Replies

• heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No. Google durianrider.
  • sahill314
    sahill314 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    you would have to combine vegetables to make complete proteins. they lack all 20 essential amino acids which are neccessary for us to survive. it would require a lot of research on your part! I would recommend a ketogenic diet based upon your goals.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    no, not realy
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    depends on what you mean by veggies- you may want to do some research on how to eat a healthy, balanced vegan diet because it will take some planning to get the protein and essentials that you need in
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    oh-and include nuts too! that will make it easier to meet your requirements
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    seems okay. bit weird tho lol what about nuts and seeds?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    It depends. Vegan diets are veggie and fruit. You can easily eat everything you need except B-12, so if you try that diet it would be a good idea to take a B supplement. B-12 is a micro-organism that naturally lives in soil. It's in a number of non-animal foods but the most reliable way to get it is to take a vitamin.

Any diet needs protein, carbs, fats, and nutrients like iron and potassium, etc. to be healthy.

Vegans get their protein from sources like beans, legumes, nuts and seeds. When I joined MFP in April 2013 I went from almost vegetarian to vegan and have never been healthier. My doctor has given me a thumbs up. I've lost weight, my migraines disappeared, and my high cholesterol is normal now without meds. I also get plenty of protein and meet my other nutrients. I'm learning more every day and really love this diet.

Editing to add that nuts and seeds are fruits, although we don't think of them that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_(fruit)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No. Google durianrider.

Just watched his views on dairy and it's put me off it :sad: I like dairy!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Freelee the banana girl reckons it's great, but personally I would hate it. Then again, I could easily eat my body weight in chips every day, so... :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet includes all of the following: protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water

If it doesn't contain all those things (including sufficient quantities of each individual vitamin and mineral) it's not healthy. If you eat way too much of some nutrients (e.g. carbs, fat, vitamin A, iron) it is not healthy.

healthy = balanced diet (i.e. it contains all the above in the quantities that your body requires them)

unhealthy = a diet lacking in any of these, AND/OR a diet that causes you to eat way to much of any of them to the point that it causes health problems (or death, in some cases).

So this idea that's prevalent "fruit and veg is good for you" is not technically accurate. It should be "fruit and vegetables are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and make up part of a balanced diet." Going from "fruit and veg is good for you" to "therefore I'm going to live off nothing but fruit and veg" is a logic fail.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Too much fruit can be a too acidic on your stomach. A balanced diet would serve you better.
  • georgemang82
    georgemang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a vegetarian and to make life easier we have a vegetarian household and rarely do I eat meat. I have never had an issue with my health and am never low on iron etc. It absolutely is fine, just a balanced diet is needed as always :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It would be very difficult - but not impossible - to get all the nutrients you need with such a restricted intake.

What would be your reasons for doing this?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but it's a lot of work. A better diet would be one than includes nuts and seeds and other good sources of protein and fat, as well as whole grains for carbs (and protein, because a lot of whole grains are also a good source of that).
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of Vegan groups on this website - look under Groups and type vegan and that will bring them up.

Just a couple of points - while it is important to make sure you are getting a wide selection of the amino acids that go to make up a complete protein source - you do not have to combine foods to make sure they are all in every meal. That is old information. the body is capable of storing individual amino acids and using them as required - no need to combine.

Also - please do make sure you are taking a vitamin B12 supplement if you are going Vegan. This vitamin is only available from soil bacteria, which animals ingest when they graze then omnivores eat the animals and get their B12 that way. Vegans need the supplement.

You'll get more info for your questions and support in the Vegan groups from folks who have been eating that way for longer.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    So this idea that's prevalent "fruit and veg is good for you" is not technically accurate. It should be "fruit and vegetables are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and make up part of a balanced diet." Going from "fruit and veg is good for you" to "therefore I'm going to live off nothing but fruit and veg" is a logic fail.

I respectfully disagree with you about the logic fail point. I ran my diet by my doctor, who approved it as balanced.

For example, I eat some of my protein from lentils. One cup has 18 g protein (the protein of 3 eggs). There are many plants that are technically fruits and vegetables that have protein -- we just don't think of them that way. When I grew up I was only taught that protein comes from meat, eggs and dairy, but people can get protein and other nutrients from plants.

Many traditional cultures live on rice, lentils and other beans and legumes, with vegetables, and don't have the heart disease and other illnesses that many people get eating a western diet heavy with dairy and meat. So it is possible to eat a healthy, balanced diet based on plants. It just takes planning, the same kind of attention we would give to creating any balanced diet.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Be sure you flush with TONS of water. I took on a plant-based diet and developed hyperoxaluria (oxalates are in fruit, veg, nuts, whole grains) and developed seriously huge kidney stones (oxalates can form kidney stones, mine were the size of chicken eggs and had to be removed surgically) ... as well as other oxalate-related skin problems that go away completely when I avoid oxalates completely.

It's a B@#$ because I love veggies, fruits, nuts and grains.

But some bodies were not designed to handle them well. I live on mostly meat, dairy and less-than-whole-grain carbs.

(But still VERY healthy in terms of blood levels now, and still losing weight!)

I recommend moderation in ALL things, even the "healthy" stuff.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Since when were legumes, lentils, and rice fruit and veg?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - well - we-ll, legumes, lentils and rice are seeds of the fruits of plants so I am going to squeeze them in that way. I think the original poster was meaning a Vegan diet including these things but is still at the investigatin phase.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad, but you will be missing out very important for you benefits that other foods like nuts and seeds can give you.