Water

Options
I can't seem to drink enough water. i don't like the taste. What do you do to your water to make it more refreshing?

Also, will drinking 8+ cups of water actually help me loose weight? Am I hindering my weight loss by not drinking enough water?

Replies

• iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water seemed to help me lose weight, because once I started to drink enough water and I hadn't changed anything else in my diet, it became easier. Plus, I feel fuller when I drink a lot of water at a meal, so I eat less.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Crystal Lite Flavor Packets are great to add to your water to "spice" it up a bit.
    I wouldn't say that you're "hindering" but drinking water does make you feel full & keep you from snacking on things - which can prevent you from going over your daily calorie goal
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need plain water. Does it taste "funny", try to get a Brita filter - it will remove all the funny tasting stuff.
    Drink it with a straw - usually you tend to drink more that way (example how much easier is it to drink a soda from a cup you get at McDonald's than from a can or just in a glass).
    Keep it really cold.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It absolutely helps you lose! I started years ago with Propel (I gave up sodas). Now I CRAVE just pure clean water and drink it all day :-)
  • Mahooka
    Mahooka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Before Breakfast - Take 1 green M&M with 8-10 ounces of water
    After Breakfast - Take 1 red M&M with 8-10 ounces of water
    Before Lunch - Take 1 orange M&M with 8-10 ounces of water
    After Lunch - Take 1 brown M&M with 8-10 ounces of water
    Before Dinner - Take another M&M with 8-10ounces of water
    After Dinner - Take another M&M with 8-10 ounces of water
    Before Bed - Take another M&M with 8-10 ounces of water

Make sure you use the bathroom before you go to bed.
    If you use Peanut M&M's they go down better if you chew them 1st and you get some protein.

Seriously, I felt the same way and made myself drink it, now I prefer it throughout the day and with every meal.

Good luck!
  • sammieee79
    Options
    i don't honestly know if water helps anyone lose weight, but it does make you fill fuller than without drinking it. the most important part is your body needs it to function and to complete its processes. i add cucumber slices to it which sounds wierd, but makes it taste very refreshing! lemon is a good standby too!
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://www.diet-blog.com/08/the_mythical_daily_water_requirement.php

Water Intake - Not Just From Water
    Counter to what I've just presented, we actually DO need at LEAST 8 glasses of water per day. But here's the catch: This intake is satisfied not only from water intake, but also from other fluids, the food we eat and the metabolic processes required to break down that food.
    Juice and milk contribute to hydration and (surprisingly enough) so do caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. I probably don't have to tell you though, that alcoholic beverages are not recommended to help you meet your fluid requirements. Regarding caffeine - many people still believe it causes dehydration, however studies as early as 1928 have shown otherwise.

The fluid from food and its accompanying metabolic action alone can account for as much as 6 glasses of water! Water is the best fluid - no argument there, but don't get caught up in the absurdity of forcing down extra glasses of water if you have a coffee.

There is some study to counter every other study, but I have read several recently that said any liquid counts. I do know that days I drink more water, I weigh less the next morning. I've also read it helps flush sodium and even some fat out of your body.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options

If you use Peanut M&M's they go down better if you chew them 1st and you get some protein.

Seriously, I felt the same way and made myself drink it, now I prefer it throughout the day and with every meal.

Good luck!

Ok-this is just awesome!
  • lizzieann2010
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try the straw thing. I can drink a soda through a straw in no time.

Our water doesn't taste funny, but i just can't stand drinking water because it is so plain. I'll have to get a cup with a straw. Maybe i'll treat myself to one of acrylic Starbuck's cups with a straw
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help ;)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics which make you pass water so you avoid them or keep them to a minimum. The toxins released from burning fat needs to be carried away with the water or it will be added to other fat cells. When I drink more water not only do I feel more full, I feel like it is working to clear out the toxins because my mood is improved and so is my weight loss. I was losing 2 lbs/wk before a running related injury. I was up to 7 miles a day so I was forced to replace all that I sweat out and then some. I'm back at it now and working to get my mileage back up. Now that I've joined MFP it will hold me more accountable because it has a water counter at the bottom of the food page. Awesome!!
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    are you exercising enough? try increasing your exercise and that craving for water will appear...

i also agree that flavor packets can help, even a fresh lemon wedge...
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Good luck!

The m&m thing is a neat idea but Id probably just end up munching the bag. Kudos to you for self control :laugh:
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try the straw thing. I can drink a soda through a straw in no time.

Our water doesn't taste funny, but i just can't stand drinking water because it is so plain. I'll have to get a cup with a straw. Maybe i'll treat myself to one of acrylic Starbuck's cups with a straw

I need one f those cups. i waste so much money on bottled water to take to the gym and I know the greenie, Al Gore groupies would not be pleased with my lack of care for the enviornment
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Speaking to the straw issue and water bottles, go to BBandB and you can buy a 32 oz. colored opaque bottle with a straw and a removable freezer stick to keep your drink cold for hours. The freezer stick is an inch in diameter and 6+ inches long. I stick it in the freezer overnight and next morning when I run I have a cold drink in the cup holder on the treadmill. As far as the plain water taste, make your drink mixes weaker and weaker until you can switch to straight water.
  • tracylee1980
    tracylee1980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop & now drink Propel flavored water! It's really good!
  • stamy6
    stamy6 Posts: 27
    Options
    The M&M trick is so awesome!!!
    I only drink my water at room temperature and experimenting with different brands will help some too!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    For me room temp is good except when I run. Then I prefer it to be cold because it's more refreshing.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I gotta be the strange one and say I prefer room temp, or even, warm water. If it is cold then my teeth complain and I drink really, really slowly. A room temp bottle though, I can chug that down.

So good. I love water! I hope you can love it too, soon!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    http://www.diet-blog.com/08/the_mythical_daily_water_requirement.php

Water Intake - Not Just From Water
    Counter to what I've just presented, we actually DO need at LEAST 8 glasses of water per day. But here's the catch: This intake is satisfied not only from water intake, but also from other fluids, the food we eat and the metabolic processes required to break down that food.
    Juice and milk contribute to hydration and (surprisingly enough) so do caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. I probably don't have to tell you though, that alcoholic beverages are not recommended to help you meet your fluid requirements. Regarding caffeine - many people still believe it causes dehydration, however studies as early as 1928 have shown otherwise.

The fluid from food and its accompanying metabolic action alone can account for as much as 6 glasses of water! Water is the best fluid - no argument there, but don't get caught up in the absurdity of forcing down extra glasses of water if you have a coffee.

There is some study to counter every other study, but I have read several recently that said any liquid counts. I do know that days I drink more water, I weigh less the next morning. I've also read it helps flush sodium and even some fat out of your body.

This!! Every day people ask about water, caffeinated beverages, etc. and most people still believe that pure water is the only thing that counts... that's bunk! Water is water and your body uses it whether it's from food or from tea or from plain water. I dont' advocate drinking only coffee or only soda or anything like that - but a moderate amount of caffeine is not going to cause a diuretic effect.