Hit a certain age and stuck at a weight

Options
Hi There,

So I've been thinking a lot about how in the past year I have gained 15 pounds but to most friends and family, no one can tell the difference. However the weight gain has been driving me crazy as I have been working out non-stop, counting calories, etc and finding the scale at a stand still or very easily driven further up.

I turned 24 2 months ago and I'm wondering if maybe it's common for women to hit an age where this suddenly happens and no matter what you do you can't get back down to the weight you just were when you were 23!?! Is this what they talk about when they say getting old sucks?!?

Anyway, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    :huh: I weight less now in my mid 30s and having had three kids, than what I weighed when I was 21 years old. So no. Just, no.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to go back to your 'young' weight, but that it takes a lot more work.

The body does change though and sometimes weight distribution changes too. Even at 23 I notice a difference from my late teens. I used to only gain weight at my bum and hips, now I can tell it goes more to my waist, arms and upper body. Not a lot, but I do fear I won't get back my very slim waist.

My sister's 29 and she says it's as if her body has "found its form". I've heard other people say that too - including a model friend in her 30s who says it's crucial to be slim when you're young, because it'll be 'settling' into a certain shape.

There are different opinions, I agree that the body changes and you won't always get back to a certain shape, but I think everybody can lose weight.

I also think it's more a long term thing - i.e. from 18 to 28, there's a significant difference. Not so rapid from 23 to 24 :)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I weigh less than I did in high school, so that's not exactly true. Yes, you lose muscle mass and you become less active as you get older (or maybe, you become less active and therefore lose muscle mass? I'm sure there are other factors at play, as well.), so your body doesn't process calories the way it used to, but I was able to lose 35 lbs. through diet alone, and I'm 35 years old. :wink:
  • HoverKitteh
    Options
    Unable to lose at 24? I don't think it's your age. You've still got your hormones--you can lose the weight with consistent diet and exercise--probably just exercise! Try hitting 50 and then talk to me about how difficult it is to drop weight. I've been counting calories and working out consistently for over a week and I've gained 2.3 pounds....
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As light as you are, it may just be that your body prefers to be at that "higher" weight. On top of that, if you're doing any sort of resistance work such as weights, swimming, sprinting, climbing stairs... you're going to be building muscle. And that muscle translates to a higher number on the scale when your pants size is staying the same. (Which might explain why your family isn't seeing it.)

Just keep focusing on being *healthy* rather than what the scale says.
  • blindcode
    Options
    I'm thinner now than I was 20 years ago and steadily loosing, so no. I would look at what you're eating.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    As light as you are, it may just be that your body prefers to be at that "higher" weight. On top of that, if you're doing any sort of resistance work such as weights, swimming, sprinting, climbing stairs... you're going to be building muscle. And that muscle translates to a higher number on the scale when your pants size is staying the same. (Which might explain why your family isn't seeing it.)

Just keep focusing on being *healthy* rather than what the scale says.

Absolutely untrue.

She'd have to be lifting a LOT of weight while eating a calorie surplus to be building any muscle. Also, cardio does not build muscle.
  • alposie
    alposie Posts: 10
    Options
    Your' body is used to what you're doing to it. Counting calories doesn't help you lose weight unless you reduce the calories. What was previously a caloric deficit is now your' maintenance. Take a week "off" increase your calories a bit, maybe 100 - 200 calories, then cut back down 300 - 400. I am running with the assumption that you have been counting the same number of calories and doing a similar amount of cardio for a while now, if you want to lose weight you have to eat less. It truly is as simple as that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    your 24!!! seriously!! come back and ask this question again in 20+ years!! (oh to be that young again lol)
    I'm 44 and yes, its harder than it was in my 20's but its absolutely working, stay under your daily quota, get active and you'll lose - it really is that simple :)
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No. You can lose weight at any age. I decided I wanted to lose 15 pounds when I was in my 50s...and not only did it but did so within months.

You have to change your metabolism to change your body's "set point" weight. If you are doing a lot of exercise it may be that your body has just adapted to what you're doing and you need to change it up.

For me, the difference was to cut out "white food" (junk food, sugar, pasta, starchy veg) and began to lift weights. I changed my body's set point (the one it had adhered to for decades even though in those prior years I'd tried various diets/exercises) and it was pretty resilient.

Hope you can find something that works for you. :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,420 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, in better shape than I was in high school (and weigh about 5lbs less) and even with only 1/3 of my thyroid, if I watch my calorie intake, I lose. It's not age honey.