Are flight meals calorie packed?

Options
I'm going for a long haul flight day after tomorrow. I've heard that flight meals average around 3000-4000 calories. Do you recommend that I ask for a low calorie meal? I've heard that airlines add fat to make the food more tasty, but this just what I picked up from a website.

Replies

• Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I found the diabetic meal very good. I am not diabetic but their idea of healthy eating meal is not mine but diabetic works!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Flights still serve meals?? :laugh:
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't know what flights are those, but most of the long haul flights I've been on (mostly Japan Airlines and Air France) have their calories on the menu and usually go around 400-500 a meal. They also serve complimentary soda and alcohol, so you CAN get to 3000 calories if you really, really try I suppose. But otherwise you should be safe:)

Flight meals are usually made to be rather light and well balanced, so they wouldn't make their passengers sick. Were they to pack 2000 calories in those small trays, I'm sure there would be some serious casualties on a daily basis:)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    buy food in the terminal at one of the stores or take out areas after security and take it on the plane.. don't eat plane food.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm on low carb high fat diet, and usually I can eat meals on planes without issues. A few strategies I use is not accept or eat the dinner rolls when offered. I don't touch the rice or potatoes that is usually accompanied with the meat or chicken or fish. I use the butter (that is originally intended for the bread) to put on my steak/chicken/fish. Skip the dessert, but accept the cheese course. I pick the Lindt dark chocolate or the bag of nuts when they pass with the snacks basket.

Yes, I fly business class....tee hee. The food can be really nice.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Total flight calories from sfo to Paris was about 2000 cals for 2 meals and a snack over 11 hrs (no soda) yesterday. I leave the butter and salad dressing.

It's a single day. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Depends on the airline, and what kind of meal you order. I always find that the vegetarian meals I specially reserve prior to my flights are a lot healthier-looking than some of the meat meals.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just ( a week ago ) flew from New Zealand to New York (total 23 hours of flying time on three planes) on Qantas, and the meals were fairly hefty... shepherd's pie, cheese-laden tortollini, cheesy frittata with sausage and minimal fresh veggies.

The poor woman next to me was vegan and had forgotten to request a special meal, so all she got the entire flight was two teensy servings of spinach, and three equally sized 1/4 cup servings of fruit salad-- all donated by us (her two seatmates).

On the return (I leave in a day) I have requested diabetic meals, and will report on how those went. I'm stashing some low-cal cheese sticks and a few slices of Peppridge Farm Very Thin bread slices along with some fresh fruit to round out meals if they are too meager, lol. (Just have to remember to throw them away before clearing customs!)

I have heard that Qantas has combined the low-calorie meals with the diabetic meals so that they essentially contain the same ingredients.

I second the poster who says buy a healthy salad in the terminal before getting on the plane... just in case!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I recommend you just bring your own healthy foods/snacks. Last time I was on a flight that's what I did and it worked out great.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've had both vegan and vegetarian meals that were light. I recommend asking for the vegan meal if you're concerned about hidden fat, since they can't add butter to the vegan meal.