Homemade protein bars

Options
FLbaby2012
FLbaby2012 Posts: 16 Member
So I have been on a hunt to find do-able recipes for homemade protein bars in lieu of buying Luna or Cliff bars or the like. I pay $20 at Sams for a box of about 18-20 and my kids are picky about which ones they will eat. They are nice to have aroudn for breakfast on the go, a snack for my son before basketball practice, etc. I figured in the long run, making them at home will save money, be better for us and might even be fun to make.
I found this on Pinterest
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/186195765818068396/

It has links for 9 different bars.

I tried making 2 tonight:
Blueberry Bliss Breakfast Bars, which are gluten free and vegan with dried fruits and nuts, almond butter, unsweetened applesauce and honey for sweetness AND Ginger Vanilla Protein Crunch Bars which are dairy and gluten free.

The blueberry bliss are uncooked (you freeze them for an hour or so to set) but the ginger vanilla crunch bars do bake for 20 min. They smell divine! Can't wait to try them. I haven't worked out what the cost per bar will be but based on what I had to buy (I had many of the ingredients on hand all ready) and how much of each item I still have left, I would say it's definitely worth making vs buying. I guess the taste and the kids' vote will be the final determining factor.

Replies

• cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I will be making a few of these. They do look very good.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    If you want easy morning protein and brain feeding fat without the blood sugar spike and crash of all those carbs, you can make easy baked eggs with cheese in ramekins and simply reheat them in the morning in the microwave. Won't work for on the go as much, but they make a handy and healthy breakfast.