Diet whey protein shakes

Options
This might be a long ask so I apologise!

My goal is to lose body fat and build muscle. Not 'bulk up' but become lean and toned.

My weekly routine (starting again when I get back to uni):

Monday: 5 mile run & 1hour of netball training.
Tuesday: 5 mile run, 1hour netball match and 1hr 'cardio HIIT' class.
Wednesday: 2 hours arm, shoulders and back weights.
Thursday: 45min spin class, 1:30 hr leg weights.
Friday: 45min spin class
Saturday: 10k run.
Sunday: body maxx class

An average day I would eat:

Weetabix with almond milk and raisins
Baked potato with tuna, green beans and baby sweet corn
Prawn stirfry

Weetabix with almond milk and raisins
Prawn stirfry
Chicken breast with veg (no potatoes)

I was wondering whether I should switch to having a diet whey protein shake for my breakfast and then have another after I've been doing weights?

If anyone could help me out that would be a really great help!
Thanks guys!

Replies

• baltimorewriter
    Options
    Just a question: Is there any reason why you are using whey protein instead of something plant-based? Many women are lactose-intolerant as they become older. I use brown rice or pea protein--the pea protein I am using has 22 grams of protein in it. I also find there are a lot of nasty additives in why protein, including sucralose and artificial nasties that don't need to be there. A protein shake is all well and fine--I have a protein smoothie for breakfast every morning with fruit and spinach blended in, but as far as I'm concerned whey is the wrong way. Check ALL of the ingredients in your protein powder. You want to put good things in a body you are treating well.
  • RosieMaherx
    Options
    Thankyou!
    I haven't really thought about using plant based things. As a student I've just tried to find the least time consuming and cheap option. My flatmate swears by diet whey, and her body is amazing. I've never heard of pea protein before! I'll check that out. Thanks.
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started using hemp protein powder. everything i read about it made it seem like a great alternative to whey (dairy and i don't get along) i've read that whey is pretty toxic to the body and that hemp is the most digestible, while offering EFA's as well.

btw, your workout routine is intense! good job girl!

http://www.hemp.com/hemp-education/uses-of-hemp/hemp-seed-and-hemp-oil/
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Are you actually wanting to gain muscle? As in, add muscle mass to your body? Make your muscles bigger?

Or is it more that you want to lose the fat to reveal the muscle definition underneath (which is what I'm getting from "lean & toned)?

Are you struggling to get a certain amount of protein? That would be the reason to supplement with shakes, they don't have any other particular benefit. The protein your body needs can come from anywhere. If you're going for whey - I don't use any labelled "diet", but you just want to check the nutritional info and make sure you're getting a decent amount of protein for the calories.

Having an amazing body has more to do with her calorie intake (and to a certain extent getting enough protein), the exercise you do and to a large extent, genetics.

By the way, how many calories are you getting? It doesn't sound like you eat very much for all the activity you do. Obviously, I don't know the quantities you're eating. Do you eat the same foods every day? If so, any particular reason? Sorry for all the questioning!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    First of all, building muscle and bulking are one in the same. You can't build muscle if you are in a calorie deficit to lose weight. So, if your goal is to lose weight, I would just make sure I am getting plenty of protein and doing a strength training workout to retain muscle while losing fat. You're already doing some strength training, but you're doing a lot of cardio. If it's working for you, that's great, but if something changes later down the road, maybe focus more on strength training to see changes in your body composition.

I would say you only need a protein shake if you're low on your protein macro. It's possible, if you're only eating what you listed in your OP. Good luck!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thankyou!
    I haven't really thought about using plant based things. As a student I've just tried to find the least time consuming and cheap option. My flatmate swears by diet whey, and her body is amazing. I've never heard of pea protein before! I'll check that out. Thanks.

I see you're from across the pond, so I don't know what whey protein supplements are available there, but most manufacturers know that their consumers want more bang for their buck. This just means most shakes are going to have high protein and low sugar/carbs for a reasonable amount of calories without having to stick the label "diet" on it. Your flatmate may have an amazing body, but I bet it has more to do with her diet as a whole, not just a protein shake. I'll echo what JesterMFP says too. You can get protein from a variety of sources. It doesn't have to be a shake.
  • RosieMaherx
    Options
    Are you actually wanting to gain muscle? As in, add muscle mass to your body? Make your muscles bigger?

Or is it more that you want to lose the fat to reveal the muscle definition underneath (which is what I'm getting from "lean & toned)?

Are you struggling to get a certain amount of protein? That would be the reason to supplement with shakes, they don't have any other particular benefit. The protein your body needs can come from anywhere. If you're going for whey - I don't use any labelled "diet", but you just want to check the nutritional info and make sure you're getting a decent amount of protein for the calories.

Having an amazing body has more to do with her calorie intake (and to a certain extent getting enough protein), the exercise you do and to a large extent, genetics.

By the way, how many calories are you getting? It doesn't sound like you eat very much for all the activity you do. Obviously, I don't know the quantities you're eating. Do you eat the same foods every day? If so, any particular reason? Sorry for all the questioning!

Okay, maybe I just want to stay the same muscle wise but lose the fat to reveal them!

At home I find it very hard to get protein because I stick to a veggie/ almost vegan diet because of my parents. But at uni I eat fish and chicken. I am finding it hard to add more protein to my diet without adding lots of fats (although I know I do need stone fats).

I eat pretty much the same things. Some days I might have 4 meals if I come in from training late and really want something to eat. Mist of my meals revolve around tuna, chicken and prawns. So baked potatoes, currys, stirfrys, accompanied with veg. When I was counting my calories properly I was eating around 1800 calories. I want to increase my intake but I want to bulk it up with protein, not carbs!

Thank you for your help!!!
  • RosieMaherx
    Options
    I just started using hemp protein powder. everything i read about it made it seem like a great alternative to whey (dairy and i don't get along) i've read that whey is pretty toxic to the body and that hemp is the most digestible, while offering EFA's as well.

btw, your workout routine is intense! good job girl!

http://www.hemp.com/hemp-education/uses-of-hemp/hemp-seed-and-hemp-oil/

Thanyou lovely!!
  • RosieMaherx
    Options
    Thankyou!

I see you're from across the pond, so I don't know what whey protein supplements are available there, but most manufacturers know that their consumers want more bang for their buck. This just means most shakes are going to have high protein and low sugar/carbs for a reasonable amount of calories without having to stick the label "diet" on it. Your flatmate may have an amazing body, but I bet it has more to do with her diet as a whole, not just a protein shake. I'll echo what JesterMFP says too. You can get protein from a variety of sources. It doesn't have to be a shake.

I honestly don't know much about the whole protein supplement thing. I was just wondering whether it would help. By everything that I've heard now I should be looking for natural alternatives!

Thankyou for your help!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio and not enough strength training days, and too much on days you do. eating and exercising like you mentioned will cause you to lose muscle, not gain it, you need a surplus to gain any noticeable muscle, and strength training, enough protein, and a small deficit to lose fat without losing much muscle.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting an appropriate protein target for your goals there's no need to add a protein shake. It's a supplement that is meant to help people reach their protein goals.