McDonalds

TwiFan5
TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I have not had anything from McDonald's in a long time but I am having McDonald's for lunch today with the family and I can't exactly not eat anything so I was wondering if there is anything remotely healthy and that won't have too many calories?

Thank you

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    What ever you order, only eat 1/2 of it. I recommend not eating any french fries - I saw one person post that 6 french fries had this enormous amount of calories attached - not me = no thank you.

A salad with light dressing - no croutons. A grilled chicken sandwich - remove one bun and ask for no mayo.

Vickie
  • McDonalds Asian Salad:

Get the low-fat balsamic vinaigrette and it's 340 calories.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    salad, with dressing on the side. eat as little of the dressing as you can manage.

fruit and yogurt parfait for dessert?

Water to drink.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    The southwest chicken salad is actually pretty healthy as long as you get grilled, not fried chicken.
    And maybe skip the tortilla crips that they give you, ask for them to put them on the side so you can use them sparingly.
  • TwiFan5
    I was actually thinking of having a Grilled Chicken Salad but I don't know if McDonald's even sells them, I suppose it doesn't really matter what I have because I should still meet my goals as long as we have something that is low in calories for dinner but I am not sure what that will be yet so I can't even count all my calories for today and tomorrow and it is the weekend.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    I'm in love with their Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad. 320 calories naked. I like to squeeze the lime and add *maybe* a teaspoon of the Southwest dressing and give that puppy a shake. Yum!
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    ohhh one thing i love about knowing where you are going out to eat beforehand is that you can look it up in the database and find the most healthy (but also most what you want to eat option) on the menu! this only works for chains and other places reported in the database. which sucks cause my friends and i like to eat out at the smaller places around town.

anyway, egg mcmuffins have a lot of fat, but also a ton of protein! i remember reading about that in eat this, not that. and 300 calories, which isn't too bad.

filet of fish also has a lot of fat, but is 380 calories and 15g of protein! i don't know about you though, but i hate fried fish D:

a SMALL french fry is 280 calories... so i would stay away from that. maybe take a few from your family, or share one if you need your fry fix, but yeah.

classic grilled chicken sandwhich... 32g of protein!!!! and 420 calories.

anyway sorry i got excited doing this, ahha. but yeah take a look in the database before you go. or well this is probably later in the day, but for next time :D
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    The grilled chicken wraps with light sauce (the honey mustard one is only 260) and an order of apple dippers...The one that I work at on the back of the tray liners it has all the calories and nutrition facts listed on it or you can ask the cashier for one.
  • i like the Big Mac Wraps without sauce.
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    I always eat a kids meal, I think its somewhere around 490 calories for a 4 peice nugget and fry meal.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Be careful with the salads, the dressing can make it as bad as a burger!

I like the filet o fish, myself, but get it with no cheese. You really can't taste the cheese anyways with the tartar and all so no big loss by getting it without.

And definitely get the apple dippers instead of fries. I always do that. They are pretty good and even if you eat all the caramel dip (which you probably won't; I never do), the whole thing (apples + dip) is only 100 cals and only 1 g of fat. Plus, you get a nice little dessert at the end of your meal! =)
  • try the chicken sandwich and remember to ask for no mayo and extra lettuce or a filet o fish
  • If I go to McDonalds I get the cheeseburger happy meal. Yes it is quite a bit of calories, but I don't go to McDonalds every day. It's small portions and it's better than a Big Mac! :)
  • cheeseburger and small fries and diet soda is my recommendation. not healthy, mind you but can eat with your family without feeling too deprived and not blowing your diet.
  • TwiFan5
    I think that I will either go with the Southwest Chicken Salad or the Honey Mustard Chicken Wrap. Thanks for the advice, it was very much appreciated. :)
  • Oh my god - I read this and I am totally in the same boat. My family and I are having maccas for lunch and I know they will be all up in my face if I get like a salad (cos their not too supportive of the whole losing weight idea)

Anywhoo - this is about you - I would say go for the salad options, however if your family isn't aware of the whole strict dieting stuff...I'd say go for a usual fat meal, and compensate by cutting out your overdone calories another day - or exercise heaps and work off your remainders like tomorrow? It probably doesn't sound like the best option - and it brings in the whole 'I'll do it later' aspect, but it's just a thought. Let us know how it goes :)
  • TwiFan5
    I ended up having half a Crispy Chicken Caesar Wrap - Australia, I managed to slip the wrapped up other half in my bag which the dogs will now get and I didn't have a drink or ice cream so will now have a chocolate paddle pop, did I do well or should I just not have the paddle pop. :)

Also how do I say that I only had half the wrap in the food diary?
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    At work today I had to take one of the men I support to McDonald's as part of his community inclusion time. The deal is, he gets to purchase whatever he wants, and the staff who goes with him gets to eat up to $10 worth of food.

So, knowing that I was going to be his staff, I came up with the idea that a Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken and the Light Italian was going to do it for me. I hadn't had McDonald's since I started this weight loss journey in earnest, so I was kind of excited to go there and still get something half-way decent.

Got there, walked in the door, and dang near vomited. Lost ALL my appetite. Went back to work and had an Amy's Organic Bowl instead, lol.

Just can't stand the aroma of processed fatty food anymore I guess.
  • TwiFan5
    I put it down as 0.5 in my food diary, if it's not correct then I will change it and instead of the chocolate paddle pop I have gone with a crunchy nut muesli bar. Feel free to check out my food diary and give me some constructive criticism. Thank you :)
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    I have not had anything from McDonald's in a long time but I am having McDonald's for lunch today with the family and I can't exactly not eat anything so I was wondering if there is anything remotely healthy and that won't have too many calories?

Thank you

Going to McDonald's for something healthy is like going to a prostitute for a hug.
This discussion has been closed.