Deadlift, proper form at the top

Options
So, you know how 99% of people when deadlifting, they pull their back past center and go back a bit at the top of the move?

Is this good or bad?

I have researched it, and it seems that it's bad, but everyone does it. I don't. I stop dead center with spine straight, and squeeze my glutes. But, I see almost everyone go backward, some a lot, some a little.

It seems so ouchy and wrong. But, I can't find a definitive answer.

I might regret asking here, but I can't help it. It drives me nuts.

I guess I don't care if you're deadlifting 40 lbs. but, if you have in excess of 300lbs on the bar, I don't think that's a good move. Just my opinion, but looking for someone that knows.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like there is this idea that you are pulling the chest back at the top- but it's an illusion.

You are pushing your hips through. it's finishing the movement.

And there is nothing wrong with pushing your hips through to lock out- you don't want to hyper extend- but if you are properly tensioned/braced- your low back shouldn't be in any danger.

You don't want to go crazy and fall over- and you aren't like power cleaning it off the floor to you thighs- just pick it up- and finish it with lock out. And call it the lift. and then set it down.

Helpful yes? no?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I dunno. I lockout my hips, but I don't pull my chest back like many people. I'm straight up and down.

That's exactly how I do it. I think people have a tendency to overextend at the top by having their chest out too much and therefore overextending their lower back. Totally unnecessary.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think many people confuse extending the hips, and extending the spine.

In my experience\opinion:

If your hip range of motion means that when they are fully extended you are slightly leaned back, no problem.

If your hip range of motion is less than this, but you've seen other people who have greater ROM and you extend your spine to imitate, not so good.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this, too. I've seen a couple of people do it, and I was beginning to think that I wasn't finishing out my lifts, because I finish with my spine straight.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    wait and see who doesn't come back to do legs for a week that's how you know who overextended and pulled their lower bar.

there is a fine line between locking out and over extending and as you lift heavier over doing it even a bit will cause discomfort. form is key