for steady state cardio

when i train i keep heart rate at quite a high average, even when lifting weights as my gym is really slack in the putting plates away, so in between sets im generally stacking and racking weights, and i general follow it by doing cardio so it would be reasonable close.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

True story. Keto should only really be used in specific cases, and if you're going to be doing heavy lifting, keto is a bad idea, you need that glycogen for lifting...calorie deficit will burn the same amount of fat...

Eat at a deficit, track your macros, you DO NOT need to "eat clean"
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

True story. Keto should only really be used in specific cases, and if you're going to be doing heavy lifting, keto is a bad idea, you need that glycogen for lifting...calorie deficit will burn the same amount of fat...

Eat at a deficit, track your macros, you DO NOT need to "eat clean"

/thread