Bit of a rant

Options
We currently have a lady from Herbal life in our office "assessing" people's body fat, water? and goodness only knows what. She was invited by one of the ladies in my office who is using the Herbal life shakes and has just become a sales person for the company. I am refusing to go and be assessed as I personally think she is just another salesperson looking to make a sale and the only thing that will be lighter at the end of the day will be everyone's wallets. I have given my opinion to my colleagues and have told them that I believe that any diet works in the short term as you are reducing calories but you can't live your life on shakes. I feel like my whole office has gone mad and I am being totally ignored for daring to suggest that the lady is just out to make money and will tell them whatever makes them buy. Proof of this further was a lady who told me she doesn't need to diet she is happy as she is and is just going to make a few lifestyle changes who promptly left the boardroom and asked our colleague how much the shakes and the teas would be. Am I in the middle of a twilight zone episode? Has everyone been brainwashed except for me?
The irritating thing is that I am the only one in that office who has ever lost a large amount of weight (although got pregnant and lost focus for a while) without any of the miracle potions and lotions that they all seem willing to believe in and I am living proof that you don't need to spend a fortune to lose weight.
Why am I feeling so irritated? It's their money to lose after all?

Rant over

Replies

• gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same about the whole Herbalife bandwagon. My OH's brother became a Herbalife consultant last year, despite NEVER having had to alter his weight in any way. He now makes a living from giving weight loss advice to people?!?

My mother is a big believer in anything with shakes, or meal replacements, or starving yourself in general. I've had several long conversations with her about losing weight in the short term vs. long term, yo yo dieting etc, but she is so frustrated with what she sees as slow weight loss (1-2lbs per week) that she just jumps on the next bandwagon.

Working out and exercising more has caused me to SAVE money, not spend $100 a week extra on meals from a cup.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be entranced by these meal replacement programmes.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There's no magic way to lose weight. Less calories in than you need equals weight loss. Shakes may work for a while, but in the end it's not sustainable and the weight more often than not will all come back. This is a journey....eat well!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    leave the stupid people to be stupid and you do you!
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you! Of course they are going to lose weight if they're living off shakes. A lot of my friends have started using them and I think they're crazy :) - personally I have to eat something, can't have a shake as a meal replacement!!
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some people just believe that there should be an easy fix. Too bad it usually makes it worse for them in the long run. All you can do is let them know how you feel (which you did already) and then step back and keep at your own progress. I used to work with a lot of people who complained about their weight all the time but refused to do anything in which they might sweat at all. All I could do is just shake my head and tune them out when their miracle "diet" didn't work and they wasted their money.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The miracle cure...we all know what we should do to lose weight. But...what if this new "Pill, shake, weird diet" is the key to finally being skinny!?!

The temptation of it possibly working even though, rationally we know it won't, is sometimes hard to over come.
    Usually ends up with money being wasted and weight loss being temporary.

I know people who are like this, and to be honest back in my 20s I was one of them....

You can try to educate (without badgering), but other than that, there's not much you can do other than letting them learn on their own.

There will never be an end to people looking for help or people promoting the next great thing.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I agree with not using all these shakes, cleanses etc. my original motivation to lose came one morning listening to two girlfriends talking about using Advocare shakes etc for a month and losing 8 lbs. of course they gained it back but, I decided not to say anything and just lose by eating less and exercising. I lost and they just watched!!! I know they spend a ton of money on energy powders and cleansing crap. What a waste of money!!!
  • KatyP29
    KatyP29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have seen these and even considered them, The one I have been shown is the "9 day detox" but I know people who do them everytime they have a holiday to go on or a special occasion to attend. Obviously if they need to keep re-doing the detox then they don't work in the long run?

A 9 day detox will only work for 9 days, Unless you plan to continue eating 500 calories a day for the rest of your life. I want to lose weight but no way is it worth starving yourself!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just let them do what they want. Support the weight loss just not the method. I do that with a lot of people on this site actually.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    It's that time of year where everyone wants the magic pill so they can get their resolution over with before they lose their resolve in a few weeks.

Just ignore them and move on.

I am grateful that workplace sales are not authorized in my workplace.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It's that time of year where everyone wants the magic pill so they can get their resolution over with before they lose their resolve in a few weeks.

This! I find it odd that your company is ok with one of their employees peddling a product in their place of business. Most companies have policies against using work time for private endeavours..
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Herbalife, like Amway and MonaVie, are pyramid schemes that offer a product and so are legal. Their products aren't necessarily any better and are sometimes worse than what's available through normal retail sources. But a lot of people drink the Kool-Ade and sign up. The problem, from your perspective, is that trying to tell people that it's just not so isn't well received. Since it's probably not dangerous for any of the participants (it's their money even if badly spent) there's little to be gained by telling them it's not the way to go. Remember what happened to John the Baptist? In this case it's probably better to politely decline, say that you've tried it and didn't like the results, and let it go at that. No point getting more involved than that. Sometimes people just have to learn from mistakes.
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

This! I find it odd that your company is ok with one of their employees peddling a product in their place of business. Most companies have policies against using work time for private endeavours..

