Workout routine for weight loss

Options
I'm 27 year old guy who is getting back into shape for the first time in about 7-8 years. Does anybody have any suggestions on a workout regiment to help lose weight? I played sports in my younger days so I know how lift weights, but not for the purpose of losing weight. Any input would be greatly appreciated. (I'm going to include the Couch to 5k program as well so I'm not just hitting the weights)

Replies

• AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    basic workout tips

1. if it's going to be an easy workout = 30-to-90 minutes daily for results
    2. if it's goign to be high intensity = 20-40 minutes 3-to-4 days per week 1-to-2 times per day.

easy, medium and hard are all relative so walking to me may be very tough while it may be easy for you
  • jc_cooley
    Options
    I guess what I'm asking is something along the lines of what are the best lifts and what kind of sets/reps to do that typically result in the the best wieght loss results. I know how to lift, I'm just looking for what to lift. Also, would anyone recommend running before or after lifting?

Thank you for your response, any input is appreciated
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I like the site www.freetrainers.com they have workouts for beginners through intermediate. I think C25K is great! Lifting weights before cardio is probably best.
  • t_welch11
    t_welch11 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would suggest spending a little bit for a few sessions with a personal trainer to put you on the right track and so you don't get a million different answers that wont work for you. It all depends on your body, schedule, time, and commitment. I just recently hired a personal trainer to help me get started and it has been a huge help in getting me on track and started with something I can get into!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Diet leads to weight loss.

Exercise leads to fitness (cardiovascular, muscular endurance, muscular strength, muscular mass, balance, or flexibility). Yes, exercise burns calories, but you'll need to eat back those calories in order to maintain the program.

Start with your goals and then build a diet and exercise program for that. It is easier if you focus on one thing at a time, so you'll be more effective. Doing two isn't all that hard, but if you try to do three or more, you're likely shorting your progress.
  • jc_cooley
    Options
    I have changed my diet greatly over that last 10 or so months. Over that time I have lost almost 30 pounds but my weight loss seems to have stopped. While my diet is greatly improved, it is still not ideal due to my living arrangements (living with my parents while my house is being finished).