It's a fairly small company and pretty much anything goes, so promoting friends and relatives products/services during lunch breaks are not particularly frowned upon although I think that a change in policy would not be a bad thing as believe me these people are very easily parted from their hard earned cash by any snake oil salesmen that chooses to call by.
    It also has a lot to do with the fact that my boss is very laid back and is permanently on some sort of eating plan, although in the 8 years I have worked here and all the salads and healthy foods he has brought to work I have never seen his shape change.
    I am also appalled at the lengths this woman chose to resort to. One of the very average sized ladies in our admin department is totally stressed now as she was told that she was obese and that her calcium levels need to be boosted as her bone mass is low (not sure how you can tell all that from stepping on a scale??)
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Herbalife, like Amway and MonaVie, are pyramid schemes that offer a product and so are legal. Their products aren't necessarily any better and are sometimes worse than what's available through normal retail sources. But a lot of people drink the Kool-Ade and sign up. The problem, from your perspective, is that trying to tell people that it's just not so isn't well received. Since it's probably not dangerous for any of the participants (it's their money even if badly spent) there's little to be gained by telling them it's not the way to go. Remember what happened to John the Baptist? In this case it's probably better to politely decline, say that you've tried it and didn't like the results, and let it go at that. No point getting more involved than that. Sometimes people just have to learn from mistakes.

You're totally correct but I have seen them try and fail so many times before I just want them to see the light and enjoy the benefits like I did. and I just can't stand the hungry puppy dog eyes staring at my balanced and MFP logged lunch (including a small low cal chocolate bar) as they sip on their shake. Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to let them get on with it and hope that they realize for themselves.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

It's a fairly small company and pretty much anything goes, so promoting friends and relatives products/services during lunch breaks are not particularly frowned upon although I think that a change in policy would not be a bad thing as believe me these people are very easily parted from their hard earned cash by any snake oil salesmen that chooses to call by.
    It also has a lot to do with the fact that my boss is very laid back and is permanently on some sort of eating plan, although in the 8 years I have worked here and all the salads and healthy foods he has brought to work I have never seen his shape change.
    I am also appalled at the lengths this woman chose to resort to. One of the very average sized ladies in our admin department is totally stressed now as she was told that she was obese and that her calcium levels need to be boosted as her bone mass is low (not sure how you can tell all that from stepping on a scale??)

He should really try liking his business enough to not allow his employees to involve his business in workplace practices that can get him sued or cause him HR nightmares.

Really, just ignore them and maybe laugh at their financial foolishness.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    be the only one that meets your goals this year.

they'll listen next time.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    OMG I would totally flip my *kitten* if that happened in any place I have ever worked. I would be really ticked off and I'd write a strongly worded letter to management and/or ownership suggesting they limit such activities to after hours and optional.

W T F
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    When I was in HS I babysat kids for a woman that started to sell the Herbal Life stuff. I thought they were just super vitamins. I don't think I ever realized they were supposed to be to help you lose weight.
    But I understand your frustration in general. That's hard to witness when you know in a month they are going to come to you wondering what they did wrong, you will try to give them advice/tips that they will completely ignore, and proceed to tell everyone that what you are doing doesn't work.
    Try not to let it get on your nerves too much. It's their life to do with as they please.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! You feel bad because these people are not only being swindled out of their money, they are also putting their health in danger by not eating a balanced diet. I am a cub scout leader, and there are 4 scouts in our pack who go to the local doctor in town. These scouts are all on the same meds for adhd. I know that adhd is real and prevalent. I know children usually take meds to control it. I used to teach in a totally different town, so I know the names of most of the common meds. The trouble I have is that these 4 kids take one pill at night to go to sleep then have to take another in the morning to get completely awake. I hate to think about the long term effects on their health. I have talked to parents and urged them to get second opinions, but all of them love this doctor.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Wow apparently no one on here has made stupid diet choices. I sure know i have and it is what has made me appreciate this site that much more. Perhaps it is because you have tried these things in the past and know that they do not work and that is what frustrates you? I agree that seeing someone do something the hard way can be frustrating, but people do stupid things when they are desperate and unfortunately companies like Herbalife have way more media coverage/spamming than good sites like myfitnesspal. You can lead a horse to water....or in this case myfitnesspal, but they will not be willing to listen until they are ready and sadly that might not be until they have failed with fad diets.